* Re: [yocto] bbappend usage
       [not found] <MADEUP.16B1474819B9F6FA.19066@lists.yoctoproject.org>
@ 2021-10-25 13:11 ` Leon Woestenberg
       [not found]   ` <MADEUP.16B148FB50D2BC13.19066@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2021-10-25 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steven.monsees; +Cc: yocto

Hello Steve,

Is the approach where you remove the recipes from the image an option?
Is there a reason why you want to build the recipes that you do not
want to appear in your image?

Regards,

Leon.

--
Leon Woestenberg
leon@sidebranch.com

Sidebranch Embedded Systems
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
http://www.sidebranch.com

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 2:55 PM Monsees, Steven C (US) via
lists.yoctoproject.org

@ 2021-10-25 13:22 ` Konrad Weihmann
From: Konrad Weihmann @ 2021-10-25 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steven.monsees, yocto

The super yoctoish way would be to alter the packaging of the recipe to
your needs.

Let's assume recipe-a consists of the files

foo
bar

and it would package both files into recipe-a pkg.

In the actual image you only install packages into a file system, so if
you don't want bar to be installed into your final image, it'd be best
to package bar into a separate package.

PACKAGES_BEFORE_PN = "${PN}-bar"
FILES:${PN}-bar = "bar"

in this case the recipe would produce

recipe-a (containing just foo)
recipe-a-bar (containing just bar)

You could install now (via IMAGE_INSTALL in your image recipe) just add
recipe-a and only foo would be put into the final image.

While a potential other image (IMAGE_INSTALL += "recipe-a-bar recipe-a")
would contain both.

But if you'd go down that road you have to make sure that runtime
dependencies between the packages are met (using REDEPENDS:*
statements), as otherwise it could turn into very hard to debug issues.
So I would propose to **not** do that via bbappends, but forks of the
recipes you want to repackage.

Another option (as likely mentioned already) is to use

rem_stuff() {
    rm ${IMAGE_ROOTFS}/<file you want to delete>
}

ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += "rem_stuff;"

in your image recipe

On 25.10.21 14:55, Monsees, Steven C (US) via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
> Hello:
>
> If I am building an image “image-ABC”, and it is composed of a number
> recipes, and for some of these recipes I may NOT want to install their
> final components within my image…
>
> Which is the best place to modify the build with bbappend ?
>
> Would I modify a recipe’s do_install (do_install_append-recipe_xyz) ?,
> or would I modify the image recipe (do_install_append-image_ABC) I am
> leaning this way to avoid cases where the component recipes might have
> bbappends in place already ?
>
> Looking for the proper Yocto way…
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

* RE: [yocto] bbappend usage
@ 2021-10-25 13:26   ` Monsees, Steven C (US)
       [not found]   ` <MADEUP.16B148FB50D2BC13.19066@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Monsees, Steven C (US) @ 2021-10-25 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Woestenberg; +Cc: yocto

I am looking to selectively remove portions of 1or 2 components I will not be using from my running image

This email has been sent from an account outside of the BAE Systems network.

Please treat the email with caution, especially if you are requested to click on a link, decrypt/open an attachment, or enable macros.  For further information on how to spot phishing, access “Cybersecurity OneSpace Page” and report phishing by clicking the button “Report Phishing” on the Outlook toolbar.

Hello Steve,

Is the approach where you remove the recipes from the image an option?
Is there a reason why you want to build the recipes that you do not want to appear in your image?

Regards,

Leon.

--
Leon Woestenberg
leon@sidebranch.com
T: +31 40 711 42 76
M: +31 6 472 30 372

Sidebranch Embedded Systems
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
http://www.sidebranch.com

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 2:55 PM Monsees, Steven C (US) via lists.yoctoproject.org <steven.monsees=baesystems.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> Hello:
>

> If I am building an image “image-ABC”, and it is composed of a number
> recipes, and for some of these recipes I may NOT want to install their
> final components within my image…
>

> Which is the best place to modify the build with bbappend ?
>

> Would I modify a recipe’s do_install (do_install_append-recipe_xyz) ?, or would I modify the image recipe (do_install_append-image_ABC) I am leaning this way to avoid cases where the component recipes might have bbappends in place already ?
>

> Looking for the proper Yocto way…
>

> Thanks,
>
> Steve

* Re: [yocto] bbappend usage
       [not found]   ` <MADEUP.16B148FB50D2BC13.19066@lists.yoctoproject.org>
@ 2021-10-25 14:03     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2021-10-25 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steven.monsees; +Cc: Leon Woestenberg, yocto

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this. It helps if you provide
specifics: what components and what portions of them and why.

Alex

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 at 15:26, Monsees, Steven C (US) via
wrote:

> I am looking to selectively remove portions of 1or 2 components I will not
> be using from my running image

* RE: [yocto] bbappend usage
       [not found] <08a4cb0-64ab-6dd-b80-d64ee5a219ff@crashcourse.ca>
@ 2021-10-25 13:24 ` Monsees, Steven C (US)
From: Monsees, Steven C (US) @ 2021-10-25 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: yocto

No, you got it wromg... I have a buildable image which has all the components necessary, I want to remove some overhead installed by some components that I will not be within my running application...

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021, Monsees, Steven C (US) via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:

> If I am building an image “image-ABC”, and it is composed of a number
> recipes, and for some of these recipes I may NOT want to install their
> final components within my image…
>
> Which is the best place to modify the build with bbappend ?
>
> Would I modify a recipe’s do_install (do_install_append-recipe_xyz) ?,
> or would I modify the image recipe (do_install_append-image_ABC) I am
> leaning this way to avoid cases where the component recipes might have
> bbappends in place already ?

  i would think start with defining a minimal image, then define other images based on that one which add more recipes. this has nothing to do with redefining the recipes, it just means defining more than one image.

rday