* Python packaging without setup.py (PEP-517)
@ 2020-12-05 23:40 Tim Orling
From: Tim Orling @ 2020-12-05 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, openembedded-core

Thanks to Konrad Weihmann, we have some communication occurring with the
Python pypa folks about an important change in Python packaging [1][2].
This change is defined in PEP 517 [3][4]. Essentially, setup.py files will
go away and wheels will be preferred over eggs. To make this more straight
forward for distros, the pypa folks have created pypa/build [5][6].
Currently, there is no installer for wheels other than pip, but this is
under active development [7].

I have begun a WIP branch to support this new packaging mechanism [8].
Folks in our OE/YP Python community have actually been wishing for a way to
install wheels for a while now... no promises on that working (installing
random wheels off the internet is not a design goal), but we will at least
be able to build wheels.

Cheers,

--TIm "moto-timo" Orling

[1] https://github.com/pypa/packaging/issues/369
[2] https://www.yoctoproject.org/irc/%23yocto.2020-12-05.log.html
[3] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0517/
[4] https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-517-workflow-for-distributions/5959
[5] https://pypa-build.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
[6] https://github.com/pypa/build
[7] https://github.com/pradyunsg/installer
[8]
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=timo/python-pep-517

* Re: [OE-core] Python packaging without setup.py (PEP-517)
@ 2020-12-06  9:14 ` Konrad Weihmann
From: Konrad Weihmann @ 2020-12-06  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core, yocto

Thanks Tim, for taking this discussion. I'm really glad to see that
upstream finally recognizes our use case. Unfortunately as that looks
pretty "beta" to me so I will keep on with the tiring process of filing
tickets at upstream.
Same goes btw for missing license information in the distribution
tarballs (or now upcoming wheels).
Also I'm slightly worried that it will all spiral into requiring always
the latest of e.g. setuptools, which could turn into a problem for
non-master branches (already have these issue on zeus a lot lately)