* Release checklist and qemu-xen-traditional
       [not found]   ` <AS8PR08MB79917D648261C9ADB5F8EB8A92159@AS8PR08MB7991.eurprd08.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2022-12-02 14:05     ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2022-12-02 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Wang; +Cc: Julien Grall, xen-devel

(Adding xen-devel to the CC list.)

Hi, Henry.  Pleaed to "meet" you.  To answer your questions:

> > > (1) Why do the instructions say to branch that repo?
> > > (2) Where can we find this repo?
> > > (3) Is this repo used anywhere since the 4.16 release?
> > > (4) Is this repo used elsewhere in the release process?

This repo is this one.  I think it is still used during some builds.
See this line in Config.mk:

  QEMU_TRADITIONAL_URL ?= http://xenbits.xen.org/git-http/qemu-xen-traditional.git

It is very old and we have been slowly deprecating it.  (The copy on
my workstation was called qemu-iwj.git for historical reasons which
aren't relevant, but that's how that got into the checklist.)

The release checklist will also instruct the release technician to
update the pinning in Config.mk to the tag.  For example, Config.mk in
RELEASE-4.16.0 says this:

  QEMU_TRADITIONAL_REVISION ?= xen-4.16.0

This needs to be updated so that people who get 4.16 don't get any
changes that are made to the "master" branch in qemu-xen-traditional.
The same will be true for 4.17, if it qemu-xen-traditional hasn't
been completely abolished there yet.

> > These instructons relate to my local clone of qemu-xen-traditional,
> > and will need adjustment.
>
> Thanks for your reply! It would be good for you to clarify what adjustments
> we need to do. That said, I completely understand that you are quite busy
> today, so...

A clone of qemu-xen-traditional ought to do for this.  My tree here,
rescued from my old Citrix workstation, has this for the "origin"
remote:
  xenbits.xen.org:/home/xen/git/qemu-xen-traditional.git

I hope this is helpful.  If you want to talk through it some more,
ping me on irc.  I'm Diziet on oftc.  I usually lurk on #xendevel
(although I fell off at some point and only just rejoined), or you
may send me a private message.

Regards,
Ian.

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.

* RE: Release checklist and qemu-xen-traditional
@ 2022-12-02 14:35       ` Henry Wang
From: Henry Wang @ 2022-12-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: Julien Grall, xen-devel

Hi Ian,

Thank you for doing this, it would be great to have the answer below
logged in the mailing list.

> Hi, Henry.  Pleased to "meet" you.  To answer your questions:

> This repo is this one.  I think it is still used during some builds.
> See this line in Config.mk:
>
>   QEMU_TRADITIONAL_URL ?= http://xenbits.xen.org/git-http/qemu-xen-
> traditional.git
>
> It is very old and we have been slowly deprecating it.  (The copy on
> my workstation was called qemu-iwj.git for historical reasons which
> aren't relevant, but that's how that got into the checklist.)
>
> The release checklist will also instruct the release technician to
> update the pinning in Config.mk to the tag.  For example, Config.mk in
> RELEASE-4.16.0 says this:
>
>   QEMU_TRADITIONAL_REVISION ?= xen-4.16.0
>
> This needs to be updated so that people who get 4.16 don't get any
> changes that are made to the "master" branch in qemu-xen-traditional.
> The same will be true for 4.17, if it qemu-xen-traditional hasn't
> been completely abolished there yet.

Great thanks for your detailed explanation! I checked yesterday's branching
commit done by Julien [1] and seeing the qemu-xen-traditional tags [2] and
qemu-xen tags [3], I think Julien did everything correctly (Thanks Julien!) :)

Although I am wondering if the instruction about qemu-iwj.git here:
```
* make branch in qemu-iwj.git
        git-branch $v-testing master
```

would be duplicated with instructions here:
```
# make branches in xenbits.xen.org qemus
        ssh xen@xenbits.xen.org
	cd ~/git/qemu-xen.git
	git branch staging-$v staging
	git branch stable-$v master
	cd ~/git/qemu-xen-traditional.git
	git branch stable-$v master
```

[1] https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=f51079b5d87b39e79fe499ed818d50d856bc9c35
[2] https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-xen-traditional.git;a=summary
[3] https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-xen.git;a=summary

Kind regards,
Henry

@ 2022-12-02 16:25         ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2022-12-02 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Wang; +Cc: Julien Grall, xen-devel

Henry Wang writes ("RE: Release checklist and qemu-xen-traditional"):
> Although I am wondering if the instruction about qemu-iwj.git here:
> ```
> * make branch in qemu-iwj.git
>         git-branch $v-testing master
> ```
>
> would be duplicated with instructions here:
> ```
> # make branches in xenbits.xen.org qemus
>         ssh xen@xenbits.xen.org
> 	cd ~/git/qemu-xen.git
> 	git branch staging-$v staging
> 	git branch stable-$v master
> 	cd ~/git/qemu-xen-traditional.git
> 	git branch stable-$v master
> ```

I confess I answered without looking at the instructions again myself.
I think you are right, and that branch instruction may be a duplicate.

Later, when it comes to tagging, you'll probably want to have a local
staging-$v branch in your working tree, so that the tag is in the
right place.