* Improving NPM recipe build speed
@ 2021-04-26 23:29 Alessandro Tagliapietra
From: Alessandro Tagliapietra @ 2021-04-26 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi everyone,

I'm making an image that includes the node-red recipe from meta-iot-cloud.
The whole process takes about 30+ minutes for that recipe alone (most of the time spent in do_configure).
Now I want to override the recipe systemd service file and create a nodered user. Every time I change my bbappend file I have to wait 30+ minutes to have the result even for a small systemd file change.

Is it possible to speed up the process somehow?

Thanks in advance

* Re: Improving NPM recipe build speed
@ 2021-05-07 13:53 ` Alessandro Tagliapietra
From: Alessandro Tagliapietra @ 2021-05-07 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Anyone?

* Re: [yocto] Improving NPM recipe build speed
@ 2021-05-10  9:18 ` Nicolas Jeker
From: Nicolas Jeker @ 2021-05-10  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Tagliapietra, yocto

On Mon, 2021-04-26 at 16:29 -0700, Alessandro Tagliapietra wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hi Alessandro,

> I'm making an image that includes the node-red recipe from meta-iot-
> cloud.
> The whole process takes about 30+ minutes for that recipe alone (most
> of the time spent in do_configure).
> Now I want to override the recipe systemd service file and create a
> nodered user. Every time I change my bbappend file I have to wait 30+
> minutes to have the result even for a small systemd file change.
>
> Is it possible to speed up the process somehow?

I never worked with node-red in yocto, so I can't speak specifically
for that, but I encountered similar situations before. Here is what I
usually do when I need to change a file in a recipe that takes a really
long time to compile or triggers a rebuild of a ton of other recipes.

This only works for files that don't need to be compiled, like
configuration files, systemd service files, udev rules etc. I usually
replace the file in the rootfs directly on the device (or boot from NFS
and edit the file in the NFS export). For example if I need to change a
systemd service file, I change the file on my host, copy it with scp to
the device and check if everything is working as expected. When I'm
finished, I reintegrate my edits with a bbappend file and check again
if it works.

@ 2021-05-11 19:25   ` Alessandro Tagliapietra
From: Alessandro Tagliapietra @ 2021-05-11 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Jeker; +Cc: yocto