* [diasy] omap2plus_defconfig does not include systemd support
@ 2014-07-11 13:18 Cliff Brake
From: Cliff Brake @ 2014-07-11 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

Hi,

I'm trying to get a daisy build working on the beagleboard.  Its
currently building the linux-ti-staging-3.14 kernel for the bb.
However, this kernel appears to use the omap2plus_defconfig from the
http://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel repo.  What is the best path to get
omap2plus_defconfig modified to support systemd (its just a minor
tweak for cgroups?  Ideally, we'd get omap2plus_defconfig modified in
the upstream kernel.  Perhaps for now, we could have a config fragment
in the recipe?

NOTE: multiple providers are available for virtual/kernel
(linux-ti-staging, linux-mainline, linux-dummy, linux)
NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match virtual/kernel

Should the meta-ti layer be defining a prefered provider for the
beagleboard kernel?

Thanks,
Cliff

* Re: [diasy] omap2plus_defconfig does not include systemd support
@ 2014-07-11 13:39 ` Maupin, Chase
From: Maupin, Chase @ 2014-07-11 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cliff Brake, meta-ti

I would suggest sending a patch to linux-omap mailing list.

>NOTE: multiple providers are available for virtual/kernel
>(linux-ti-staging, linux-mainline, linux-dummy, linux)
>NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match
>virtual/kernel
>
>Should the meta-ti layer be defining a prefered provider for the
>beagleboard kernel?

This is usually set by the distro layer.

@ 2014-07-11 15:42 ` Dmytriyenko, Denys
From: Dmytriyenko, Denys @ 2014-07-11 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti, cbrake

> Should the meta-ti layer be defining a prefered provider for the
beagleboard kernel?

It's already defining a default provider:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/conf/machine/include/omap3.inc?h=daisy#n25

Denys

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

@ 2014-07-11 16:08   ` Dmytriyenko, Denys
From: Dmytriyenko, Denys @ 2014-07-11 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti, cbrake, Dmytriyenko, Denys

Unless you also have meta-yocto-bsp layer (before daisy) defining beagleboard machine...

@ 2014-07-11 16:24     ` Cliff Brake
From: Cliff Brake @ 2014-07-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmytriyenko, Denys; +Cc: meta-ti

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Dmytriyenko, Denys <denys@ti.com> wrote:
> Unless you also have meta-yocto-bsp layer (before daisy) defining
> beagleboard machine...

or unless you have meta-gumstix-community included ...

DEBUG: LOAD /scratch/oe/oe-build-daisy/sources/meta-ti/conf/machine/beagleboard.conf
DEBUG: CONF /scratch/oe/oe-build-daisy/sources/meta-ti/conf/machine/beagleboard.conf:5:
including conf/machine/include/omap3.inc
DEBUG: BB /scratch/oe/oe-build-daisy/sources/meta-gumstix-community/conf/machine/include/omap3.inc:
handle(data, include)
DEBUG: LOAD /scratch/oe/oe-build-daisy/sources/meta-gumstix-community/conf/machine/include/omap3.inc

Supporting multiple machines in one build present some interesting
challenges -- what are the best practices in situations like this?

I guess the good news is I got to try 3.14 on the bb ...

@ 2014-07-14 20:26       ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2014-07-14 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cliff Brake; +Cc: meta-ti

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:24:15PM -0400, Cliff Brake wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Dmytriyenko, Denys <denys@ti.com> wrote:
> > Unless you also have meta-yocto-bsp layer (before daisy) defining
> > beagleboard machine...
>
> or unless you have meta-gumstix-community included ...
>
> DEBUG: LOAD /scratch/oe/oe-build-daisy/sources/meta-ti/conf/machine/beagleboard.conf
> DEBUG: CONF /scratch/oe/oe-build-daisy/sources/meta-ti/conf/machine/beagleboard.conf:5:
> including conf/machine/include/omap3.inc
> DEBUG: BB /scratch/oe/oe-build-daisy/sources/meta-gumstix-community/conf/machine/include/omap3.inc:
> handle(data, include)
> DEBUG: LOAD /scratch/oe/oe-build-daisy/sources/meta-gumstix-community/conf/machine/include/omap3.inc
>
> Supporting multiple machines in one build present some interesting
> challenges -- what are the best practices in situations like this?
>
> I guess the good news is I got to try 3.14 on the bb ...

That is interesting indeed. If they felt the need to overwrite the entire
include file for the SOC, then they should care to keep it updated or set all
necessary defaults. Otherwise they should have used a more unique name, like
omap3-gumstix.inc and made necessary customizations in there, keeping the
original upstream omap3.inc intact and using or not using it from their
machine configs accordingly. For example, I've dealt with u-boot.inc in a
similar fashion in meta-ti:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-ti.inc

--
Denys

* Re: [diasy] omap2plus_defconfig does not include systemd support
@ 2014-07-15 15:44         ` Cliff Brake
From: Cliff Brake @ 2014-07-15 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denys@ti.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:24:15PM -0400, Cliff Brake wrote:
>
> That is interesting indeed. If they felt the need to overwrite the entire
> include file for the SOC, then they should care to keep it updated or set all
> necessary defaults. Otherwise they should have used a more unique name, like
> omap3-gumstix.inc and made necessary customizations in there, keeping the
> original upstream omap3.inc intact and using or not using it from their
> machine configs accordingly. For example, I've dealt with u-boot.inc in a
> similar fashion in meta-ti:
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-ti.inc

Thanks for the ideas, I'll see if we can get meta-gumstix-community modified.

Thanks,
Clff