* Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-15 12:22 Andreas Winkelbauer
From: Andreas Winkelbauer @ 2009-11-15 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi,

I am currently in the process of setting up the configuration for some new
workstations. I don't yet know if I'll use an Intel or an AMD plattform.

Now my question is: Are there any important differences in terms of
virtualization performance and/or features between the current Intel/AMD CPUs
(e.g. Core i7 "Lynnfield" and Phenom II X4 "Deneb")?

Best regards,
Andreas

* RE: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-15 13:05 ` Neil Aggarwal
From: Neil Aggarwal @ 2009-11-15 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Andreas:

> Now my question is: Are there any important differences in terms of
> virtualization performance and/or features between the
> current Intel/AMD CPUs

I prefer AMD CPUs, they give you a better bang for the buck.
Besides that, I don't think they would be any technical
differences, they are supposed to be completely compatible.
I have seen no evidence to the contrary.

	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!

* Re: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-15 15:55   ` Thomas Treutner
From: Thomas Treutner @ 2009-11-15 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Aggarwal; +Cc: kvm

On Sunday 15 November 2009 14:05:52 Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> I prefer AMD CPUs, they give you a better bang for the buck.
> Besides that, I don't think they would be any technical
> differences, they are supposed to be completely compatible.
> I have seen no evidence to the contrary.

Isn't AMD the only one who has hardware support for nested virtualization? Or
isn't that true any longer? Anyways, I'm just curious, as this feature is
primarily interesting for development, IMHO.

-t

* Re: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-15 15:56 ` Thomas Treutner
From: Thomas Treutner @ 2009-11-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Winkelbauer; +Cc: kvm

On Sunday 15 November 2009 13:22:36 Andreas Winkelbauer wrote:
> Now my question is: Are there any important differences in terms of
> virtualization performance and/or features between the current Intel/AMD
> CPUs (e.g. Core i7 "Lynnfield" and Phenom II X4 "Deneb")?

The Core i7 has hyperthreading, so you see 8 logical CPUs. But don't ask me if
that's really an advantage for doing virtualization ;-)

-t

* RE: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-15 17:33   ` Neil Aggarwal
From: Neil Aggarwal @ 2009-11-15 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

> The Core i7 has hyperthreading, so you see 8 logical CPUs.

Are you saying the AMD processors do not have hyperthreading?

I have a machine with two six-core AMD Opterons.
top shows me 12 logical CPUs.

	Neil

--

@ 2009-11-15 17:54     ` Thomas Fjellstrom
From: Thomas Fjellstrom @ 2009-11-15 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

On Sun November 15 2009, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> > The Core i7 has hyperthreading, so you see 8 logical CPUs.
>
> Are you saying the AMD processors do not have hyperthreading?

Course not. Hyperthreading is dubious at best.

> I have a machine with two six-core AMD Opterons.
> top shows me 12 logical CPUs.

If it had Hyperthreading, you'd see 24 logical cpus.
6 + 6 == 12 * 2(ht) == 24.

Those six cores in each cpu are actual physcial cores. Not fake logical
cores.

> 	Neil
>

> --
> Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
> CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!
> 7 day no risk trial, Google Checkout accepted

Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@shaw.ca

* RE: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-15 17:59       ` Neil Aggarwal
From: Neil Aggarwal @ 2009-11-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tfjellstrom, kvm

> Those six cores in each cpu are actual physcial cores. Not
> fake logical
> cores.

OK, I see what you are saying now.
Thanks for the clarification.

	Neil

--

@ 2009-11-15 22:29       ` Gordan Bobic
From: Gordan Bobic @ 2009-11-15 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On Sun November 15 2009, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
>>> The Core i7 has hyperthreading, so you see 8 logical CPUs.
>> Are you saying the AMD processors do not have hyperthreading?
>
> Course not. Hyperthreading is dubious at best.

That's a rather questionable answer to a rather broad issue. SMT is
useful, especially on processors with deep pipelines (think Pentium 4 -
and in general, deeper pipelines tend to be required for higher clock
speeds), because it reduces the number of context switches. Context
switches are certainly one of the most expensive operations if not the
most expensive operation you can do on a processor, and typically
requires flushing the pipelines. Double the number of hardware threads,
and you halve the number of context switches.

This typically isn't useful if your CPU is processing one
single-threaded application 99% of the time, but on a loaded server it
can make a significant difference to throughput.

Gordan

* Re: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-15 23:03         ` Thomas Fjellstrom
From: Thomas Fjellstrom @ 2009-11-15 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

On Sun November 15 2009, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> >>
> >> Are you saying the AMD processors do not have hyperthreading?
> >
> > Course not. Hyperthreading is dubious at best.
>
> That's a rather questionable answer to a rather broad issue. SMT is
> useful, especially on processors with deep pipelines (think Pentium 4 -
> and in general, deeper pipelines tend to be required for higher clock
> speeds), because it reduces the number of context switches. Context
> switches are certainly one of the most expensive operations if not the
> most expensive operation you can do on a processor, and typically
> requires flushing the pipelines. Double the number of hardware threads,
> and you halve the number of context switches.

Hardware context switches aren't free either. And while it really has
nothing to do with this discussion, the P4 arch was far from perfect (many
would say, far from GOOD).

> This typically isn't useful if your CPU is processing one
> single-threaded application 99% of the time, but on a loaded server it
> can make a significant difference to throughput.

I'll buy that. Though you'll have to agree that the initial Hyperthread
implementation in intel cpus was really bad. I hear good things about the
latest version though.

But hey, if you can stick more cores in, or do what AMD is doing with its
upcoming line, why not do that? Hyperthreading seems like more of a gimmick
than anything. What seems to help the most with the new Intel arch is the
auto overclocking when some cores are idle. Far more of a performance
improvement than Hyperthreading will ever be it seems.

But maybe that's just me.

> Gordan

Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@shaw.ca

* Re: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-15 23:50           ` Gordan Bobic
From: Gordan Bobic @ 2009-11-15 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

>>> Course not. Hyperthreading is dubious at best.
>> That's a rather questionable answer to a rather broad issue. SMT is
>> useful, especially on processors with deep pipelines (think Pentium 4 -
>> and in general, deeper pipelines tend to be required for higher clock
>> speeds), because it reduces the number of context switches. Context
>> switches are certainly one of the most expensive operations if not the
>> most expensive operation you can do on a processor, and typically
>> requires flushing the pipelines. Double the number of hardware threads,
>> and you halve the number of context switches.
>
> Hardware context switches aren't free either. And while it really has
> nothing to do with this discussion, the P4 arch was far from perfect (many
> would say, far from GOOD).

I actually disagree with a lot of criticism of P4. The reason why it's
performance _appeared_ to be poor was because it was more reliant on
compilers doing their job well. Unfortunately, most compilers generate
very poor code, and most programmers aren't even aware of the
improvements that can be had in this area with a bit of extra work and a
decent compiler. Performance differences of 7+ times (700%) aren't
unheard of on Pentium 4 between, say, ICC and GCC generated code.

P4 wasn't a bad design - the compilers just weren't good enough to
leverage it to anywhere near it's potential.

>> This typically isn't useful if your CPU is processing one
>> single-threaded application 99% of the time, but on a loaded server it
>> can make a significant difference to throughput.
>
> I'll buy that. Though you'll have to agree that the initial Hyperthread
> implementation in intel cpus was really bad. I hear good things about the
> latest version though.

As measured by what? A single-threaded desktop benchmark?

> But hey, if you can stick more cores in, or do what AMD is doing with its
> upcoming line, why not do that? Hyperthreading seems like more of a gimmick
> than anything.

If there weren't clear and quantifiable benefits then IBM wouldn't be
putting it in it's Power series of high end processors, it wouldn't be
in the X-Box 360's Xenon (PPC970 variant), and Sun wouldn't be going
massively SMT in the Niagara SPARCs. Silicon die space is _expensive_ -
it wouldn't be getting wasted on gimmicks.

> What seems to help the most with the new Intel arch is the
> auto overclocking when some cores are idle. Far more of a performance
> improvement than Hyperthreading will ever be it seems.

Which is targeted at gamers and desktop enthusiasts who think that FPS
in Crysis is a meaningful measure of performance for most applications.
Server load profile is a whole different ball game.

Anyway, let's get this back on topic for the list before we get told off
(of course, I'm more than happy to continue the discussion off list).

Gordan

* Re: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-16 10:12     ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-11-16 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Treutner; +Cc: Neil Aggarwal, kvm

On 11/15/2009 05:55 PM, Thomas Treutner wrote:
> On Sunday 15 November 2009 14:05:52 Neil Aggarwal wrote:
>
>> I prefer AMD CPUs, they give you a better bang for the buck.
>> Besides that, I don't think they would be any technical
>> differences, they are supposed to be completely compatible.
>> I have seen no evidence to the contrary.
>>
> Isn't AMD the only one who has hardware support for nested virtualization? Or
> isn't that true any longer?

No, the Core i7 has ept which is the Intel equivalent.

> Anyways, I'm just curious, as this feature is
> primarily interesting for development, IMHO.

No, it's primarily interesting for performance.

* Re: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-16 12:02           ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2009-11-16 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tfjellstrom; +Cc: kvm

Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@shaw.ca> writes:

> Hardware context switches aren't free either.

FWIW, SMT has no "hardware context switches", the 'S' stands for
simultaneous: the operations from the different threads are travelling
simultaneously through the CPU's pipeline.

You seem to confuse it with 'CMT' (Coarse-grained Multi Threading),
which has context switches.

-Andi

* Re: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-16 12:10         ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-11-16 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordan Bobic; +Cc: kvm

On 11/16/2009 12:29 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
>>> Are you saying the AMD processors do not have hyperthreading?
>>
>> Course not. Hyperthreading is dubious at best.
>
> That's a rather questionable answer to a rather broad issue. SMT is
> useful, especially on processors with deep pipelines (think Pentium 4
> - and in general, deeper pipelines tend to be required for higher
> clock speeds), because it reduces the number of context switches.
> Context switches are certainly one of the most expensive operations if
> not the most expensive operation you can do on a processor, and
> typically requires flushing the pipelines. Double the number of
> hardware threads, and you halve the number of context switches.

The real win is in parallelizing memory access.  If a cache miss costs
200 cycles, no amount of pipelining and out-of-order execution will hide
this cost.  Running two threads in parallel will at best hide the cost
by letting another thread execute, or at least issue two memory accesses
in parallel instead of just one.

> This typically isn't useful if your CPU is processing one
> single-threaded application 99% of the time, but on a loaded server it
> can make a significant difference to throughput.

If you are able to saturate the multiple threads (typically easier with
many small guests rather than a few large ones) then hyperthreading is
likely a win.

* Re: Virtualization Performance: Intel vs. AMD
@ 2009-11-17 10:23       ` Thomas Treutner
From: Thomas Treutner @ 2009-11-17 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm

On Monday 16 November 2009 11:12:19 Avi Kivity wrote:
> > Anyways, I'm just curious, as this feature is
> > primarily interesting for development, IMHO.
>
> No, it's primarily interesting for performance.

I think I confused NPT with support for nested virtualization (which I think
no one except devs would have a use case for). Thanks for the pointer.

-t