* DPDK & ASLR
@ 2016-10-25 22:18 Samir Shah
From: Samir Shah @ 2016-10-25 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

We know that it is recommended that ASLR be turned off so that the mappings
across primary and secondary remain the same.

Does ASLR need to be turned off system-wide, or DPDK-processes wide? Could
we use setarch/personality to disable ASLR for just the DPDK process and
leave it enabled for the rest of the system? Any experience to say if that
would work or not?

- Samir

* Re: DPDK & ASLR
@ 2016-10-26  4:20 ` Jon DeVree
From: Jon DeVree @ 2016-10-26  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 15:18:03 -0700, Samir Shah wrote:
> Does ASLR need to be turned off system-wide, or DPDK-processes wide? Could
> we use setarch/personality to disable ASLR for just the DPDK process and
> leave it enabled for the rest of the system? Any experience to say if that
> would work or not?

I'm using setarch/personality to disable it only in the processes using
dpdk without any trouble.

--
Jon
Doge Wrangler

* Re: DPDK & ASLR
@ 2016-10-26  9:13   ` Mcnamara, John
From: Mcnamara, John @ 2016-10-26  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 15:18:03 -0700, Samir Shah wrote:
> > Does ASLR need to be turned off system-wide, or DPDK-processes wide?
> > Could we use setarch/personality to disable ASLR for just the DPDK
> > process and leave it enabled for the rest of the system? Any
> > experience to say if that would work or not?
> >

> I'm using setarch/personality to disable it only in the processes using
> dpdk without any trouble.

Hi Jon,

That is interesting. Do you have some more details on how to do this.

Also, It might be worth adding this to the DPDK documentation:

http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/prog_guide/multi_proc_support.html#multi-process-limitations

John