* [Qemu-devel] Can't see mouse cursor on VNC viewer
@ 2018-11-20 12:37 Guoheyi
From: Guoheyi @ 2018-11-20 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi folks,

I'm using qemu 2.8 on ARM64 with KVM enabled, and TightVNC on MS Windows as a VNC viewer. We can see the graphic screen on VNC viewer, but we can't see the mouse cursor after we enable "Mouse Cursor -> Let remote server deal with cursor". When I move or click on VNC viewer screen, we can see some items are selected or highlighted, so I believe other functions of mouse are still there. If I switch to text console and use gpm, I can see the cursor in rectangle shape on the screen.

Do you have any idea of why this issue happens and how we can fix it?

Thanks,

Heyi Guo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Can't see mouse cursor on VNC viewer
@ 2018-11-20 15:23 ` Gerd Hoffmann
       [not found]   ` <B328F08581D714418202ABF306D3781C3B776FA6@dggeml509-mbx.china.huawei.com>
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2018-11-20 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guoheyi; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:37:13PM +0000, Guoheyi wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm using qemu 2.8 on ARM64 with KVM enabled, and TightVNC on MS
> Windows as a VNC viewer. We can see the graphic screen on VNC viewer,
> but we can't see the mouse cursor after we enable "Mouse Cursor -> Let
> remote server deal with cursor".

And with that option disabled?

cheers,
  Gerd

* Re: [Qemu-devel] 答复:  Can't see mouse cursor on VNC viewer
       [not found]   ` <B328F08581D714418202ABF306D3781C3B776FA6@dggeml509-mbx.china.huawei.com>
@ 2018-11-21  8:23     ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2018-11-21  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guoheyi; +Cc: qemu-devel

  Hi,

> and can’t see cursor either with “virtio-gpu”. Does that mean
> virtio-gpu + VNC must rely on VNC client to draw the cursor image on
> the screen?

Yes.  virtio-gpu sends the cursor to the vnc client (via rich cursor
extension) and expects the vnc client to show it.  So, if you ask your
vnc client to not show the rich cursor the cursor is gone.  Solution:
don't do that.

stdvga has no hardware cursor support, so it is rendered to the
framebuffer (by the guest).

cirrus hardware cursor can't be mapped to rich cursor,
so it is rendered to the framebuffer too (by qemu this time).

@ 2018-11-21  8:54       ` Heyi Guo
From: Heyi Guo @ 2018-11-21  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi Gerd,

Is there any hacking way to turn off hardware cursor support for virtio-gpu, and make the cursor also be rendered to the framebuffer?

Thanks,

Heyi

@ 2018-11-21 10:22         ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2018-11-21 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heyi Guo; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 04:54:15PM +0800, Heyi Guo wrote:
> Hi Gerd,
>
> Is there any hacking way to turn off hardware cursor support for virtio-gpu, and make the cursor also be rendered to the framebuffer?

Well, you can configure xorg in the guest to force software cursor mode.

@ 2018-11-22  3:24           ` Heyi Guo
From: Heyi Guo @ 2018-11-22  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: qemu-devel, wanghaibin 00208455

After adding a configuration file under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with below lines, we can finally see remote mouse cursor on the VNC viewer.

Section "Device"
         Option      "SWcursor" "True"
         Identifier  "Card0"
         Driver      "modesetting"
         BusID       "PCI:10:3:0"
EndSection

Really appreciate it :)

Heyi

@ 2018-11-22  9:08       ` Heyi Guo
From: Heyi Guo @ 2018-11-22  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi Gerd,

One more question: do you know any VNC client which supports rich cursor extension? We'd like to try such client to see the real effect.

@ 2018-11-22 10:04         ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2018-11-22 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heyi Guo; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 05:08:16PM +0800, Heyi Guo wrote:
> Hi Gerd,
>
> One more question: do you know any VNC client which supports rich
> cursor extension? We'd like to try such client to see the real effect.

remote-viewer (comes with virt-viewer) supports it for sure.

@ 2018-11-23  6:49           ` Heyi Guo
From: Heyi Guo @ 2018-11-23  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: qemu-devel

Thanks; I'll try it.