* RTnet on Raspberry Pi 3B+
@ 2020-10-08  9:04 Deniz Uğur
From: Deniz Uğur @ 2020-10-08  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hello all,

I’m currently researching for a real-time sensor data acquisition system and I was thinking about using Raspberry Pi 3B+. Along with my move to making everything real-time, I also want to experiment with RTnet. Although from what I can understand, RPi’s ethernet module is not supported in RTnet.

Is RPi not supported in RTnet? If not, is there anything I can do to bring this feature?
Do I have any alternative for making TCP socket connection real-time using Xenomai on RPi?
Lastly, If RPi is an impossible target for RTnet, do we have any alternative embedded system that works with RTnet?

Thanks in advance.
Deniz.

Some important details:
ARCH: ARM
SoC: BCM2835
Linux: 4.14.36
Xenomai: 3.0.7
I-Pipe: 4.14.36-arm-1

* Re: RTnet on Raspberry Pi 3B+
@ 2020-10-11 17:39 ` Pierre FICHEUX
From: Pierre FICHEUX @ 2020-10-11 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Uğur; +Cc: xenomai

Hi,

Pi Ethernet controller is based on USB, not that good for realtime (AMHA)...

May you could switch to BeagleBone Black ?

regards

--

Pierre FICHEUX -/- CTO Smile ECS, France -\- pierre.ficheux@smile.fr
                             http://www.smile.fr

* Re: RTnet on Raspberry Pi 3B+
@ 2020-10-11 18:06   ` Deniz Uğur
From: Deniz Uğur @ 2020-10-11 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre FICHEUX; +Cc: xenomai

Hi Pierre,

I’ve just checked out BeagleBone Black and it seems applicable for me. If you don’t mind I have some follow-up questions.

Do you know if RTDM SPI works on BB?
Which ipipe, xenomai, and linux version combination is working on the BB right now?
Are there any recent guides for Xenomai 3 on BB?

Thanks.
Deniz.

@ 2020-10-11 22:01     ` Giulio Moro
From: Giulio Moro @ 2020-10-11 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Uğur, Pierre FICHEUX; +Cc: xenomai

You can download a working Debian image with Xenomai that runs on BB here https://github.com/BelaPlatform/bela-image-builder/releases
This contains Linux 4.14.108-ti-xenomai-r135 with Xenomai 3.0.10

The kernel is built from this branch https://github.com/RobertCNelson/ti-linux-kernel-dev/tree/ti-linux-xenomai-4.14.y

I haven't tried RTDM SPI, but there seems to be a driver for it: https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/-/blob/master/kernel/drivers/spi/spi-omap2-mcspi-rt.c

@ 2020-10-11 22:03       ` Giulio Moro
From: Giulio Moro @ 2020-10-11 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Uğur, Pierre FICHEUX; +Cc: xenomai

I should have mentioned that you can also build an Isar image for the BBB with Xenomai from here https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images

@ 2020-10-11 23:18         ` Deniz Uğur
From: Deniz Uğur @ 2020-10-11 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Moro; +Cc: Pierre FICHEUX, xenomai

Hi Giulio,

Thanks for your detailed response. I’ve checked all of the links you sent. They helped me a lot.

Do you know if xenomai-images pulls master head?
I believe CONFIG_XENO_DRIVERS_SPI_OMAP2_MCSPI_RT is just added on January. So I couldn’t be sure if it builds the kernel containing this commit.

Thank you.
Deniz.

@ 2020-10-12 10:36           ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-10-12 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Uğur, Giulio Moro; +Cc: xenomai

On 12.10.20 01:18, Deniz Uğur via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi Giulio,
>
> Thanks for your detailed response. I’ve checked all of the links you sent. They helped me a lot.
>
> Do you know if xenomai-images pulls master head?
> I believe CONFIG_XENO_DRIVERS_SPI_OMAP2_MCSPI_RT is just added on January. So I couldn’t be sure if it builds the kernel containing this commit.

If you append ":opt-xenomai-next.yml", Xenomai will be built from the
next branch. By default, the last release is used.

Jan

Siemens AG, T RDA IOT

* Re: RTnet on Raspberry Pi 3B+
@ 2020-10-12 10:46             ` Deniz Ugur
From: Deniz Ugur @ 2020-10-12 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Giulio Moro, xenomai

Thanks Jan. Without going more off-topic, may I ask you how would one
configure the config using xenomai-images?

Thanks.

* Re: RTnet on Raspberry Pi 3B+
@ 2020-10-12 10:51               ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-10-12 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Ugur; +Cc: Giulio Moro, xenomai

On 12.10.20 12:46, Deniz Ugur wrote:
> Thanks Jan. Without going more off-topic, may I ask you how would one
> configure the config using xenomai-images?

If you look at the readme, it suggest to build like this e.g.:

kas-docker --isar build kas.yml:board-qemu-amd64.yml

To build for latest xenomai-next, you would do

kas-docker --isar build kas.yml:board-qemu-amd64.yml:opt-xenomai-next.yml

Jan

--
Siemens AG, T RDA IOT

* Re: RTnet on Raspberry Pi 3B+
@ 2020-10-12 10:56                 ` Deniz Uğur
From: Deniz Uğur @ 2020-10-12 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Giulio Moro, xenomai

Yes that’s correct. I might be not clear enough, I meant how could I modify the config options similar to “make menuconfig”

Thanks.
Deniz.

* Re: RTnet on Raspberry Pi 3B+
@ 2020-10-12 12:57                   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-10-12 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Uğur; +Cc: Giulio Moro, xenomai

On 12.10.20 12:56, Deniz Uğur wrote:
> Yes that’s correct. I might be not clear enough, I meant how could I
> modify the config options similar to “make menuconfig”

Assuming you are talking about the kernel config used by xenomai-images:
You can edit the one shipped with the layer (see
recipes-kernel/linux/files) or add a config snippet (*.cfg file
containing deviating options). That can be done in-place (patching the
layer) or by putting a layer on top that overrides the config. There not
interactive editing support, though, if that is what you are looking for.

Jan

@ 2020-10-12 13:05                     ` Deniz Ugur
From: Deniz Ugur @ 2020-10-12 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Giulio Moro, xenomai

Yes, I was looking for interactive editing but that's okay. Thanks for the
clarification.

Take care.
Deniz.