* space(s) in key or location names
@ 2015-11-20  9:42 Ken Gillett
From: Ken Gillett @ 2015-11-20  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: autofs

I’m really struggling with this and hope someone can point me to a solution.

I need to automount onto a mountpoint (directory, i.e. folder as it’s on OS X) that has a space in the name and I cannot change that. I’ve read many suggestions to escape the space with a ‘\’ or ‘\040’ or quote the path, but nothing I’ve tried works. It either simply fails to work or creates the mountpoint that includes the escape chars in its name.

To clarify, other mounts that have no space involved work fine, so the basic setup is sound and if the automount is configured in a local (LDAP) directory, the space is no problem. However, I don’t want to use that method and really need to use simple map files in /etc, but there seems to be this issue with how they are parsed. I am clearly not the only person with this problem.

I’d really appreciate it if someone could explain how to overcome this and allow for spaces in pathnames used in map files.

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

* Re: space(s) in key or location names
@ 2015-11-23  1:40 ` Ian Kent
From: Ian Kent @ 2015-11-23  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Gillett, autofs

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 09:42 +0000, Ken Gillett wrote:
> I’m really struggling with this and hope someone can point me to a
> solution.
>
> I need to automount onto a mountpoint (directory, i.e. folder as it’s
> on OS X) that has a space in the name and I cannot change that. I’ve
> read many suggestions to escape the space with a ‘\’ or ‘\040’ or
> quote the path, but nothing I’ve tried works. It either simply fails
> to work or creates the mountpoint that includes the escape chars in
> its name.
>
> To clarify, other mounts that have no space involved work fine, so
> the basic setup is sound and if the automount is configured in a
> local (LDAP) directory, the space is no problem. However, I don’t
> want to use that method and really need to use simple map files in
> /etc, but there seems to be this issue with how they are parsed. I am
> clearly not the only person with this problem.
>
> I’d really appreciate it if someone could explain how to overcome
> this and allow for spaces in pathnames used in map files.

The handling of spaces in automounting when using Sun format maps is
difficult because of the syntax of the map format, it allows for
ambiguity which make quoting difficult.

So I'm not surprised to here this.
But sadly I don't think we can help you because OSX uses a different
implementation to Linux autofs which I know nothing about.

Ian

* Re: space(s) in key or location names
@ 2015-11-23  1:53   ` Ian Kent
From: Ian Kent @ 2015-11-23  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Gillett, autofs

On Mon, 2015-11-23 at 09:40 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 09:42 +0000, Ken Gillett wrote:
> > I’m really struggling with this and hope someone can point me to a
> > solution.
> >
> > I need to automount onto a mountpoint (directory, i.e. folder as
> > it’s
> > on OS X) that has a space in the name and I cannot change that.
> > I’ve
> > read many suggestions to escape the space with a ‘\’ or ‘\040’ or
> > quote the path, but nothing I’ve tried works. It either simply
> > fails
> > to work or creates the mountpoint that includes the escape chars in
> > its name.
> >
> > To clarify, other mounts that have no space involved work fine, so
> > the basic setup is sound and if the automount is configured in a
> > local (LDAP) directory, the space is no problem. However, I don’t
> > want to use that method and really need to use simple map files in
> > /etc, but there seems to be this issue with how they are parsed. I
> > am
> > clearly not the only person with this problem.
> >
> > I’d really appreciate it if someone could explain how to overcome
> > this and allow for spaces in pathnames used in map files.
>
> The handling of spaces in automounting when using Sun format maps is
> difficult because of the syntax of the map format, it allows for
> ambiguity which make quoting difficult.
>
> So I'm not surprised to here this.
> But sadly I don't think we can help you because OSX uses a different
> implementation to Linux autofs which I know nothing about.

Thinking about this, if the OSX implementation is from the original BSD
(and a Google search shows the utilities look like those in old IRIX
distributions) then they would have been trying to provide
functionality as found in Solaris.

So a web search for Solars autofs documentation might help but quoting
in that was difficult too. For example I seem to remember that to quote
a location you needed to quote the path and not the server name, eg.
server:"/path/to share". Don't remember seeing anything about keys
though.