* [ath9k-devel] ath9k driver failure requiring power cycle?
@ 2011-05-06 11:01 Daniel Weinlader
From: Daniel Weinlader @ 2011-05-06 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I am planning on using an SR-71E (AR9280) radio with the ath9k driver in
an embedded device and was wondering if I might encounter a failure mode
that requires power cycling the radio? Has anyone ever encountered a
such failure that a reboot just would not fix?

I can programmatically bring the interface down and back up again, and
even reboot the machine, but power cycling it would be a bit more
problematic. But I would rather find out now if it is required, than
when it is in the field.

Regards,

Dan

* [ath9k-devel] ath9k driver failure requiring power cycle?
@ 2011-05-06 14:49 ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2011-05-06 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I've not come across it before. But you could in theory do a complete
chip reset? Or even put the chip completely to sleep (MAC + BB +
radio) and wake it up?

What do others think?

Adrian

@ 2011-05-06 16:03   ` Daniel Weinlader
From: Daniel Weinlader @ 2011-05-06 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 5/6/2011 10:49 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> I've not come across it before. But you could in theory do a complete
> chip reset? Or even put the chip completely to sleep (MAC + BB +
> radio) and wake it up?
>
> What do others think?

Thanks for the response Adrian. Can a full chip reset be done from user
land?

Regards,

Dan

@ 2011-05-09  4:43     ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-05-09  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Daniel Weinlader <dan@weinlader.org> wrote:
> On 5/6/2011 10:49 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> I've not come across it before. But you could in theory do a complete
>> chip reset? Or even put the chip completely to sleep (MAC + BB +
>> radio) and wake it up?
>>
>> What do others think?
>
> Thanks for the response Adrian. Can a full chip reset be done from user
> land?

AFAIK i dont think its possible(is there are some reset switch?)  but
in the driver code please look for this functions in hw.c
int ath9k_hw_reset(struct ath_hw *ah, struct ath9k_channel *chan,
                   struct ath9k_hw_cal_data *caldata, bool bChannelChange)
static bool ath9k_hw_chip_reset(struct ath_hw *ah,
                                struct ath9k_channel *chan)

'ath9k_hw_reset' calls 'ath9k_hw_chip_reset'