* HVR-1300 analog inputs
@ 2011-06-01 15:36 Florent Audebert
From: Florent Audebert @ 2011-06-01 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi,

I'm experimenting around with an Hauppauge HVR-1300 (cx88_blackbird)
analog inputs (PAL-I signal).

Using qv4l2 (trunk) and 2.6.36.4, I successfully get a clean image on
both composite and s-video inputs with resolutions of 640x480 or less.

With any higher resolutions, I have thin horizontal lines at moving
positions (seems to cycle)[1].

I've tried various settings using qv4l2 on /dev/video0 and /dev/video1
with no success.

Is there a way to get higher encoding resolution from this board ?

Thanks for helping !

Regards,

[1] http://bit.ly/m3o9HT

--
Florent Audebert

* Re: HVR-1300 analog inputs
@ 2011-06-01 15:49 ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2011-06-01 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Audebert; +Cc: linux-media

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Florent Audebert
<florent.audebert@anevia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting around with an Hauppauge HVR-1300 (cx88_blackbird) analog
> inputs (PAL-I signal).
>
> Using qv4l2 (trunk) and 2.6.36.4, I successfully get a clean image on both
> composite and s-video inputs with resolutions of 640x480 or less.
>
> With any higher resolutions, I have thin horizontal lines at moving
> positions (seems to cycle)[1].
>
> I've tried various settings using qv4l2 on /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 with
> no success.
>
> Is there a way to get higher encoding resolution from this board ?

You probably won't be able to go any higher than a width of 720.  That
said, it looks like either the driver is not responding properly or
the application doesn't realize that the driver returned it's maximum
field width (the V4L2 API specifies that in the S_FMT call that if the
calling application specifies an invalid width, the driver can return
a valid width and the application should recognize and use that
value).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: HVR-1300 analog inputs
@ 2011-06-01 21:48   ` linuxtv
From: linuxtv @ 2011-06-01 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Heitmueller; +Cc: Florent Audebert, linux-media

Only FYI,

I am using the HVR-1300 with the build-media.git repo (sorry I forget
the correct name). UK PAL-I capturing fine at full res. Using mtythv and
tested using smplayer on /dev/video0 (or video1). (Full UK PAL res).

I know that won't directly help, but at least you know that is can/does
work at full res.

On 01/06/11 16:49, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Florent Audebert
> <florent.audebert@anevia.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm experimenting around with an Hauppauge HVR-1300 (cx88_blackbird) analog
>> inputs (PAL-I signal).
>>
>> Using qv4l2 (trunk) and 2.6.36.4, I successfully get a clean image on both
>> composite and s-video inputs with resolutions of 640x480 or less.
>>
>> With any higher resolutions, I have thin horizontal lines at moving
>> positions (seems to cycle)[1].
>>
>> I've tried various settings using qv4l2 on /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 with
>> no success.
>>
>> Is there a way to get higher encoding resolution from this board ?
>>
> You probably won't be able to go any higher than a width of 720.  That
> said, it looks like either the driver is not responding properly or
> the application doesn't realize that the driver returned it's maximum
> field width (the V4L2 API specifies that in the S_FMT call that if the
> calling application specifies an invalid width, the driver can return
> a valid width and the application should recognize and use that
> value).
>
> Devin

* Re: HVR-1300 analog inputs
@ 2011-06-06 16:45   ` Florent Audebert
From: Florent Audebert @ 2011-06-06 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Heitmueller; +Cc: linux-media

On 06/01/2011 05:49 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Florent Audebert
> <florent.audebert@anevia.com>  wrote:
>> I'm experimenting around with an Hauppauge HVR-1300 (cx88_blackbird) analog
>> inputs (PAL-I signal).
>>
> You probably won't be able to go any higher than a width of 720.  That
> said, it looks like either the driver is not responding properly or
> the application doesn't realize that the driver returned it's maximum
> field width (the V4L2 API specifies that in the S_FMT call that if the
> calling application specifies an invalid width, the driver can return
> a valid width and the application should recognize and use that
> value).

Thanks for your answer.

I've tried using mplayer as suggested in another post. Resolution is
alright with both composite and s-video (PAL-I). I suppose something
went wrong with qv4l2.

Nonetheless, I have vertical lines when using s-video at MPEG device
output (more visible in white areas)[1].

Reading from capture device is alright whether s-video (input=2) or
composite (input=1) is selected. I've tested it like this:

   mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:input=1:normid=4:device=/dev/video0

Note that I am using media_build.git and mplayer trunks.

Any idea why I'm getting those vertical lines with s-video from decoder
output only ?

Regards,

[1] http://bit.ly/iEm8xd

--
Florent Audebert

* Re: HVR-1300 analog inputs
@ 2011-06-06 16:55     ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2011-06-06 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Audebert; +Cc: linux-media

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Florent Audebert
<florent.audebert@anevia.com> wrote:
> Nonetheless, I have vertical lines when using s-video at MPEG device output
> (more visible in white areas)[1].
>
> Reading from capture device is alright whether s-video (input=2) or
> composite (input=1) is selected. I've tested it like this:

So, if I understand you correctly, you're getting the lines when using
the MPEG encoder but not the raw output?  This looks like the
decoder's clamp control registers are not properly configured, which I
would have assumed would occur regardless of whether the encoder was
being used.

Devin

--

@ 2011-06-06 17:17       ` Florent Audebert
From: Florent Audebert @ 2011-06-06 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Heitmueller; +Cc: linux-media

On 06/06/2011 06:55 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Florent Audebert
> <florent.audebert@anevia.com>  wrote:
>> Nonetheless, I have vertical lines when using s-video at MPEG device output
>> (more visible in white areas)[1].
>>
>> Reading from capture device is alright whether s-video (input=2) or
>> composite (input=1) is selected. I've tested it like this:
>
> So, if I understand you correctly, you're getting the lines when using
> the MPEG encoder but not the raw output?  This looks like the
> decoder's clamp control registers are not properly configured, which I
> would have assumed would occur regardless of whether the encoder was
> being used.

That's right. RAW output seems clean so far in all cases.

  - When selecting composite input, MPEG encoder output is clean
  - When selecting s-video input, MPEG encoder output have lines

Florent AUDEBERT

* Re: HVR-1300 analog inputs
@ 2011-06-06 17:22         ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2011-06-06 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Audebert; +Cc: linux-media

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Florent Audebert
<florent.audebert@anevia.com> wrote:
> That's right. RAW output seems clean so far in all cases.
>
>  - When selecting composite input, MPEG encoder output is clean
>  - When selecting s-video input, MPEG encoder output have lines

Oh, that is interesting.  If I had to bet, I would think perhaps
enabling the MPEG encoder is causing a reset of the decoder's register
state, and the defaults are probably appropriate for CVBS input (in
terms of things like the clamp control, comb filter configuration,
etc).

Devin