* [Qemu-devel]  Qemu performance
@ 2011-06-29  7:37 Lê Đức Tài
From: Lê Đức Tài @ 2011-06-29  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel@nongnu.orgDevelopers

I have a question about performance of Qemu for powerpc.
When I'm changing the CPU clock for taihu board from 33Mhz to 330Mhz by setting
the PLL value, the performance of Guest OS is not increased. I use nbench to
measure the guest performance.
Is qemu always running as maximum performance?

Thank.
Tai

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu performance
@ 2011-06-29 10:27 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-06-29 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lê Đức Tài; +Cc: qemu-devel@nongnu.orgDevelopers

Hi... :)

2011/6/29 Lê Đức Tài <letai_dhqg@yahoo.com.vn>:
> Hi,
> I have a question about performance of Qemu for powerpc.
> When I'm changing the CPU clock for taihu board from 33Mhz to 330Mhz by
> setting the PLL value, the performance of Guest OS is not increased. I use
> nbench to measure the guest performance.
> Is qemu always running as maximum performance?
Yes...

Logically, nbench is just pressing out all of your processor can do
(CPU bound tasks). In this case, emulated guest processor clock has
very little meaning IMO. After all, AFAIK it's just a complimentary
info so it is seen as "real processor".

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* [Qemu-devel] Về:  Qemu performance
@ 2011-06-30  2:11   ` Lê Đức Tài
From: Lê Đức Tài @ 2011-06-30  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mulyadi Santosa; +Cc: qemu-devel@nongnu.orgDevelopers

Thank for your answer.
Beside nbench, I'm also using Dhrystone to measure the guest cpu performance.
The performance does not much diffetence too.
Is the emulated guest performance not depend on guest processor clock?

Tai

________________________________
Từ: Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@gmail.com>
Đến: Lê Đức Tài <letai_dhqg@yahoo.com.vn>
Cc: "qemu-devel@nongnu.orgDevelopers" <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>
Gửi ngày: 17:27:20, Thứ Tư, 29 tháng 6 2011
Chủ đề: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu performance

Hi... :)

2011/6/29 Lê Đức Tài <letai_dhqg@yahoo.com.vn>:
> Hi,
> I have a question about performance of Qemu for powerpc.
> When I'm changing the CPU clock for taihu board from 33Mhz to 330Mhz by
> setting the PLL value, the performance of Guest OS is not increased. I use
> nbench to measure the guest performance.
> Is qemu always running as maximum performance?
Yes...

Logically, nbench is just pressing out all of your processor can do
(CPU bound tasks). In this case, emulated guest processor clock has
very little meaning IMO. After all, AFAIK it's just a complimentary
info so it is seen as "real processor".

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Về:  Qemu performance
@ 2011-06-30  8:24     ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2011-06-30  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lê Đức Tài
  Cc: Mulyadi Santosa, qemu-devel@nongnu.orgDevelopers

On 30.06.2011, at 04:11, Lê Đức Tài <letai_dhqg@yahoo.com.vn> wrote:

> Thank for your answer.
> Beside nbench, I'm also using Dhrystone to measure the guest cpu performance.
> The performance does not much diffetence too.
> Is the emulated guest performance not depend on guest processor clock?

Please don't top-post.

Qemu doesn't emulate cycle-accurately. Instead, it converts guest code to host code and executes it as fast as it can. So whatever you tell the guest on the cpu speed doesn't really matter. Except for the timebase of course :).

Mind if I ask what exactly you're trying to do with ppc emulation? I'm interested in use cases people have.

Alex

@ 2011-07-09  4:12   ` Lê Đức Tài
From: Lê Đức Tài @ 2011-07-09  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Graf; +Cc: Mulyadi Santosa, qemu-devel@nongnu.orgDevelopers

On 08.07.2011, at 16:55, Alexander Graf <agraf@suse.de> wrote:

> I see. Qemu always gives you "best performance", as it can't throttle the guest
>:). Btw, I'd be happy to merge your custom board (or at least some components of
>it if they are reasonably mainstream) upstream, if you think it makes sense and
>the code is in good shape.
>
> Alex

I'm a new in Qemu.
I'm beginning to develop my custom board, and the is no components is
implemented :).
So, I'm looking forward to get help from you.

Thank you for your support from the past till now.

@ 2011-07-08  9:55 ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2011-07-08  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lê Đức Tài
  Cc: Mulyadi Santosa, qemu-devel@nongnu.orgDevelopers