* Fwd: how to debug kernel in qemu using ubuntu image
       [not found] <mailman.158.1305555215.2682.kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org>
@ 2011-05-16 15:56 ` Vikram Narayanan
From: Vikram Narayanan @ 2011-05-16 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> Hello all,
>
> I asked my question in "linux kernel" mailing list, and I was
> suggested to forward it to this mailing list.
>
> I'm using linux-0.2.img image(which is a light linux image) to debug
> kernel using Qemu. I'm working on IO schedulers' optimization. As Qemu
> boots kernel, IO scheduler sends read requests to disk. Also by
> entering commands such as 'ls', it sends read requests. I'm looking
> for a way to send write requests. Thus I thought that using a
> benchmark which sends both read and write requests, is suitable, but
> as linux-0.2.img is a very simple and light image, it is almost
> impossible to setup heavy benchmarks on it. So I want to use an ubuntu
> image instead. But I don't know where I should see kernel printks.
kernel printk's can be seen from the dmesg output.
Just type dmesg in your shell.
You can also see that in /var/log/syslog

Hope it helps,
Vikram

* Fwd: how to debug kernel in qemu using ubuntu image
@ 2011-05-16 18:26   ` Amirali Shambayati
From: Amirali Shambayati @ 2011-05-16 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

That was helpful, thanks a lot.

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Vikram Narayanan <vikram186@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I asked my question in "linux kernel" mailing list, and I was
>> suggested to forward it to this mailing list.
>>
>> I'm using linux-0.2.img image(which is a light linux image) to debug
>> kernel using Qemu. I'm working on IO schedulers' optimization. As Qemu
>> boots kernel, IO scheduler sends read requests to disk. Also by
>> entering commands such as 'ls', it sends read requests. I'm looking
>> for a way to send write requests. Thus I thought that using a
>> benchmark which sends both read and write requests, is suitable, but
>> as linux-0.2.img is a very simple and light image, it is almost
>> impossible to setup heavy benchmarks on it. So I want to use an ubuntu
>> image instead. But I don't know where I should see kernel printks.
> kernel printk's can be seen from the dmesg output.
> Just type dmesg in your shell.
> You can also see that in /var/log/syslog
>
> Hope it helps,
> Vikram

Amirali Shambayati
Bachelor Student
Computer Engineering Department
Sharif University of Technology
Tehran, Iran

* Fwd: how to debug kernel in qemu using ubuntu image
@ 2011-05-16  6:40 ` Amirali Shambayati