* [Qemu-devel] documentation on qemu
@ 2011-04-27 17:20 Renjith Ravindran
From: Renjith Ravindran @ 2011-04-27 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

hi all..
        i am renjith a cs student from inda. I am new to this list :)

recently i had done some study of qemu as part of an academic project, in
the process i had made some documentation on qemu ..theory and and some high
level code organization etc.
i got info from ppts, qemu forums (discussions of be.stefano and
bluesqirl..if i am right)...and some code reading by myself. I thought it
could be useful to other beginners. It would be good if someone here could
review it.  I am attaching the chapter from my report. pls tell if the doc
is any good.

--
cheers.
Renjith P Ravindran

Do not go gentle into that good night, Rage, Rage against the dying of the
Light ~ Dylan Thomas

[-- Attachment #2: 7corrected.pdf --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] documentation on qemu
@ 2011-04-27 18:54 ` Blue Swirl
From: Blue Swirl @ 2011-04-27 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renjith Ravindran; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Renjith Ravindran
<renjithforever@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi all..
>         i am renjith a cs student from inda. I am new to this list :)
> recently i had done some study of qemu as part of an academic project, in
> the process i had made some documentation on qemu ..theory and and some high
> level code organization etc.
> i got info from ppts, qemu forums (discussions of be.stefano and
> bluesqirl..if i am right)...and some code reading by myself. I thought it
> could be useful to other beginners. It would be good if someone here could
> review it.  I am attaching the chapter from my report. pls tell if the doc
> is any good.

Maybe it can be useful. Perhaps you could also use it to improve QEMU
documentation, for example clarifying qemu-tech.texi and adding
comments to poorly commented source files?

On page 30, the architecture list is slightly misleading. For example,
i386 directory contains support for both x86_32 and x86_64, likewise
MIPS, SPARC and PPC.

p. 31: GCC was used only during QEMU build even with dyngen. A C file
containing the ops was compiled with GCC, this was processed by dyngen
tool to extract the host machine instructions for each op.

p. 36 Figure 7.6: the ops are corrupted.

There are a few typos, for example QEMU is not written using correct
case in the chapter heading, which repeats on the top of every page...

* Re: [Qemu-devel] documentation on qemu
@ 2011-04-28  6:51 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-04-28  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renjith Ravindran; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi...

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 00:20, Renjith Ravindran
<renjithforever@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi all..
>         i am renjith a cs student from inda. I am new to this list :)
> recently i had done some study of qemu as part of an academic project, in
> the process i had made some documentation on qemu ..theory and and some high
> level code organization etc.
Nice! IMHO, I think you could use what you have known so far by
extending this wiki page too:
http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/GettingStartedDevelopers

of course, that's..if you want and willing to...... by doing that...we
will have more centralized documentation.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant