* [Xenomai-help] apt-get mmap() error after upgrading to Xenomai 2.5.6
@ 2011-04-24  0:10 at91_enthus
From: at91_enthus @ 2011-04-24  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai-help

Hi.

I patched a 2.6.35 kernel with Xenomai 2.5.6.

I was able to do a first update and even install a few packages on my
Atmel board.
However, when I tried to install some more on the board, I got his
error message:
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Couldn't make mmap of 25165824 bytes - mmap (12: Cannot allocate memory)
W: Unable to close mmap - mmap (22: Invalid argument)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

What's interesting about this situation is that apt-get works great
after a fresh rootfs install.
As soon as I issue apt-get update/upgrade/install for a
second/third/... time, I get the above error message.

The filesystem resides on a ext4 formatted uSD, so this error cannot
be jffs2-related.
Also, increasing the cache size in apt configuration files doesn't work.

Here are some alternative configurations that didn't mess with apt-get:

(1) kernel 2.6.33, no Xenomai
(2) kernel  2.6.33, Xenomai 2.5.5
(3) kernel 2.6.35, no Xenomai

and here are the ones that made me think that 2.5.6 might interfere
with apt-get:

(1) kernel 2.6.33, Xenomai 2.5.6
(2) kernel 2.6.35, Xenomai 2.5.6

System configuration:

rootfs:       Debian Squeeze
proc:        AT91SAM9G20
kernel:      2.6.35.9
Xenomai:  2.5.6

Thank you,
R.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] apt-get mmap() error after upgrading to Xenomai 2.5.6
@ 2011-04-24  6:37 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
       [not found]   ` <BANLkTi=dNEnxnBPO7T8rbJYhh040FQv-gw@domain.hid>
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2011-04-24  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: at91_enthus; +Cc: xenomai-help

at91_enthus wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I patched a 2.6.35 kernel with Xenomai 2.5.6.
>
> I was able to do a first update and even install a few packages on my
> Atmel board.
> However, when I tried to install some more on the board, I got his
> error message:
> Reading package lists... Error!
> E: Couldn't make mmap of 25165824 bytes - mmap (12: Cannot allocate memory)
> W: Unable to close mmap - mmap (22: Invalid argument)
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>
> What's interesting about this situation is that apt-get works great
> after a fresh rootfs install.
> As soon as I issue apt-get update/upgrade/install for a
> second/third/... time, I get the above error message.
>
> The filesystem resides on a ext4 formatted uSD, so this error cannot
> be jffs2-related.
> Also, increasing the cache size in apt configuration files doesn't work.
>
> Here are some alternative configurations that didn't mess with apt-get:
>
> (1) kernel 2.6.33, no Xenomai
> (2) kernel  2.6.33, Xenomai 2.5.5
> (3) kernel 2.6.35, no Xenomai
>
> and here are the ones that made me think that 2.5.6 might interfere
> with apt-get:
>
> (1) kernel 2.6.33, Xenomai 2.5.6
> (2) kernel 2.6.35, Xenomai 2.5.6

What FCSE options have you configured?

--
                                                                Gilles.

@ 2011-04-24  7:12     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2011-04-24  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: at91_enthus; +Cc: Xenomai help

at91_enthus wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Gilles Chanteperdrix
>> What FCSE options have you configured?
>>

> FCSE mode (guaranteed)

That is probably the issue then. In guaranteed mode, a process can not
have an address space larger than 32MB. apt-get probably wants more than
that. If you enable CONFIG_ARM_FCSE_MESSAGES and this is indeed your
issue, you should see some message in the kernel logs (FCSE: process
%u(%s) VM would exceed the 32MB limit)

If this is the case, check the stack-size with ulimit -s and see if it
is still 1MB.

Please no private mails.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] apt-get mmap() error after upgrading to Xenomai 2.5.6
@ 2011-04-24  7:33       ` at91_enthus
From: at91_enthus @ 2011-04-24  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai help

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Gilles Chanteperdrix
<gilles.chanteperdrix@xenomai.org> wrote:
> at91_enthus wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Gilles Chanteperdrix
>>> What FCSE options have you configured?
>>>

>> FCSE mode (guaranteed)
>
> That is probably the issue then. In guaranteed mode, a process can not
> have an address space larger than 32MB. apt-get probably wants more than
> that. If you enable CONFIG_ARM_FCSE_MESSAGES and this is indeed your
> issue, you should see some message in the kernel logs (FCSE: process
> %u(%s) VM would exceed the 32MB limit)
>
> If this is the case, check the stack-size with ulimit -s and see if it
> is still 1MB.

That fixed it.
Thank you.