* No Tegra board file updates for 2.6.40
@ 2011-05-20  1:48 Colin Cross
       [not found] ` <BANLkTin-MrstYQQ0M7DfGFEpzKnyEUWVmg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Colin Cross @ 2011-05-20  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-tegra, Marc Dietrich, Mike Rapoport, Olof Johansson, Erik Gilling

Russell is trying to keep the overall diff stats for 2.6.40 in
arch/arm/ negative, and to support that I am not going to pull any
board file changes for 2.6.40.  Hopefully we'll have a clear direction
on how to proceed with new boards and new devices in existing boards
in 2.6.41.  I plan to pull all the outstanding changes and put them in
Tegra's for-next as soon as 2.6.40-rc1 is released.

In 2.6.40 I'll try to move some of the core drivers like gpio into
drivers/, which should help provide some negative diffstat to offset
board files and PM support.

* Re: No Tegra board file updates for 2.6.40
       [not found] ` <BANLkTin-MrstYQQ0M7DfGFEpzKnyEUWVmg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-05-20 16:42   ` Mike Rapoport
From: Mike Rapoport @ 2011-05-20 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Cross
  Cc: linux-tegra, Marc Dietrich, Mike Rapoport, Olof Johansson, Erik Gilling

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Colin Cross <ccross-hpIqsD4AKlfQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Russell is trying to keep the overall diff stats for 2.6.40 in
> arch/arm/ negative, and to support that I am not going to pull any
> board file changes for 2.6.40.

That's a pity ... :(

>  Hopefully we'll have a clear direction
> on how to proceed with new boards and new devices in existing boards
> in 2.6.41.

I don't think there will be any significant change. I doubt the
devicetree ability to go up to speed in that short time...
As an intemediate measure I'd suggest adding
tegra_register_<device>(struct <device>_platform_data *) to, say
arch/arm/mach-tegra/devices.[ch]. It will not generate negative
diffstat, but it reduces amount of code duplications among board files
and may prove helpfull when we'll transition to the devicetree.

> I plan to pull all the outstanding changes and put them in
> Tegra's for-next as soon as 2.6.40-rc1 is released.
>
> In 2.6.40 I'll try to move some of the core drivers like gpio into
> drivers/, which should help provide some negative diffstat to offset
> board files and PM support.

Sincerely Yours,
Mike.