* xl save -c issues with Windows 7 Ultimate
@ 2011-04-29 19:28 AP Xen
From: AP Xen @ 2011-04-29 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I am trying to do an "xl save -c" on a Windows 7 Ultimate domain that
will leave the domain running at the end of the save operation.

root@ubuntu:/etc/xen# xl -v save -c win7 win7chk win7
Saving to win7chk new xl format (info 0x0/0x0/232)
xc: detail: delta 8875ms, dom0 20%, target 0%, sent 971Mb/s, dirtied
0Mb/s 0 pages
xc: detail: Total pages sent= 263168 (0.25x)
xc: detail: (of which 0 were fixups)
xc: detail: All memory is saved
xc: detail: Save exit rc=0

root@ubuntu:/etc/xen# xl list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs	State	Time(s)
Domain-0                                    0  2914     4     r-----     604.5
win7                                           8  1019     2
---ss-       9.8

At the end of this the domain is frozen. Is this a known issue? Any
pointers as to how to debug this? Where does xl pipe its debug
messages to?

BTW, if I destroy the domain and bring it back up using "xl restore",
it comes up successfully.

Thanks,
AP

* Re: xl save -c issues with Windows 7 Ultimate
@ 2011-05-03 11:07 ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2011-05-03 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AP Xen; +Cc: xen-devel

Have you tried it with other operating systems and found it to work?
I.e., is it something specific to Windows 7, or is it a general HVM /
Windows problem?

 -George

@ 2011-05-03 13:01 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2011-05-03 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AP Xen; +Cc: Rajagopalan, xen-devel, Shriram

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 20:28 +0100, AP Xen wrote:
> I am trying to do an "xl save -c" on a Windows 7 Ultimate domain that
> will leave the domain running at the end of the save operation.

Do you have pv drivers installed which support checkpoint suspends? I'm
not sure if such a thing even exists for Windows.

I'm also not entirely sure that checkpointing was ever supported for HVM
domains without PV drivers (e.g. via emulated hibernation). Perhaps the
Remus guys know?

[...]
> At the end of this the domain is frozen. Is this a known issue? Any
> pointers as to how to debug this? Where does xl pipe its debug
> messages to?

/var/log/xen/xl-<domname>.log. You can also do "xl -vvv <command>" to
get some additional debug output.

Ian.

* Re: xl save -c issues with Windows 7 Ultimate
@ 2011-05-03 14:09   ` Shriram Rajagopalan
From: Shriram Rajagopalan @ 2011-05-03 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@citrix.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 20:28 +0100, AP Xen wrote:
> > I am trying to do an "xl save -c" on a Windows 7 Ultimate domain that
> > will leave the domain running at the end of the save operation.
>
> Do you have pv drivers installed which support checkpoint suspends? I'm
> not sure if such a thing even exists for Windows.
>
> I'm also not entirely sure that checkpointing was ever supported for HVM
> domains without PV drivers (e.g. via emulated hibernation). Perhaps the
> Remus guys know?
>
> Remus works with HVM domains via normal xenstore based suspend/resume.
Only PV-HVM support is "disabled" for the moment.

> [...]
> > At the end of this the domain is frozen. Is this a known issue? Any
> > pointers as to how to debug this? Where does xl pipe its debug
> > messages to?
>
> /var/log/xen/xl-<domname>.log. You can also do "xl -vvv <command>" to
> get some additional debug output.
>
> Yes. the logs would be great. Also, by frozen, do you mean the domain
remains
in "suspended" state? or is Windows hung?

shriram

@ 2011-05-03 14:31     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2011-05-03 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rshriram; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 15:09 +0100, Shriram Rajagopalan wrote:

> Remus works with HVM domains via normal xenstore based suspend/resume.
> Only PV-HVM support is "disabled" for the moment.

I'm confused ;-)

PV-HVM uses PV suspend, which can be triggered either by xenstore or the
suspend evtchn, but the choice of which is mostly orthogonal to whether
or not suspend cancellation is supported.

The alternative to PV suspend is the inject an ACPI S3 (or whatever)
event option, isn't it?

Ian.

* Re: xl save -c issues with Windows 7 Ultimate
@ 2011-05-03 14:42       ` Tim Deegan
From: Tim Deegan @ 2011-05-03 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: rshriram, xen-devel

At 15:31 +0100 on 03 May (1304436713), Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 15:09 +0100, Shriram Rajagopalan wrote:
>
> > Remus works with HVM domains via normal xenstore based suspend/resume.
> > Only PV-HVM support is "disabled" for the moment.
>
> I'm confused ;-)
>
> PV-HVM uses PV suspend, which can be triggered either by xenstore or the
> suspend evtchn, but the choice of which is mostly orthogonal to whether
> or not suspend cancellation is supported.
>
> The alternative to PV suspend is the inject an ACPI S3 (or whatever)
> event option, isn't it?

The alternative is not to involve the OS at all; just use the normal HVM
save and restore functions.  For Remus, where downtime will be low and
storage consistency is handled elsewhere, that's good enough.

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@citrix.com>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team

* Re: xl save -c issues with Windows 7 Ultimate
@ 2011-05-03 16:32         ` Shriram Rajagopalan
From: Shriram Rajagopalan @ 2011-05-03 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Deegan; +Cc: Ian Campbell, xen-devel

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@citrix.com> wrote:

> At 15:31 +0100 on 03 May (1304436713), Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 15:09 +0100, Shriram Rajagopalan wrote:
> >
> > > Remus works with HVM domains via normal xenstore based suspend/resume.
> > > Only PV-HVM support is "disabled" for the moment.
> >
> > I'm confused ;-)
> >
> > PV-HVM uses PV suspend, which can be triggered either by xenstore or the
> > suspend evtchn, but the choice of which is mostly orthogonal to whether
> > or not suspend cancellation is supported.
> >
> > The alternative to PV suspend is the inject an ACPI S3 (or whatever)
> > event option, isn't it?
>
> The alternative is not to involve the OS at all; just use the normal HVM
> save and restore functions.  For Remus, where downtime will be low and
> storage consistency is handled elsewhere, that's good enough.
>
> Tim.

Enabling it is a matter of just removing the check for pvhvm, which I ll
remove
and send out a patch soon. :-)
 I was waiting for the last remus patch (remus: fix incorrect error handling
for
switch_qemu_logdirty...) to get pulled in before sending the patch.

shriram

@ 2011-05-03 16:35           ` Brendan Cully
From: Brendan Cully @ 2011-05-03 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rshriram; +Cc: Ian Campbell, xen-devel, Tim Deegan

On 2011-05-03, at 9:32 AM, Shriram Rajagopalan wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@citrix.com> wrote:
> At 15:31 +0100 on 03 May (1304436713), Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 15:09 +0100, Shriram Rajagopalan wrote:
> >
> > > Remus works with HVM domains via normal xenstore based suspend/resume.
> > > Only PV-HVM support is "disabled" for the moment.
> >
> > I'm confused ;-)
> >
> > PV-HVM uses PV suspend, which can be triggered either by xenstore or the
> > suspend evtchn, but the choice of which is mostly orthogonal to whether
> > or not suspend cancellation is supported.
> >
> > The alternative to PV suspend is the inject an ACPI S3 (or whatever)
> > event option, isn't it?
>
> The alternative is not to involve the OS at all; just use the normal HVM
> save and restore functions.  For Remus, where downtime will be low and
> storage consistency is handled elsewhere, that's good enough.
>
> Tim.
>

> Enabling it is a matter of just removing the check for pvhvm, which I ll remove
> and send out a patch soon. :-)
>  I was waiting for the last remus patch (remus: fix incorrect error handling for
> switch_qemu_logdirty...) to get pulled in before sending the patch.

As we discussed earlier, please do not do this without actually testing that pvhvm checkpointing works. On windows. PV suspend is a cooperative process and the reason it is disabled is that it hasn't been tested.

* Re: xl save -c issues with Windows 7 Ultimate
@ 2011-05-03 19:04   ` AP Xen
From: AP Xen @ 2011-05-03 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel

I have only tried with Windows 7 for now. Let me try with CentOS 5.6
and get back to you.

Thanks,
AP

@ 2011-05-03 19:15   ` AP Xen
From: AP Xen @ 2011-05-03 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Shriram Rajagopalan, xen-devel

I  am not running with any PV drivers. I can try with James Harper's
GPLPV drivers and see how it behaves.

Thanks,
AP

@ 2011-05-03 19:17     ` AP Xen
From: AP Xen @ 2011-05-03 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rshriram; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Campbell

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Shriram Rajagopalan <rshriram@cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@citrix.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 20:28 +0100, AP Xen wrote:
>> > I am trying to do an "xl save -c" on a Windows 7 Ultimate domain that
>> > will leave the domain running at the end of the save operation.
>>
>> Do you have pv drivers installed which support checkpoint suspends? I'm
>> not sure if such a thing even exists for Windows.
>>
>> I'm also not entirely sure that checkpointing was ever supported for HVM
>> domains without PV drivers (e.g. via emulated hibernation). Perhaps the
>> Remus guys know?
>>
> Remus works with HVM domains via normal xenstore based suspend/resume.
> Only PV-HVM support is "disabled" for the moment.
>>
>> [...]
>> > At the end of this the domain is frozen. Is this a known issue? Any
>> > pointers as to how to debug this? Where does xl pipe its debug
>> > messages to?
>>
>> /var/log/xen/xl-<domname>.log. You can also do "xl -vvv <command>" to
>> get some additional debug output.
>>
> Yes. the logs would be great. Also, by frozen, do you mean the domain
> remains
> in "suspended" state? or is Windows hung?

Not sure what the difference between Windows being suspended and hung
is. Here is the xl list output:
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs	State	Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  2914     4     r-----    1259.0
win7                                        15  1019     2     ---ss-       0.3

Here is the log:
Saving to win7chk new xl format (info 0x0/0x0/255)
libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:378:libxl__domain_suspend_common_callback
Calling xc_domain_shutdown on HVM domain
libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:438:libxl__domain_suspend_common_callback
wait for the guest to suspend
libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:450:libxl__domain_suspend_common_callback
guest has suspended
xc: debug: outbuf_write: 4194304 > 90092@16687124
xc: debug: outbuf_write: 4194304 > 4169716@12607500
[...]
xc: detail: delta 9991ms, dom0 27%, target 0%, sent 863Mb/s, dirtied
0Mb/s 0 pages
xc: detail: Total pages sent= 263168 (0.25x)
xc: detail: (of which 0 were fixups)
xc: detail: All memory is saved
xc: detail: Save exit rc=0
libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:534:libxl__domain_save_device_model Saving
device model state to /var/lib/xen/qemu-save.15
libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:546:libxl__domain_save_device_model Qemu
state is 7204 bytes

@ 2011-05-05 14:42       ` Shriram Rajagopalan
From: Shriram Rajagopalan @ 2011-05-05 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AP Xen; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Campbell

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM, AP Xen <apxeng@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> xc: debug: outbuf_write: 4194304 > 4169716@12607500
> xc: debug: outbuf_write: 4194304 > 4169716@12607500
> xc: debug: outbuf_write: 4194304 > 4169716@12607500
> xc: debug: outbuf_write: 4194304 > 4169716@12607500
> xc: debug: outbuf_write: 4194304 > 4169716@12607500
> xc: debug: outbuf_write: 4194304 > 4169716@12607500
> xc: detail: delta 9991ms, dom0 27%, target 0%, sent 863Mb/s, dirtied
> 0Mb/s 0 pages
> xc: detail: Total pages sent= 263168 (0.25x)
> xc: detail: (of which 0 were fixups)
> xc: detail: All memory is saved
> xc: detail: Save exit rc=0
> libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:534:libxl__domain_save_device_model Saving
> device model state to /var/lib/xen/qemu-save.15
> libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:546:libxl__domain_save_device_model Qemu
> state is 7204 bytes
>

> Ok. I see a "HVM shutdown". But where is the resume?
Going through the libxl code, one obvious difference I see between xl's
implementation of save
and the old xm implementation is, xl calls "xc_domain_unpause" while the xm
implementation
calls xc_domain_resume.

Just in case, have you tried the same with xm save -c ?
shriram

@ 2011-05-05 21:01         ` AP Xen
From: AP Xen @ 2011-05-05 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rshriram; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Campbell

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Shriram Rajagopalan <rshriram@cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
> [...]
>> xc: detail: delta 9991ms, dom0 27%, target 0%, sent 863Mb/s, dirtied
>> 0Mb/s 0 pages
>> xc: detail: Total pages sent= 263168 (0.25x)
>> xc: detail: (of which 0 were fixups)
>> xc: detail: All memory is saved
>> xc: detail: Save exit rc=0
>> libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:534:libxl__domain_save_device_model Saving
>> device model state to /var/lib/xen/qemu-save.15
>> libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:546:libxl__domain_save_device_model Qemu
>> state is 7204 bytes
>>

> Ok. I see a "HVM shutdown". But where is the resume?
> Going through the libxl code, one obvious difference I see between xl's
> implementation of save
> and the old xm implementation is, xl calls "xc_domain_unpause" while the xm
> implementation
> calls xc_domain_resume.
>
> Just in case, have you tried the same with xm save -c ?

xm save -c doesn't seem to work at all.

root@tubuntu:/etc/xen# xm save -c win7 win7chk
Error: Timeout waiting for domain 2 to suspend

[2011-05-05 13:55:43 1615] DEBUG (XendCheckpoint:124) [xc_save]:
/usr/lib/xen/bin/xc_save 22 2 0 0 0
[2011-05-05 13:55:43 1615] INFO (XendCheckpoint:423) xc_save: failed
to get the suspend evtchn port
[2011-05-05 13:55:43 1615] INFO (XendCheckpoint:423)
[2011-05-05 13:55:43 1615] DEBUG (XendCheckpoint:394) suspend
[2011-05-05 13:55:43 1615] DEBUG (XendCheckpoint:127) In
saveInputHandler suspend
[2011-05-05 13:55:43 1615] DEBUG (XendCheckpoint:129) Suspending 2 ...
[2011-05-05 13:55:43 1615] DEBUG (XendDomainInfo:524)
XendDomainInfo.shutdown(suspend)
[2011-05-05 13:55:43 1615] DEBUG (XendDomainInfo:1881)
XendDomainInfo.handleShutdownWatch
[2011-05-05 13:56:44 1615] DEBUG (XendDomainInfo:1881)
XendDomainInfo.handleShutdownWatch
[2011-05-05 13:56:44 1615] INFO (XendCheckpoint:423) xc: error:
Suspend request failed: Internal error
[2011-05-05 13:56:44 1615] INFO (XendCheckpoint:423) xc: error: Domain
appears not to have suspended: Internal error
[2011-05-05 13:56:44 1615] ERROR (XendCheckpoint:185) Save failed on
domain win7 (2) - resuming.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
line 146, in save
    forkHelper(cmd, fd, saveInputHandler, False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
line 395, in forkHelper
    inputHandler(line, child.tochild)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
line 131, in saveInputHandler
    dominfo.waitForSuspend()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py",
line 2998, in waitForSuspend
    raise XendError(msg)
XendError: Timeout waiting for domain 2 to suspend
[2011-05-05 13:56:44 1615] DEBUG (XendDomainInfo:3135)
XendDomainInfo.resumeDomain(2)

* Re: xl save -c issues with Windows 7 Ultimate
@ 2011-05-06  2:31           ` Shriram Rajagopalan
From: Shriram Rajagopalan @ 2011-05-06  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AP Xen; +Cc: xen-devel, Ian Campbell

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10061 bytes --]

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM, AP Xen <apxeng@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> [2011-05-05 13:56:44 1615] ERROR (XendCheckpoint:185) Save failed on
> domain win7 (2) - resuming.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
> line 146, in save
>    forkHelper(cmd, fd, saveInputHandler, False)
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
> line 395, in forkHelper
>    inputHandler(line, child.tochild)
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
> line 131, in saveInputHandler
>    dominfo.waitForSuspend()
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py",
> line 2998, in waitForSuspend
>    raise XendError(msg)
> XendError: Timeout waiting for domain 2 to suspend
> [2011-05-05 13:56:44 1615] DEBUG (XendDomainInfo:3135)

shriram

* Re: xl save -c issues with Windows 7 Ultimate
@ 2011-05-06 22:01   ` AP Xen
From: AP Xen @ 2011-05-06 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 4:07 AM, George Dunlap
<George.Dunlap@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> Have you tried it with other operating systems and found it to work?
> I.e., is it something specific to Windows 7, or is it a general HVM /
> Windows problem?

I tried this with CentOS 5.6 and saw the same behavior.

root@ubuntu:~# xl -vvv save -c centos /etc/xen/centoschk
Saving to /etc/xen/centoschk new xl format (info 0x0/0x0/255)
libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:384:libxl__domain_suspend_common_callback
issuing PVHVM suspend request via XenBus control node
libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:389:libxl__domain_suspend_common_callback
wait for the guest to acknowledge suspend request
libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:434:libxl__domain_suspend_common_callback
guest acknowledged suspend request
[...]
xc: detail: type fail: page 0 mfn 000f2000
xc: detail: type fail: page 1 mfn 000f2001
xc: detail: type fail: page 2 mfn 000f2002
xc: detail: delta 9371ms, dom0 25%, target 0%, sent 920Mb/s, dirtied
0Mb/s 0 pages
xc: detail: Total pages sent= 263168 (0.25x)
xc: detail: (of which 0 were fixups)
xc: detail: All memory is saved
xc: detail: Save exit rc=0
libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:534:libxl__domain_save_device_model Saving
device model state to /var/lib/xen/qemu-save.7
libxl: debug: libxl_dom.c:546:libxl__domain_save_device_model Qemu
state is 7204 bytes

root@ubuntu:~# xl list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs	State	Time(s)
Domain-0                                    0  2914     4     r-----    6576.4
centos                                        7  1019     2     ---ss-     575.4