* Re: I/O APIC: Timer through 8259A revamp
       [not found]   ` <fa.p4mWFgWCFwhnKR83MseIShfc6uQ@ifi.uio.no>
@ 2009-04-23 17:45     ` yuhong
From: yuhong @ 2009-04-23 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej W. Rozycki
  Cc: Maciej W. Rozycki, Andi Kleen, Ingo Molnar, Thomas Gleixner,
	linux-kernel

>  The new burst of breakage came with the invention of ACPI and its tables
> for interrupt routing for the APIC.
Yep, when NVIDIA and ATI entered the chipset market, who would have
predicted that it would cause more 8254 and APIC related troubles? Or
it would be years before it were finally fixed properly? Even worse,
ATI made chipsets before AMD and Intel introduced their 64-bit CPUs,
yet it was the x86-64 architecture where the attempts to fix the ATI
APIC 8254 timer issues were going to. Only later when it was finally
fixed properly was it backported to x86.

* Re: I/O APIC: Timer through 8259A revamp
@ 2009-04-23 18:04       ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2009-04-23 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yuhong
  Cc: Maciej W. Rozycki, Andi Kleen, Ingo Molnar, Thomas Gleixner,
	linux-kernel

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:45:03AM -0700, yuhong wrote:
> >  The new burst of breakage came with the invention of ACPI and its tables
> > for interrupt routing for the APIC.
> Yep, when NVIDIA and ATI entered the chipset market, who would have
> predicted that it would cause more 8254 and APIC related troubles? Or
> it would be years before it were finally fixed properly? Even worse,
> ATI made chipsets before AMD and Intel introduced their 64-bit CPUs,
> yet it was the x86-64 architecture where the attempts to fix the ATI
> APIC 8254 timer issues were going to. Only later when it was finally
> fixed properly was it backported to x86.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The ATI timer fixes were done
on both i386 and x86-64.

-Andi

* RE: I/O APIC: Timer through 8259A revamp
@ 2009-04-23 22:04         ` Yuhong Bao
From: Yuhong Bao @ 2009-04-23 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andi, macro, mingo, tglx, linux-kernel

> I'm not sure what you mean here. The ATI timer fixes were done
> on both i386 and x86-64.
See this thread:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/2/28/256

Yuhong Bao

Create a cool, new character for your Windows Live™ Messenger.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9656621

* RE: I/O APIC: Timer through 8259A revamp
@ 2009-10-03  6:51         ` Yuhong Bao
From: Yuhong Bao @ 2009-10-03  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andi; +Cc: macro, mingo, tglx, linux-kernel

 <20090423180419.GT13896@one.firstfloor.org>

> On Thu=2C Apr 23=2C 2009 at 10:45:03AM -0700=2C yuhong wrote:
>>>  The new burst of breakage came with the invention of ACPI and its tabl=
es
>>> for interrupt routing for the APIC.
>> Yep=2C when NVIDIA and ATI entered the chipset market=2C who would have
>> predicted that it would cause more 8254 and APIC related troubles? Or
>> it would be years before it were finally fixed properly? Even worse=2C
>> ATI made chipsets before AMD and Intel introduced their 64-bit CPUs=2C
>> yet it was the x86-64 architecture where the attempts to fix the ATI
>> APIC 8254 timer issues were going to. Only later when it was finally
>> fixed properly was it backported to x86.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here. The ATI timer fixes were done
> on both i386 and x86-64.

But why did it took so long to finally fix this when ATI has been making ch=
ipsets since 2001?
Even worse=2C why was the attempts to fix this issue going to the x86-64 br=
anch when ATI was making chipsets before the AMD Athlon 64 was even release=
d?

Yuhong Bao
 		 	   		  =0A=
Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection.=0A=
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/=