* Finding devices with dynamic IP addresses
@ 2007-02-12 15:49 Edward Jubenville
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Edward Jubenville @ 2007-02-12 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linuxppc-Embedded

I hope this isn't off topic here...

My network will contain several ELDK-based devices configured with dynamic
IP addresses (DHCP).  I need a way for any Windows PC on the subnet to
locate the devices without prior knowledge of their IP address.  I'm hoping
to find a peer-to-peer
solution that doesn't involve a third party (DNS) server.

Can anyone recommend a strategy for finding devices with dynamic IPs?

I'm using ELDK 3.1 on a custom MPC5200-based board.

Thanks,

Ed Jubenville

* RE: Finding devices with dynamic IP addresses
@ 2007-02-12 21:25 ` Eric Nuckols
From: Eric Nuckols @ 2007-02-12 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edjubenville, linuxppc-embedded

>From: "Edward Jubenville" <edjubenville@adelphia.net>
>I hope this isn't off topic here...
>
>My network will contain several ELDK-based devices configured with dynamic
>IP addresses (DHCP).  I need a way for any Windows PC on the subnet to
>locate the devices without prior knowledge of their IP address.  I'm hoping
>to find a peer-to-peer
>solution that doesn't involve a third party (DNS) server.

not sure if you can do a broadcast ping and look at the arp info on
windows..but if I were to do this in linux, I'd do something like the
following

ping -b 255.255.255.255

CTRL-C after a few seconds

then

arp

Spaces

* Re: Finding devices with dynamic IP addresses
@ 2007-02-16 16:06 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2007-02-16 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Jubenville; +Cc: Linuxppc-Embedded

In message <GPECLCIGPLHEOMGPMCPACELEEGAA.edjubenville@adelphia.net> you wrote:

> My network will contain several ELDK-based devices configured with dynamic
> IP addresses (DHCP).  I need a way for any Windows PC on the subnet to
> locate the devices without prior knowledge of their IP address.  I'm hoping
> to find a peer-to-peer
> solution that doesn't involve a third party (DNS) server.

Assign names and use a name server?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
"Ada is PL/I trying to be Smalltalk.                 - Codoso diBlini

* RE: Finding devices with dynamic IP addresses
@ 2007-02-16 17:28 ` Rune Torgersen
From: Rune Torgersen @ 2007-02-16 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Jubenville, Linuxppc-Embedded

> From: Edward Jubenville
> Can anyone recommend a strategy for finding devices with dynamic IPs?

To do somehting similar here, we use a scheme were the windows host
sends out a UDP broadcast message, and all the devices have daemon
running, listening to that broadcast, and sends back (via broadcast) a
response with the IP address and serial number embedded.

We use this to identify all running devices on the network.
This only works within the same subnet.