* getdents and dentry cache
@ 2013-05-30 19:07 TR Reardon
From: TR Reardon @ 2013-05-30 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel

Just looking for a pointer or a brief history that might make clearer to me what is not currently obvious, having exhaustively scanned through this list and kernel source.

For filesystems such as ext2/3/4, getdents() just calls down to the underlying filesystem which in turns calls into the disk pagecache.  Why is getdents() not instead serviced via dcache?

+Reardon 		 	   		  --

* Re: getdents and dentry cache
@ 2013-05-31 17:10 ` Al Viro
From: Al Viro @ 2013-05-31 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TR Reardon; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 03:07:06PM -0400, TR Reardon wrote:
> Just looking for a pointer or a brief history that might make clearer to me what is not currently obvious, having exhaustively scanned through this list and kernel source. ?
>
> For filesystems such as ext2/3/4, getdents() just calls down to the underlying filesystem which in turns calls into the disk pagecache. ?Why is getdents() not instead serviced via dcache?

Er...  Just how would it be serviced via dcache?  dcache granularity is one
entry; getdents() is used to give _all_ entries in directory, present in
dcache or not.  Moreover, how would you get them in the right order, even
if all of them were present in dcache?