* [snd-via82xx] AC'97 codec invalid on VIA VT8233/A/8235
@ 2004-01-19 19:53 David Hartveld
From: David Hartveld @ 2004-01-19 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi all,

some time ago I replaced my old, broken motherboard with an ASUS A7V8X-X
(via 8235 chipset) one (because both motherboards seemed to have similar
sound chipsets, and on the old (via82c686 chipset) motherboard I had no
problems with my sound).  Now I'm trying to load the snd-via82xx module
under linux-2.6.1, but I'm getting the following message when running

	# modprobe snd-via82xx

	ALSA sound/pci/via82xx.c:512: codec_valid: codec 0 is not valid [0x87e530]

The message is printed out at least 10 times, and sound is not working.  I'm
using standard stereo speakers with this motherboard (it also supports
surround sound).  I've searched this mailing list's archive, but I couldn't
find any similar problems.  I was wondering if this problem is already
known, and if there are any workarounds/patches available.

Some other information:

	# lspci
	00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235
AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

I'm running Debian sarge, with a customized kernel (v2.6.1) directly from
kernel.org.

Thanks in advance,

David Hartveld
<david@hartveld.net> or <dhartveld@hotmail.com>