From: "Sean" <seanlkml@sympatico.ca>
To: "Junio C Hamano" <junkio@cox.net>
Cc: "Peter Eriksen" <s022018@student.dtu.dk>, git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: /bin/sh portability question
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 05:02:57 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Fri, September 23, 2005 4:24 am, Junio C Hamano said:

> I haven't assessed the extent of damage if we tried to use ``
> for portability lately (I did once, and it did not look too bad
> back then).  If somebody comes up with a readable patch, I might
> be persuaded to take it [*1*].

Junio,

It sounds like changing the sha-bang line to "#!/bin/bash" would fix the
problem on Solaris.  As an aside, it would improve vi syntax highlighting
as well.  Does any target system lack bash?

If not, would you accept a patch that first converted the shell scripts to
#!/bin/bash and then added a "make install" option that allowed them to be
replaced?   Something like "make install S=/bin/ash" for instance?

Sean