* Reading about CoW architecture / Performance Limits
@ 2017-01-10  7:07 Christian Theune
From: Christian Theune @ 2017-01-10  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-xfs

as XFS is gaining CoW support I’d like to understand the implementation on a specific aspect: we’re using CoW for making disk image backups as image files in btrfs. This has proven prohibitive once the chain of CoW reflinks grows too long and everything becomes too fragmented. btrfs has improved in some places but the issue still persists.

We’re currently considering to move away from CoW filesystems for our use case and implement a higher level strategy. I now wonder whether XFS will have the same issue or whether the architecture is different in a significant way that will avoid prohibitive performance regressions on long CoW chains (think: hundreds to a few thousand).

I would appreciate a pointer where to look at - I’m a coder but following kernel code to understand architecture hasn’t been successful/efficient for me in the past …

Kind regards,
Christian

--
Christian Theune · ct@flyingcircus.io · +49 345 219401 0