* deleting objects from a pool
@ 2015-06-24 16:43 Deneau, Tom
From: Deneau, Tom @ 2015-06-24 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

I have benchmarking situations where I want to leave a pool around but
delete a lot of objects from the pool.  Is there any really fast way to do that?
I noticed rados rmpool is fast but I don't want to remove the pool.

I have been spawning multiple threads, each deleting a subset of the objects
(which I believe is what rados bench write does) but even that can be very slow.

-- Tom Deneau

* Re: deleting objects from a pool
@ 2015-06-24 16:55 ` Dałek, Piotr
From: Dałek, Piotr @ 2015-06-24 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

For now, apart from "rados -p <poolname> cleanup" (which doesn't purge the pool, but merely removes objects written during last benchmark run), the only option is by brute force:

for i in $(rados -p <poolname> ls); do (rados -p <poolname> rm $i &>/dev/null &); done;

There's no "purge pool" command in rados -- not yet, at least. I was thinking about one, but never really had time to implement one.

With best regards / Pozdrawiam
Piotr Dałek

* RE: deleting objects from a pool
@ 2015-06-24 20:22   ` Deneau, Tom
From: Deneau, Tom @ 2015-06-24 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dałek, Piotr, ceph-devel

I've noticed that deleting objects from a basic k=2 m=1 erasure pool is much much slower than deleting a similar number of objects from a replicated size 3 pool (so the same number of files to be deleted).   It looked like the ec pool object deletion was almost 20x slower.  Is there a lot more work to be done to delete an ec pool object?

-- Tom

@ 2015-06-25  6:06     ` Podoski, Igor
From: Podoski, Igor @ 2015-06-25  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deneau, Tom, Dałek, Piotr, ceph-devel

Hi,

It appears, that cleanup can be used as a purge:

rados -p <poolname> cleanup  --prefix ""

Regards,
Igor.

@ 2015-06-25 15:40       ` Deneau, Tom
From: Deneau, Tom @ 2015-06-25 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Podoski, Igor, Dałek, Piotr, ceph-devel

Igor --

Good command to know, but this is still very slow on an erasure pool.
For example, on my cluster it took 10 seconds with rados bench to write 10,000 40K size objects to an ecpool.
And it took almost 6 minutes to delete them using the command below.

-- Tom

@ 2015-06-26  1:45       ` David Zafman
From: David Zafman @ 2015-06-26  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Podoski, Igor, Deneau, Tom, "Dałek, Piotr", ceph-devel

If you have rados bench data around, you'll need to run cleanup a second
time because the first time the "benchmark_last_metadata" object
will be consulted to find what objects to remove.

Also, using cleanup this way will only remove objects from the default
namespace unless a namespace is specified with the -N option.

rados -p <poolname> -N <namespace> cleanup --prefix ""

David

@ 2015-06-26  5:40         ` Podoski, Igor
From: Podoski, Igor @ 2015-06-26  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Zafman, Deneau, Tom, Dałek, Piotr, ceph-devel

Hi David,

You're right, now I see adding --run-name "" will clean all benchmark data from specified namespace, so you can run command only once.

rados -p <poolname> -N <namespace> cleanup --prefix "" --run-name ""

Regards,
Igor.

@ 2015-06-26 15:21           ` David Zafman
From: David Zafman @ 2015-06-26 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Podoski, Igor, Deneau, Tom, "Dałek, Piotr", ceph-devel

This is a dangerous command because it can remove all your objects. At
least it can only do one namespace at a time.  It was intended to
cleanup rados bench runs, and is dangerous because it doesn't require
extra hoops like rados rmpool does.

I'm tempted to disallow a usage this way with empty --prefix/--run-name
arguments.

David

@ 2015-06-29  6:19             ` Dałek, Piotr
From: Dałek, Piotr @ 2015-06-29  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
> This is a dangerous command because it can remove all your objects.

Well, that's the point of it, isn't it?

> At least
> it can only do one namespace at a time.  It was intended to cleanup rados
> bench runs,

And sometimes you need to clean up failed or more than one run (when "cleanup" doesn't work).

> and is dangerous because it doesn't require extra hoops like
> rados rmpool does.

Actually, it does, because you need to know that you can specify empty prefix or run name, and that's not that common knowledge.

> I'm tempted to disallow a usage this way with empty --prefix/--run-name
> arguments.

One solution would be to have "purge" command with syntax similar to "rmpool".
Disallowing any kind of "purge" without replacement would be a serious PITA for many users, including developers.