* Building linux-yocto kernel in own bsp layer
@ 2013-07-31  7:21 Martin Ertsaas
From: Martin Ertsaas @ 2013-07-31  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi.

I'm creating my own bsp layer for omap4 chips (Yes, I know of meta-ti,
but I want to learn how to do this myself :)). I'm trying to use the
linux-yocto 3.4 kernel,
and have gotten it to work locally. I then made a
linux-yocto_3.4.bbappend which contains the following:

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_pandaboard = "pandaboard"

SRCREV_machine_pandaboard ?= "7eb5fbf903d9db90c3cf371b65e1f2a68d5676d7"

THISDIR := "${@os.path.dirname(bb.data.getVar('FILE', d, True))}"
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}-3.4"

SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"

do_configure_prepend() {
        cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${S}/.config
}

Problem I get is, without this configure_prepend, my defconfig is not
copied into .config the kernel folder. With this however, I get a
complaint from the kernel that the kernel directory is not clean and I
have to run make mrproper.

I would greatly appreciate any pointer/help/explanations as to what I
have done wrong here, and how to fix it. Have been struggling for this
for a while now, and have no idea what I have done wrong.

Best regards
Martin Ertsaas

* Re: Building linux-yocto kernel in own bsp layer
@ 2013-07-31  8:57 ` Andrea Adami
From: Andrea Adami @ 2013-07-31  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Ertsaas; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Martin Ertsaas <martiert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm creating my own bsp layer for omap4 chips (Yes, I know of meta-ti,
> but I want to learn how to do this myself :)). I'm trying to use the
> linux-yocto 3.4 kernel,
> and have gotten it to work locally. I then made a
> linux-yocto_3.4.bbappend which contains the following:
>
> COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_pandaboard = "pandaboard"
>
> SRCREV_machine_pandaboard ?= "7eb5fbf903d9db90c3cf371b65e1f2a68d5676d7"
>
> THISDIR := "${@os.path.dirname(bb.data.getVar('FILE', d, True))}"
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}-3.4"

Martin,

the code in kernel.bbclass does already copy defonfig to .config, see
http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/classes/kernel.bbclass#n216

I think your problem is the deconfig is not found,  you miss a colon at the end.
Use something like

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend :=
"${THISDIR}/${PN}-3.4:${THISDIR}/${PN}:${THISDIR}/files:"

Cheers

Andrea

@ 2013-07-31  9:11 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2013-07-31  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Ertsaas; +Cc: yocto

Hi Martin,

On Wednesday 31 July 2013 09:21:12 Martin Ertsaas wrote:
> THISDIR := "${@os.path.dirname(bb.data.getVar('FILE', d, True))}"

You should not set THISDIR, it's already set automatically.

> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}-3.4"

You should have a colon at the end of that value.

I'm not sure if this will fix your problem, though.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Building linux-yocto kernel in own bsp layer
@ 2013-07-31 10:57   ` Martin Ertsaas
From: Martin Ertsaas @ 2013-07-31 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Adami; +Cc: yocto

On 07/31/13 10:57, Andrea Adami wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Martin Ertsaas <martiert@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I'm creating my own bsp layer for omap4 chips (Yes, I know of meta-ti,
>> but I want to learn how to do this myself :)). I'm trying to use the
>> linux-yocto 3.4 kernel,
>> and have gotten it to work locally. I then made a
>> linux-yocto_3.4.bbappend which contains the following:
>>
>> COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_pandaboard = "pandaboard"
>>
>> SRCREV_machine_pandaboard ?= "7eb5fbf903d9db90c3cf371b65e1f2a68d5676d7"
>>
>> THISDIR := "${@os.path.dirname(bb.data.getVar('FILE', d, True))}"
>> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}-3.4"

The defconfig is found. I can see a defconfig in ${WORKDIR} with zero
diff to my defconfig. It is, however, not copied from there into
${WORKDIR}/linux.

I changed it so it uses the colon though, and removed THISDIR as
suggested by Paul, but didn't help. I still don't get the config copied
in, and if I add the do_configure_prepend myself to do this, I get a
message from the kernel building saying my folder is unclean.

- Martin

@ 2013-07-31 12:42     ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-07-31 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Ertsaas; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Martin Ertsaas <martiert@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/31/13 10:57, Andrea Adami wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Martin Ertsaas <martiert@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I'm creating my own bsp layer for omap4 chips (Yes, I know of meta-ti,
>>> but I want to learn how to do this myself :)). I'm trying to use the
>>> linux-yocto 3.4 kernel,
>>> and have gotten it to work locally. I then made a
>>> linux-yocto_3.4.bbappend which contains the following:
>>>
>>> COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_pandaboard = "pandaboard"
>>>
>>> SRCREV_machine_pandaboard ?= "7eb5fbf903d9db90c3cf371b65e1f2a68d5676d7"
>>>
>>> THISDIR := "${@os.path.dirname(bb.data.getVar('FILE', d, True))}"
>>> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}-3.4"
>
> The defconfig is found. I can see a defconfig in ${WORKDIR} with zero
> diff to my defconfig. It is, however, not copied from there into
> ${WORKDIR}/linux.

If you are looking in ${WORKDIR}/linux, you'll never see the defconfig. Even
in the base kernel class it is copied to the build directory, which is
linux-$MACHINE-build.

Even after the copy, it is pulled into a secondary set of
configuration steps that
allow configuration fragments to be processed and layered on top of
that baseline
configuration.

Are you determining that it isn't being used by the existence or non
existence of a
file, or are you seeing other issues with the resulting .config ?

Technically you don't even need a defconfig, you can just use a .cfg
with h/w options
for the board, but that's a different topic.

Cheers,

Bruce

> I changed it so it uses the colon though, and removed THISDIR as
> suggested by Paul, but didn't help. I still don't get the config copied
> in, and if I add the do_configure_prepend myself to do this, I get a
> message from the kernel building saying my folder is unclean.
>
> - Martin
>
>> Martin,
>>
>> the code in kernel.bbclass does already copy defonfig to .config, see
>> http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/classes/kernel.bbclass#n216
>>
>> I think your problem is the deconfig is not found,  you miss a colon at the end.
>> Use something like
>>
>> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend :=
>> "${THISDIR}/${PN}-3.4:${THISDIR}/${PN}:${THISDIR}/files:"
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Andrea
>>

>>> SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"
>>>
>>> do_configure_prepend() {
>>>         cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${S}/.config
>>> }
>>>
>>> Problem I get is, without this configure_prepend, my defconfig is not
>>> copied into .config the kernel folder. With this however, I get a
>>> complaint from the kernel that the kernel directory is not clean and I
>>> have to run make mrproper.
>>>
>>> I would greatly appreciate any pointer/help/explanations as to what I
>>> have done wrong here, and how to fix it. Have been struggling for this
>>> for a while now, and have no idea what I have done wrong.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Martin Ertsaas

thee at its end"

* Re: Building linux-yocto kernel in own bsp layer
@ 2013-08-04 21:23       ` martiert
From: martiert @ 2013-08-04 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto

On 31. juli 2013, at 14:42, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Martin Ertsaas <martiert@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The defconfig is found. I can see a defconfig in ${WORKDIR} with zero
>> diff to my defconfig. It is, however, not copied from there into
>> ${WORKDIR}/linux.
>
> If you are looking in ${WORKDIR}/linux, you'll never see the defconfig. Even
> in the base kernel class it is copied to the build directory, which is
> linux-$MACHINE-build.
>
> Even after the copy, it is pulled into a secondary set of
> configuration steps that
> allow configuration fragments to be processed and layered on top of
> that baseline
> configuration.
>
> Are you determining that it isn't being used by the existence or non
> existence of a
> file, or are you seeing other issues with the resulting .config ?

What I see is that I have a ${WORKDIR}/defconfig. The .config in linux-${MACHINE}-build is for a different architecture (x86) than my defconfig, the same holds for the .config.old in the same place. Tried adding B=${WORKDIR}/linux-${MACHINE}-build to my append, but no difference.

@ 2013-08-05  3:03         ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-08-05  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martiert; +Cc: yocto

On 13-08-04 5:23 PM, martiert@gmail.com wrote:

> On 31. juli 2013, at 14:42, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The defconfig is found. I can see a defconfig in ${WORKDIR} with zero
>>> diff to my defconfig. It is, however, not copied from there into
>>> ${WORKDIR}/linux.
>>
>> If you are looking in ${WORKDIR}/linux, you'll never see the defconfig. Even
>> in the base kernel class it is copied to the build directory, which is
>> linux-$MACHINE-build.
>>
>> Even after the copy, it is pulled into a secondary set of
>> configuration steps that
>> allow configuration fragments to be processed and layered on top of
>> that baseline
>> configuration.
>>
>> Are you determining that it isn't being used by the existence or non
>> existence of a
>> file, or are you seeing other issues with the resulting .config ?
>
> What I see is that I have a ${WORKDIR}/defconfig. The .config in linux-${MACHINE}-build is for a different architecture (x86) than my defconfig, the same holds for the .config.old in the same place. Tried adding B=${WORKDIR}/linux-${MACHINE}-build to my append, but no difference.

Can you make your BSP layer available to me ? I need to see this
happening on my machines, since all my tests worked here :(

B=${WORKDIR}/linux-${MACHINE}-build would already be set by the
base classes, so I wouldn't have expected it to make much of a
difference.

Bruce

@ 2013-08-05  6:25           ` Martin Ertsaas
From: Martin Ertsaas @ 2013-08-05  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto

Sure. The BSP layer in question can be cloned from:
git@github.com:martiert/meta-omap.git

@ 2013-08-07 16:31           ` martiert
From: martiert @ 2013-08-07 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto

Bruce, have you had the opportunity to look at this yet?

- Martin

@ 2013-08-07 17:23             ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-08-07 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martiert; +Cc: yocto

On 13-08-07 12:31 PM, martiert@gmail.com wrote:
> Bruce, have you had the opportunity to look at this yet?

I was about to email on this. I was out of the office last week, but
was just starting on this last night.

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-08-08  6:04               ` Martin Ertsaas
From: Martin Ertsaas @ 2013-08-08  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto

On 08/07/13 19:23, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 13-08-07 12:31 PM, martiert@gmail.com wrote:
>> Bruce, have you had the opportunity to look at this yet?
>>

> I was about to email on this. I was out of the office last week, but
> was just starting on this last night.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruce

Great. Thanks for the help btw. It is greatly appreciated. I'm kind of
stuck on what I have done wrong on this one.

- Martin

* Re: Building linux-yocto kernel in own bsp layer
@ 2013-08-08 12:38                 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-08-08 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Ertsaas; +Cc: yocto

On 13-08-08 02:04 AM, Martin Ertsaas wrote:
> On 08/07/13 19:23, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On 13-08-07 12:31 PM, martiert@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Bruce, have you had the opportunity to look at this yet?
>>>

>> I was about to email on this. I was out of the office last week, but
>> was just starting on this last night.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bruce
>>
> Great. Thanks for the help btw. It is greatly appreciated. I'm kind of
> stuck on what I have done wrong on this one.

Understood. I'm bumping this up to my list and have started a test build.

Bruce

@ 2013-08-11  5:12                   ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-08-11  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Ertsaas; +Cc: yocto

On 13-08-08 8:38 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 13-08-08 02:04 AM, Martin Ertsaas wrote:
>>>>

>>> I was about to email on this. I was out of the office last week, but
>>> was just starting on this last night.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>
>> Great. Thanks for the help btw. It is greatly appreciated. I'm kind of
>> stuck on what I have done wrong on this one.
>
> Understood. I'm bumping this up to my list and have started a test build.

I've sorted this out. You didn't do anything wrong, outside of not
defining a BSP description for the board you are building.

I've had a patch queued for 1.5 that would have detected this mismatch
and adapted, but that change is held up on the 3.10 kernel and some
other changes .. but I digress.

This also should have been in the docs, since it is what the yocto-bsp
tool generates for new BSPs. But it's probably not obvious enough, and
with my pending patches, that should be ok .. but I digress again.

What basically happened is that the atom-pc BSP description was picked
to match your pandaboard build. That's why you see the different
architecture
and what looks like an ignored defconfig. The tools will shortly
generate you a skeleton config, but for now, you need to define your
own that will be found and used.

I've attached a patch that does just that, and when I configured,
everything was applied properly.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Bruce
>

>> - Martin

[-- Attachment #2: 0001-pandaboard-add-BSP-description.patch --]
[-- Type: application/mbox, Size: 1514 bytes --]

* Re: Building linux-yocto kernel in own bsp layer
@ 2013-08-11  6:30                     ` martiert
From: martiert @ 2013-08-11  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto

Cool. Thank you so much for the help. Looking forward to getting home tomorrow and testing it out. Can't help but love this community and the help one gets here.

- Martin

@ 2013-08-11  6:51                     ` martiert
From: martiert @ 2013-08-11  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto

Btw. Is this yocto-kernel specifics, or is it relatively new in oe? I worked quite a bit in oe about a year ago, and we never used such a file then. But this was not a derivative of yocto-kernel.

@ 2013-08-11 14:16                       ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-08-11 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Ertsås; +Cc: yocto

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:51 AM,  <martiert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Btw. Is this yocto-kernel specifics, or is it relatively new in oe? I worked quite a bit in oe about a year ago, and we never used such a file then. But this was not a derivative of yocto-kernel.

It's been around since yocto 0.9, in one form or another, with tweaks
to make things
more "under the covers" as time progresses. It is inherent to kernel's
that inherit
kernel-yocto, which adds functionality around config fragments and
patch management,
etc. If I my latest rounds of tweaks would have been complete, it
would have been
nicely hidden here as well :) It wouldn't hurt other kernels, it would
just be ignored.

Bruce

> On 11. aug. 2013, at 07:12, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@windriver.com> wrote:

>>> Understood. I'm bumping this up to my list and have started a test build.
>>
>> I've sorted this out. You didn't do anything wrong, outside of not
>> defining a BSP description for the board you are building.
>>
>> I've had a patch queued for 1.5 that would have detected this mismatch
>> and adapted, but that change is held up on the 3.10 kernel and some
>> other changes .. but I digress.
>>
>> This also should have been in the docs, since it is what the yocto-bsp
>> tool generates for new BSPs. But it's probably not obvious enough, and
>> with my pending patches, that should be ok .. but I digress again.
>>
>> What basically happened is that the atom-pc BSP description was picked
>> to match your pandaboard build. That's why you see the different architecture
>> and what looks like an ignored defconfig. The tools will shortly
>> generate you a skeleton config, but for now, you need to define your
>> own that will be found and used.
>>
>> I've attached a patch that does just that, and when I configured,
>> everything was applied properly.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bruce
>>

>>> Bruce