* Variable tracking...
@ 2013-01-09 18:27 Peter Seebach
From: Peter Seebach @ 2013-01-09 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bitbake-devel

So, I sent some variable-tracking patches a while back that had been
cleaned up in response to various feedback. And I don't think I heard
back anything about problems with them, but I don't think I heard
anything positive.

Is anyone still interested in the variable-assignment-tracking stuff,
other than me? I maintain that it is REALLY useful when trying to track
down variables getting the wrong values.

-s
--
Listen, get this.  Nobody with a good compiler needs to be justified.

* Re: Variable tracking...
@ 2013-01-09 20:35 ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2013-01-09 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Seebach; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:27:57PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> So, I sent some variable-tracking patches a while back that had been
> cleaned up in response to various feedback. And I don't think I heard
> back anything about problems with them, but I don't think I heard
> anything positive.
>
> Is anyone still interested in the variable-assignment-tracking stuff,
> other than me? I maintain that it is REALLY useful when trying to track
> down variables getting the wrong values.

I didn't look at the implementation, but I also find this feature very
usefull.

Cheers,

--
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

* Re: Variable tracking...
@ 2013-01-09 21:30   ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2013-01-09 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: bitbake-devel

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:27:57PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> > So, I sent some variable-tracking patches a while back that had been
> > cleaned up in response to various feedback. And I don't think I heard
> > back anything about problems with them, but I don't think I heard
> > anything positive.
> >
> > Is anyone still interested in the variable-assignment-tracking stuff,
> > other than me? I maintain that it is REALLY useful when trying to track
> > down variables getting the wrong values.
>
> I didn't look at the implementation, but I also find this feature very
> usefull.

More than once over the past few weeks it would have been handy for me, and
more than once it would have helped others asking me questions find the
answers themselves, so I'd definitely like to see it go in. I'm not 100%
happy with how it's implemented, but I honestly can't think of any other
way to make it happen without major refactoring of bitbake, so I personally
think it should go in as is, and potentially revisit things in the future.
--
Christopher Larson

* Re: Variable tracking...
@ 2013-01-10  8:27 ` Voicu, Cristiana
From: Voicu, Cristiana @ 2013-01-10  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Seebach, bitbake-devel

Hello,

I was looking on those patches, because I really needed them to assure consistency between hob and bitbake settings.
I know RP was looking on them, because he recommended those to me. This functionality is very useful and I think it will be merged.

Thank you,
Cristiana