* RE: ACPICA 20031002 released
@ 2003-10-10 17:01 Brown, Len
From: Brown, Len @ 2003-10-10 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Yes, this was stray copy paste error from the ACPICA release notes.
(it isn't included in the check-in comments).

I'd like to have a scheme set up to automatically track the size of
the ACPI code as built with gcc in Linux...

-Len

@ 2003-10-07 15:49 Brown, Len
From: Brown, Len @ 2003-10-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Henschel; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

[added acpi-devel to cc: ]

> > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/patches/test/
>
> there seems to be no directory for 2.4.23(-preX). is this intended?

Yes, this is on purpose.

I could create one if there is a need, but as 2.4.22 and 2.4.23 haven't
diverged, the individual patches for 2.4.22 should apply cleanly to
2.4.23, particularly the ACPICA patch which actually applies cleanly up
through 2.6.0.

Note that all three release trees acpi/patches/release/* get plain
patches on every push to the baseline kernels -- though the release
patches are aggregates rather than individual csets.

BTW. The reason the 2.4.23 test tree doesn't get individual patches
automatically is because I generate the individual patches when I bk
commit the csets, which I do in 2.4.22 and not in 2.4.23.  I bk pull the
csets forward into 2.4.23 from 2.4.22 rather than repeating the commit.
This way somebody based on 2.4.22 (eg. an OSD) can pull from our 2.4.22
tree and get the latest ACPI code w/o all the other 2.4.23 stuff they
might not be ready for.

Thanks,
-Len

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: ACPICA 20031002 released
       [not found] ` <1065475231.2511.33.camel-D2Zvc0uNKG8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-10-07 10:56   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-10-07 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Brown; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi!

> Code and Data Size: Current and previous core subsystem library sizes
> are shown below.  These are the code and data sizes for the acpica.lib

They are not :-(.

> produced by the Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 compiler, and these values do
> not include any ACPI driver or OSPM code.  The debug version of the code
> includes the debug output trace mechanism and has a much larger code and
> data size.  Note that these values will vary depending on the efficiency
> of the compiler and the compiler options used during generation.

				Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

* ACPICA 20031002 released
@ 2003-10-06 21:20 Len Brown
       [not found] ` <1065475231.2511.33.camel-D2Zvc0uNKG8@public.gmane.org>
From: Len Brown @ 2003-10-06 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

ACPICA 20031002 has been integrated with others in the ACPI patch,
and is available for test now in these bitkeeper trees:

http://linux-acpi.bkbits.net/linux-acpi-test-2.4.22
http://linux-acpi.bkbits.net/linux-acpi-test-2.4.23
http://linux-acpi.bkbits.net/linux-acpi-test-2.6.0

It is also available as a plain patch "*-ACPICA_20031002.patch" here:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/patches/test/

----------

02 October 2003.  Summary of changes for version 20031002:

1) ACPI CA Core Subsystem:

Fixed a problem with Index Fields where the index was not incremented
for fields that require multiple writes to the index/data registers
(Fields that are wider than the data register.)

Fixed a problem with all Field objects where a write could go beyond the
end-of-field if the field was larger than the access granularity and
therefore required multiple writes to complete the request.  An extra
write beyond the end of the field could happen inadvertently.

Fixed a problem with Index Fields where a BUFFER_OVERFLOW error would
incorrectly be returned if the width of the Data Register was larger
than the specified field access width.

Completed fixes for LoadTable() and Unload() and verified their
operation.  Implemented full support for the "DdbHandle" object
throughout the ACPI CA subsystem.

Implemented full support for the MADT and ECDT tables in the ACPI CA
header files.  Even though these tables are not directly consumed by
ACPI CA, the header definitions are useful for ACPI device drivers.

Integrated resource descriptor fixes posted to the Linux ACPI list.
This included checks for minimum descriptor length, and support for
trailing NULL strings within descriptors that have optional string
elements.

Fixed a problem where the SMI_CMD register could be written even if it
was not supported on the platform (when FADT.SMI_CMD is zero)