* RE: [ACPI-bugzilla] Failed compile RH 9.0 kernel with apci patch applied
@ 2003-10-22 17:20 Brown, Len
       [not found] ` <BF1FE1855350A0479097B3A0D2A80EE0CC87C5-N2PTB0HCzHJF3Yvz3xaN/VDQ4js95KgL@public.gmane.org>
From: Brown, Len @ 2003-10-22 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederic Dernbach; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

The ACPI patches are against the baseline kernel.
If they applies to a distro (Red Hat) kernel, then that is mostly luck.

But even if they did, you probably would not want to run that one because
20021212 is over 10 months old.

[Indeed, your note tells me that I should delete the old files
 On sourceforge so that nobody else makes the same mistake.]

The oldest baseline kernel we maintain a current ACPI patch against is 2.4.22

Get your 2.4.22 baseline kernel source here:
http://kernel.org/

And get your ACPI patch against it here:
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/patches/release/2.4.22/

Other alternatives include replacing RH9 with a pre-release of Red Hat Fedora Core 1, which includes pretty recent ACPI code.  http://fedora.redhat.com/  or run SuSE Linux 9.0, which is shipping with very recent ACPI code. Etc.

Cheers,
-Len

Here's your chance to show off your extensive product knowledge
We want to know what you know. Tell us and you have a chance to win $100
http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?HRPT1X3RYQNC5V4MLNSV3E54

* Re: Failed compile kernel with apci patch applied
       [not found] ` <BF1FE1855350A0479097B3A0D2A80EE0CC87C5-N2PTB0HCzHJF3Yvz3xaN/VDQ4js95KgL@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-10-23 11:18   ` Frederic Dernbach
       [not found]     ` <1066907937.1880.11.camel-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
From: Frederic Dernbach @ 2003-10-23 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Len,

I followed the steps you recommended.

I restarted the whole process from scratch. I installed the 2.4.22
baseline kernel source files as well as the 2.4.22 acpi patch
(acpi-20031002-2.4.22.diff.gz).

"make bzImage" went fine. "make modules" went fine I presume (I did not
spot any error in the std output or std error that I kept).

However "make modules_install" terminated with :
depmod:*** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.22-22-acpi/kernel/crypto/autoload.o
depmod:		crypto_alg_lookup
depmod:*** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.22-22-acpi/kernel/crypto/proc.o
depmod:		crypto_alg_sem
depmod:		crypto_alg_list

Is there anythting wrong that I dod ? Can I continue installing the
newly compiles kernel ? (I'm a newbee with linux kernel).

For your information that my .config file include the option
"Cryptographic API" in the "Cyptographic" options of the kernel config
menu (I use "make menuconfig"). It is checked. Maybe it has something to
do with.

Fred

Le mer 22/10/2003 à 19:20, Brown, Len a écrit :
> The ACPI patches are against the baseline kernel.
> If they applies to a distro (Red Hat) kernel, then that is mostly luck.
>
> But even if they did, you probably would not want to run that one because
> 20021212 is over 10 months old.
>
> [Indeed, your note tells me that I should delete the old files
>  On sourceforge so that nobody else makes the same mistake.]
>
> The oldest baseline kernel we maintain a current ACPI patch against is 2.4.22
>
> Get your 2.4.22 baseline kernel source here:
> http://kernel.org/
>
> And get your ACPI patch against it here:
> http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/patches/release/2.4.22/
>
> Other alternatives include replacing RH9 with a pre-release of Red Hat Fedora Core 1, which includes pretty recent ACPI code.  http://fedora.redhat.com/  or run SuSE Linux 9.0, which is shipping with very recent ACPI code. Etc.
>
> Cheers,
> -Len

Do you like what SourceForge.net is doing for the Open
Source Community?  Make a contribution, and help us add new
features and functionality. Click here: http://sourceforge.net/donate/

@ 2003-10-27 13:19       ` Sebastian Henschel
From: Sebastian Henschel @ 2003-10-27 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)