* Is fscrypt encryption FIPS compliant?
@ 2021-05-27 20:08 Jerry Chung
From: Jerry Chung @ 2021-05-27 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fscrypt

Hi Team,

I am considering to use `fscrypt` to encrypt directory files and just wondered if fscrypt encryption is complaint with FIPS. If so, would it be possible to get the CMVP number for that? If not, is there any plan to get the certification?

Thanks,
Jerry Chung

* Re: Is fscrypt encryption FIPS compliant?
@ 2021-05-28  0:12 ` Eric Biggers
From: Eric Biggers @ 2021-05-28  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerry Chung; +Cc: linux-fscrypt

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 08:08:20PM +0000, Jerry Chung wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am considering to use `fscrypt` to encrypt directory files and just wondered if fscrypt encryption is complaint with FIPS. If so, would it be possible to get the CMVP number for that? If not, is there any plan to get the certification?
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry Chung

No, there is no plan to certify fscrypt (kernel part or userspace part) as a
FIPS cryptographic module.

- Eric

* RE: Is fscrypt encryption FIPS compliant?
@ 2021-05-28 13:54   ` Jerry Chung
From: Jerry Chung @ 2021-05-28 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Biggers; +Cc: linux-fscrypt

Thanks for the information.

jerry

@ 2021-05-28 16:26     ` Jerry Chung
From: Jerry Chung @ 2021-05-28 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Biggers; +Cc: linux-fscrypt

Hi Eric,

Does fscrypt (kernel part and userspace part) implement any encryptions by itself? Or is it relying on the kernel crypto API?

Thanks,
jerry

@ 2021-05-29  1:25       ` Eric Biggers
From: Eric Biggers @ 2021-05-29  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerry Chung; +Cc: linux-fscrypt

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 04:26:56PM +0000, Jerry Chung wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Does fscrypt (kernel part and userspace part) implement any encryptions by
> itself? Or is it relying on the kernel crypto API?
>
> Thanks,
> jerry

In the kernel part, currently the encryption algorithms are accessed through the
kernel crypto API and/or through blk-crypto (the kernel's interface to inline
encryption hardware).  The hash algorithms SHA-256 and SipHash are accessed
through their library interface.  The key derivation algorithm HKDF is
implemented in fs/crypto/ on top of HMAC-SHA512 from the kernel crypto API.

The userspace tool https://github.com/google/fscrypt (note, this isn't the only
userspace tool that can use the kernel part) uses cryptographic algorithms from
third-party Go packages, which get built into the resulting binary.  See the
source code for details.

Note that these are all implementation details, which may differ in past and
future versions of the software, both kernel and userspace.

- Eric

* RE: Is fscrypt encryption FIPS compliant?
@ 2021-05-31 14:30         ` Jerry Chung
From: Jerry Chung @ 2021-05-31 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Biggers; +Cc: linux-fscrypt

Thanks a lot for the detail explanation, Eric.

jerry

The userspace tool https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/google/fscrypt__;!!ORgEfCBsr282Fw!57nse74kKZWgPBVTybhzV_-lLBRUeyq3AyR5Ixx2_qIuPXL2aWTxpZBkKmj0Ze2kIQ$  (note, this isn't the only userspace tool that can use the kernel part) uses cryptographic algorithms from third-party Go packages, which get built into the resulting binary.  See the source code for details.