* Linux Container and Tapdev
       [not found] <mailman.6093.1325902643.12970.xen-devel@lists.xensource.com>
@ 2012-01-07  4:17 ` MaoXiaoyun
From: MaoXiaoyun @ 2012-01-07  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen devel

Hi:

      Recently I have some study on linux container(lxc), which is a light weight OS level
virtualization.

     With the previous knowledge of tapdisk, I have an assumption that, I may could
use the vhd for each container to seperate the storage of all containers, or even in
later days, vhd is stored in distributed storage, container could be migrated.

      Build filesystem on tapdev and mount it under some directory, put the rootfs of
container into that dir, and start the lxc, I haven't try this, will try later.

     I post my idea here, hope someone has one forsee comments.

     Thanks.

* Re: Linux Container and Tapdev
@ 2012-01-09 16:09   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2012-01-09 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MaoXiaoyun; +Cc: xen devel

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 12:17:23PM +0800, MaoXiaoyun wrote:

> Hi:
>
>       Recently I have some study on linux container(lxc), which is a light weight OS level
> virtualization.
>
>      With the previous knowledge of tapdisk, I have an assumption that, I may could
> use the vhd for each container to seperate the storage of all containers, or even in
> later days, vhd is stored in distributed storage, container could be migrated.
>
>       Build filesystem on tapdev and mount it under some directory, put the rootfs of

How would you "mount" a tapdev filesystem?

But more interestingly, how would you migrate your tap disk? Is it on NFS or OCFS2
or iSCSI? If so, why not just expand the filesystem on an iSCSI disk and mount it
on other machines and "migrate it".

> container into that dir, and start the lxc, I haven't try this, will try later.

I am not really sure how one would freeze and migrate the processes? Does the
cgroups have that functionality?

@ 2012-01-09 23:12     ` hotmaim
From: hotmaim @ 2012-01-09 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: xen devel

在 2012-1-10,0:09,Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@oracle.com>

> On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 12:17:23PM +0800, MaoXiaoyun wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>>      Recently I have some study on linux container(lxc), which is a light weight OS level
>> virtualization.
>>
>>     With the previous knowledge of tapdisk, I have an assumption that, I may could
>> use the vhd for each container to seperate the storage of all containers, or even in
>> later days, vhd is stored in distributed storage, container could be migrated.
>>
>>      Build filesystem on tapdev and mount it under some directory, put the rootfs of
>
> How would you "mount" a tapdev filesystem?

When a tapdisk starts,there is a tapdev device under /dev/tapdevX, X is sth like a,b,c,...
. Mkfs.ext3 on this device and mount it to /mnt/tapdevX, finally bind mount to LXC .

> But more interestingly, how would you migrate your tap disk? Is it on NFS or OCFS2
> or iSCSI? If so, why not just expand the filesystem on an iSCSI disk and mount it
> on other machines and "migrate it".

We have hadoop for the storage, VHD in HDFS is logical, which can,t directly mounted.

>> container into that dir, and start the lxc, I haven't try this, will try later.
>
> I am not really sure how one would freeze and migrate the processes? Does the
> cgroups have that functionality?

Close local tapdisk, start it on remote host, reopen the VHD on HDFS.
lxc supports supports freeze the processes in container, i,m not sure, wehther live migrate could be implemented in future.

Thanks.