* grub2 and touch screen
@ 2015-06-24 12:06 Theodore Christophe
From: Theodore Christophe @ 2015-06-24 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

hello all,

First of all, thank-you for your works.

I have installed Fedora21 on my laptop (Medion all in one) with dual
boot, and every-thing is working fine.
Grub2 give me the choice between win8.1 and FC21, and other rescue.

BUT when I use my laptop as touch pad (by removing the screen), with no
keyboard, I could not select the boot I want to use. Fedora is the
default and the touch screen is working fine after.

Do you think that grub can manage the touch screen (something like two
button win81 and FC21) ?

Thank you for your attention,
Christophe

* Re: grub2 and touch screen
@ 2015-06-24 18:15 ` Michael Zimmermann
From: Michael Zimmermann @ 2015-06-24 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

doesn't your device have any buttons(volume?) without the keyboad?
That would be way easier then adding touchscreen support especially if UEFI
doesn't provide a API for that(which I guess it doesn't).

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Theodore Christophe <
mission_theodore@hotmail.com> wrote:

> hello all,
>
> First of all, thank-you for your works.
>
> I have installed Fedora21 on my laptop (Medion all in one) with dual boot,
> and every-thing is working fine.
> Grub2 give me the choice between win8.1 and FC21, and other rescue.
>
> BUT when I use my laptop as touch pad (by removing the screen), with no
> keyboard, I could not select the boot I want to use. Fedora is the default
> and the touch screen is working fine after.
>
> Do you think that grub can manage the touch screen (something like two
> button win81 and FC21) ?
>
> Thank you for your attention,
> Christophe

* Re: grub2 and touch screen
@ 2015-06-26  8:14 ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2015-06-26  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Christophe; +Cc: grub-devel

В Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:06:42 +0200
Theodore Christophe <mission_theodore@hotmail.com> пишет:

> hello all,
>
> First of all, thank-you for your works.
>
> I have installed Fedora21 on my laptop (Medion all in one) with dual
> boot, and every-thing is working fine.
> Grub2 give me the choice between win8.1 and FC21, and other rescue.
>
> BUT when I use my laptop as touch pad (by removing the screen), with no
> keyboard, I could not select the boot I want to use. Fedora is the
> default and the touch screen is working fine after.
>
> Do you think that grub can manage the touch screen (something like two
> button win81 and FC21) ?

Somebody would need to write driver for it (assuming it is technically
possible in firmware at all). I think I have seen reports that using
hardware buttons worked for selecting menu entries, but it may be
hardware dependent.

As Michael, I think adding support for hardware buttons looks more
promising.

* Re: grub2 and touch screen
@ 2015-06-26  8:27   ` Fajar A. Nugraha
From: Fajar A. Nugraha @ 2015-06-26  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB; +Cc: Theodore Christophe

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com> wrote:
> В Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:06:42 +0200
> Theodore Christophe <mission_theodore@hotmail.com> пишет:
>
>> hello all,
>>
>> First of all, thank-you for your works.
>>
>> I have installed Fedora21 on my laptop (Medion all in one) with dual
>> boot, and every-thing is working fine.
>> Grub2 give me the choice between win8.1 and FC21, and other rescue.
>>
>> BUT when I use my laptop as touch pad (by removing the screen), with no
>> keyboard, I could not select the boot I want to use. Fedora is the
>> default and the touch screen is working fine after.
>>
>> Do you think that grub can manage the touch screen (something like two
>> button win81 and FC21) ?
>>

> Somebody would need to write driver for it (assuming it is technically
> possible in firmware at all). I think I have seen reports that using
> hardware buttons worked for selecting menu entries, but it may be
> hardware dependent.
>
> As Michael, I think adding support for hardware buttons looks more
> promising.

How does grub currently support the hardware buttons?

On Asus T300 Chi, the EFI boot menu reads volume + and - buttons as up
and down, while windows button function as "enter". However grub reads
volume + as "enter" as well, so I only have volume - (down) for moving
between menu entries.

--
Fajar

* Re: grub2 and touch screen
@ 2015-06-26  8:36     ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2015-06-26  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fajar A. Nugraha; +Cc: The development of GNU GRUB, Theodore Christophe

В Fri, 26 Jun 2015 15:27:35 +0700
"Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@fajar.net> пишет:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > В Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:06:42 +0200
> > Theodore Christophe <mission_theodore@hotmail.com> пишет:
> >
> >> hello all,
> >>
> >> First of all, thank-you for your works.
> >>
> >> I have installed Fedora21 on my laptop (Medion all in one) with dual
> >> boot, and every-thing is working fine.
> >> Grub2 give me the choice between win8.1 and FC21, and other rescue.
> >>
> >> BUT when I use my laptop as touch pad (by removing the screen), with no
> >> keyboard, I could not select the boot I want to use. Fedora is the
> >> default and the touch screen is working fine after.
> >>
> >> Do you think that grub can manage the touch screen (something like two
> >> button win81 and FC21) ?
> >>

> > Somebody would need to write driver for it (assuming it is technically
> > possible in firmware at all). I think I have seen reports that using
> > hardware buttons worked for selecting menu entries, but it may be
> > hardware dependent.
> >
> > As Michael, I think adding support for hardware buttons looks more
> > promising.
>

> How does grub currently support the hardware buttons?

It does not, in the sense there is no explicit code to do it I'm aware
of. It just relies on EFI to return character (key stroke).

> On Asus T300 Chi, the EFI boot menu reads volume + and - buttons as up
> and down, while windows button function as "enter". However grub reads
> volume + as "enter" as well, so I only have volume - (down) for moving
> between menu entries.

To debug it access to hardware is needed, which is why it is quite hard
to fix such things. If you are willing to debug it, file bug report on
savannah, we'll need to dump read keystroke information to find out
what you hardware returns. I do not see anything in grub code that
would account for it at the first glance.

* Re: grub2 and touch screen
@ 2015-06-26  8:38   ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2015-06-26  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Zimmermann; +Cc: The development of GNU GRUB

В Wed, 24 Jun 2015 20:15:23 +0200
Michael Zimmermann <sigmaepsilon92@gmail.com> пишет:

> doesn't your device have any buttons(volume?) without the keyboad?
> That would be way easier then adding touchscreen support especially if UEFI
> doesn't provide a API for that(which I guess it doesn't).

Actually UEFI defines both relative and absolute pointer protocols.
Writing driver for it would be interesting project (not sure of GSoC is
still relevant, related pages on grub web site were not updated for
years; I also do not know who is responsible for content).

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Theodore Christophe <
> mission_theodore@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > hello all,
> >
> > First of all, thank-you for your works.
> >
> > I have installed Fedora21 on my laptop (Medion all in one) with dual boot,
> > and every-thing is working fine.
> > Grub2 give me the choice between win8.1 and FC21, and other rescue.
> >
> > BUT when I use my laptop as touch pad (by removing the screen), with no
> > keyboard, I could not select the boot I want to use. Fedora is the default
> > and the touch screen is working fine after.
> >
> > Do you think that grub can manage the touch screen (something like two
> > button win81 and FC21) ?
> >
> > Thank you for your attention,
> > Christophe

* Re: grub2 and touch screen
@ 2015-06-27 12:26     ` Michael Zimmermann
From: Michael Zimmermann @ 2015-06-27 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Borzenkov, The development of GNU GRUB

if this is the case it should actually by kinda easy.
You may want to take a look at this project to get an idea of how to
implement the UI part of this:
https://bitbucket.org/byteit101/grub-mouse.git

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com>
wrote:

> В Wed, 24 Jun 2015 20:15:23 +0200
> Michael Zimmermann <sigmaepsilon92@gmail.com> пишет:
>
> > doesn't your device have any buttons(volume?) without the keyboad?
> > That would be way easier then adding touchscreen support especially if
> UEFI
> > doesn't provide a API for that(which I guess it doesn't).
> >

> Actually UEFI defines both relative and absolute pointer protocols.
> Writing driver for it would be interesting project (not sure of GSoC is
> still relevant, related pages on grub web site were not updated for
> years; I also do not know who is responsible for content).
>
> > On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Theodore Christophe <
> > mission_theodore@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > hello all,
> > >
> > > First of all, thank-you for your works.
> > >
> > > I have installed Fedora21 on my laptop (Medion all in one) with dual
> boot,
> > > and every-thing is working fine.
> > > Grub2 give me the choice between win8.1 and FC21, and other rescue.
> > >
> > > BUT when I use my laptop as touch pad (by removing the screen), with no
> > > keyboard, I could not select the boot I want to use. Fedora is the
> default
> > > and the touch screen is working fine after.
> > >
> > > Do you think that grub can manage the touch screen (something like two
> > > button win81 and FC21) ?
> > >
> > > Thank you for your attention,
> > > Christophe

* Re: grub2 and touch screen
@ 2015-06-27 15:36       ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2015-06-27 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Zimmermann; +Cc: The development of GNU GRUB

В Sat, 27 Jun 2015 14:26:24 +0200
Michael Zimmermann <sigmaepsilon92@gmail.com> пишет:

> if this is the case it should actually by kinda easy.
> You may want to take a look at this project to get an idea of how to
> implement the UI part of this:
> https://bitbucket.org/byteit101/grub-mouse.git

It emulates key up/down on mouse movement which does not fit well into
touch screen/tablet design. I'd rather prefer generic framework to
associate screen coordinates with GUI elements and define "click
events", so that both relative and absolute modes could be used.