* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-01-19 12:00 Sunad Bhandary
From: Sunad Bhandary @ 2015-01-19 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Keith,

Currently there are two different variants of the NVMe driver, one with the
multi-queue implementation which is under active development and
the one without it which is the current driver hosted in the NVMe git page.

Going forward will the non-multi queue  driver also be maintained or will it
be done away with completely ?

Regards,
Sunad

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-01-19 14:33 ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2015-01-19 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sunad,

The mainline going forward with kernel 3.19 will be blk-mq, and the
linux-nvme tree will be there as well on the next upstream merge.

I have my own repo for maintaining the bio-based version since a lot of
OS vendors are using older kernels in their minor release cycles. I can
push this out to a public repo on git.infradead.org if there's interest.

Thanks,
Keith

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, Sunad Bhandary wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> Currently there are two different variants of the NVMe driver, one with the
> multi-queue implementation which is under active development and
> the one without it which is the current driver hosted in the NVMe git page.
>
> Going forward will the non-multi queue  driver also be maintained or will it
> be done away with completely ?
>
> Regards,
> Sunad

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-01-20 12:02   ` Sunad Bhandary
From: Sunad Bhandary @ 2015-01-20 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Keith,

Thanks for clarifying the situation.

If suppose the bio-based driver version is pushed out to a public repo, will
it be made  just a source repo or
will it be actively maintained where new patches are acceptable and can be
merged into the repo ?

Thanks and regards,
Sunad

The mainline going forward with kernel 3.19 will be blk-mq, and the
linux-nvme tree will be there as well on the next upstream merge.

I have my own repo for maintaining the bio-based version since a lot of OS
vendors are using older kernels in their minor release cycles. I can push
this out to a public repo on git.infradead.org if there's interest.

Thanks,
Keith

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, Sunad Bhandary wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> Currently there are two different variants of the NVMe driver, one
> with the multi-queue implementation which is under active development
> and the one without it which is the current driver hosted in the NVMe git
page.

> Going forward will the non-multi queue  driver also be maintained or
> will it be done away with completely ?
>
> Regards,
> Sunad

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-01-20 15:46     ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2015-01-20 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay, I added the repo to here:

http://git.infradead.org/users/kbusch/nvme-legacy.git

It's based off linux-stable v3.18.3, plus a merge from linux-nvme for
nvme parts that were not committed upstream by 3.18.

I don't know what kind of activity to expect this will get, but I'll be
happy to merge applicable upstream commits and apply patches for any new
features or bug fixes people want to see in the bio-based nvme driver.

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015, Sunad Bhandary wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> Thanks for clarifying the situation.
>
> If suppose the bio-based driver version is pushed out to a public repo, will
> it be made  just a source repo or
> will it be actively maintained where new patches are acceptable and can be
> merged into the repo ?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Sunad

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-03-10 15:20       ` Sunad Bhandary
From: Sunad Bhandary @ 2015-03-10 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Keith,
Can we initiate some activity on the legacy-nvme maintenance?

Can you commit the async controller probe patch for the legacy driver also?
Or I can do this if you want.
Also, I'll be submitting the legacy-nvme version for a couple of patches
that we already submitted (write_long, split i/o in IOCtl path).

Going forward, how will the legacy-nvme be maintained?
The legacy-nvme was removed in 3.19. So are we going to have some
restrictions on the kernel versions supported by legacy nvme driver

Regards,
Sunad

It's based off linux-stable v3.18.3, plus a merge from linux-nvme for nvme
parts that were not committed upstream by 3.18.

I don't know what kind of activity to expect this will get, but I'll be
happy to merge applicable upstream commits and apply patches for any new
features or bug fixes people want to see in the bio-based nvme driver.

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015, Sunad Bhandary wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> Thanks for clarifying the situation.
>
> If suppose the bio-based driver version is pushed out to a public
> repo, will it be made  just a source repo or will it be actively
> maintained where new patches are acceptable and can be merged into the
> repo ?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Sunad

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-03-10 19:11         ` David Darrington
From: David Darrington @ 2015-03-10 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm interested in this also. I know that the there is a quarterly planning call for the ofed Windows NVMe driver. Would there be any interest in having occasional conference calls to discuss items such as these? I would be glad to setup a call, as long as Keith and/or Mathew agree that it is worthwhile and can attend.

It's based off linux-stable v3.18.3, plus a merge from linux-nvme for nvme parts that were not committed upstream by 3.18.

I don't know what kind of activity to expect this will get, but I'll be happy to merge applicable upstream commits and apply patches for any new features or bug fixes people want to see in the bio-based nvme driver.

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015, Sunad Bhandary wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> Thanks for clarifying the situation.
>
> If suppose the bio-based driver version is pushed out to a public
> repo, will it be made  just a source repo or will it be actively
> maintained where new patches are acceptable and can be merged into the
> repo ?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Sunad

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-03-10 20:01           ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2015-03-10 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm happy to apply requested changes. I can't necessarily guarantee a
particular deadline, though I try to align with interested OS vendors
ahead of their release updates if they're using the older version.

Specifically on async probe and others, I'll get these merged in later
this week.

@ 2015-03-11 18:06             ` Brandon Schulz
From: Brandon Schulz @ 2015-03-11 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any kind of coordination among contributors on backports to legacy-nvme or is it just kind of a free-for-all until someone submits a patch on this list?

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon Schulz
Systems & Software Architect
SSD Device Development
HGST, a Western Digital company
brandon.schulz at hgst.com
o: (507) 322-2257

3605 Hwy 52 N
Rochester, MN 55901
www.hgst.com

@ 2015-03-11 18:40               ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2015-03-11 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015, Brandon Schulz wrote:
> Is there any kind of coordination among contributors on backports to
> legacy-nvme or is it just kind of a free-for-all until someone submits a
> patch on this list?

Coordination is done on the mailing lists, though that probably feels
a bit like a free-for-all.

I originally started the 3.18 fork so I can point distro vendors using
older kernels to a public tree to pull commits ahead of their updates. It
sounds like there is considerable outside interest, so if people are open
to co-maintaining, we can fork this to a github or something like that.

> Thanks,
> Brandon

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-03-11 21:17                 ` Brandon Schulz
From: Brandon Schulz @ 2015-03-11 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, we are interested in co-maintaining...  something like Github would work for us.

Do you want to set something up, or how do you want to proceed?

Thanks,
Brandon

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015, Brandon Schulz wrote:
> Is there any kind of coordination among contributors on backports to
> legacy-nvme or is it just kind of a free-for-all until someone submits
> a patch on this list?

Coordination is done on the mailing lists, though that probably feels a bit like a free-for-all.

I originally started the 3.18 fork so I can point distro vendors using older kernels to a public tree to pull commits ahead of their updates. It sounds like there is considerable outside interest, so if people are open to co-maintaining, we can fork this to a github or something like that.

> Thanks,
> Brandon

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-03-12  2:01                   ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2015-03-12  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015, Brandon Schulz wrote:
> Yes, we are interested in co-maintaining...  something like Github would work for us.
>
> Do you want to set something up, or how do you want to proceed?

Are any of you folks at Linux Vault this week? We can put together an
impromptu BoF and sort this out real quick.

> Thanks,
> Brandon

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-03-12 16:32                     ` Brandon Schulz
From: Brandon Schulz @ 2015-03-12 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry Keith - Dave and I are not at Linux Vault...

Brandon

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015, Brandon Schulz wrote:
> Yes, we are interested in co-maintaining...  something like Github would work for us.
>
> Do you want to set something up, or how do you want to proceed?

Are any of you folks at Linux Vault this week? We can put together an impromptu BoF and sort this out real quick.

> Thanks,
> Brandon

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-03-16 14:52                     ` Brandon Schulz
From: Brandon Schulz @ 2015-03-16 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keith -

Any more thoughts on how we proceed with setting up this co-maintained Github space?

Thanks,
Brandon

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015, Brandon Schulz wrote:
> Yes, we are interested in co-maintaining...  something like Github would work for us.
>
> Do you want to set something up, or how do you want to proceed?

Are any of you folks at Linux Vault this week? We can put together an impromptu BoF and sort this out real quick.

> Thanks,
> Brandon

* NVMe driver status
@ 2015-03-16 17:19                       ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2015-03-16 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you setup a github project, I'll subscribe to it.

I merged all the upstream patches I intended to apply today and pushed to
'for-next' branch in the nvme-legacy git tree. I haven't fully tested yet,
otherwise I'd have just merged to master.

Also merged the lastest stable 3.18.y to master.