* eudev: opkg not automatically upgrading from udev to eudev
@ 2017-05-16 18:01 Bryan Evenson
From: Bryan Evenson @ 2017-05-16 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Openembedded-core

I have an image based on core-image-minimal that uses sysvinit for init and opkg for package management.  I am doing some upgrade testing and I see an issue with eudev.  I am testing upgrading an image that was built under dizzy to my latest image built under morty.  I'm first testing that all the correct packages and new dependencies are correctly being identified for upgrade by running "opkg update; opkg upgrade --download-only" from the command line and comparing what is in the opkg cache directory with what was available.  All packages except eudev and udev-cache are being downloaded for upgrade.

I ran the opkg upgrade again with the -V4 option for additional debug output  Here's what I saw in one section regarding udev:

pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Best installation candidate for udev:
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: apkg=udev nprovides=2.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Adding eudev to providers.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Adding udev to providers.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: eudev arch=armv5e arch_priority=41 version=3.2.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: udev arch=arm926ejste arch_priority=51 version=182.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Candidate: udev 182.
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: 2 matching pkgs for apkg=udev:
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: eudev 3.2 armv5e
pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: udev 182 arm926ejste
opkg_upgrade_pkg: Comparing visible versions of pkg udev:
        182-r9.9 is installed
        182-r9.9 is available
        0 was comparison result
opkg_upgrade_pkg: Package udev (182-r9.9) installed in root is up to date.

I'm assuming the problem is that udev is version 182 and eudev is version 3.2 and that opkg doesn't think udev needs to be upgraded.  Is there an RDEPENDS that needs to be added somewhere so opkg sees that it needs to upgrade udev to eudev?

Thanks,
Bryan

* Re: eudev: opkg not automatically upgrading from udev to eudev
@ 2017-05-17 15:26 ` Bryan Evenson
From: Bryan Evenson @ 2017-05-17 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Evenson, Openembedded-core

All,

I made some changes and now both eudev and udev-cache are being pulled in on upgrade.  However, I'd like a second opinion that what I did was reasonable.

First, I created eudev_%.bbappend in my private layer and added "PE = "1"" to the bbappend.  Since the numbering scheme changed between udev and eudev, I figured this was a reasonable move.  This brought the update udev-cache in for upgrade, but not eudev.  In my private layer, I also have an image version number package.  I added eudev to the RDEPENDS list for this package since my image, which now has linux version 4.4, does depend on eudev.

Does this sound reasonable?  Is there a better way to do the same thing?

Thanks,
Bryan

@ 2017-05-17 16:14   ` Bryan Evenson
From: Bryan Evenson @ 2017-05-17 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Openembedded-core

All,

Things didn't go as well when I did the upgrade.  I attempted the upgrade with "opkg upgrade" (no options) and everything worked until then end.  Then I got a bunch of error messages like the following:

* check_data_file_clashes: Package eudev wants to install file /lib/udev/scsi_id
        But that file is already provided by package  * udev

After the upgrade neither udev nor eudev were installed on my system.  I've solved similar problems in the past by adding RCONFLICTS/RREPLACES listings in the new packages recipe, but since eudev is listed as providing udev I'm not sure what is appropriate here.  Should there be RCONFLICTS/RREPLACES in the eudev recipe, or is there another solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Bryan

@ 2017-05-17 16:18   ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2017-05-17 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Evenson; +Cc: Openembedded-core

Isn't it enough to set RPROVIDES/RCONFLICTS/RREPLACES combo to say that
eudev really replaces old udev even when the package version is lower.

This used to fix such upgrade-path issues before, but I've stopped testing
them long time ago.

@ 2017-05-17 17:24     ` Bryan Evenson
From: Bryan Evenson @ 2017-05-17 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: Openembedded-core

Martin,

Thanks for the pointers.  I think I finally have it working correctly. I added RPROVIDES/RCONFLICTS/RREPLACES in my eudev bbappend to state it replaces udev.  I also needed to set PE = 1 for udev-cache.  Since udev-cache didn’t change the package name, I can’t say it RCONFLICTS/RREPLACES itself.

Thanks,
Bryan

Isn't it enough to set RPROVIDES/RCONFLICTS/RREPLACES combo to say that eudev really replaces old udev even when the package version is lower.

This used to fix such upgrade-path issues before, but I've stopped testing them long time ago.

All,

@ 2017-05-17 17:51       ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2017-05-17 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Evenson; +Cc: Openembedded-core