* strategy of isar-debian bsp for x86-64
@ 2020-05-13 15:56 Meng, Fino
From: Meng, Fino @ 2020-05-13 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai, Jan Kiszka, Gylstorff Quirin
  Cc: Pirou, Florent, Quast, Johannes, Ouillette, Jeremy

Hi Jan & Quirin:

We have studied ISAR & kas-docker in these 2 weeks and mastered basic knowledges,
thanks for the example code gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images;

then we want to make a production BSP for general x86-64 uefi board,  including Xenomai/preempt-rt/vanilla kernel
but currently in repo (gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images), the name of distro & target includes "demo", in kas.yml:
this may confuse our users.

So I would to ask for your suggestion for further strategy:
1) we work together on gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images, or maybe other url, add our recipes ;
2) we create a folk on github.com/intel/new-name-of-the-bsp;
how do u think? Thanks~

BR / Fino (孟祥夫)
Intel – IOTG Developer Enabling

* Re: strategy of isar-debian bsp for x86-64
@ 2020-05-13 16:15 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-05-13 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meng, Fino, xenomai, Gylstorff Quirin
  Cc: Pirou, Florent, Quast, Johannes, Ouillette, Jeremy

Hi Fino,

On 13.05.20 17:56, Meng, Fino wrote:
> Hi Jan & Quirin:
>
> We have studied ISAR & kas-docker in these 2 weeks and mastered basic knowledges,
> thanks for the example code gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images;
>
> then we want to make a production BSP for general x86-64 uefi board,  including Xenomai/preempt-rt/vanilla kernel
> but currently in repo (gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images), the name of distro & target includes "demo", in kas.yml:
> this may confuse our users.
>
> So I would to ask for your suggestion for further strategy:
> 1) we work together on gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images, or maybe other url, add our recipes ;
> 2) we create a folk on github.com/intel/new-name-of-the-bsp;
> how do u think? Thanks~

There is also option 3): You add a layer that reuses xenomai-images
(includes it), adding only deviations from it on top.

I would not recommend to fork, rather to work on 1) or enhance
xenomai-images so that 3) is almost trivial. It also depends on what you
want to customize and how you want to do configuration and release
management of the result. Adding e.g. non-cobalt kernel configurations
to allow testing of the mercury setup of Xenomai or comparing RT
qualities would be of common value.

Jan

* RE: strategy of isar-debian bsp for x86-64
@ 2020-05-14  0:59   ` Meng, Fino
From: Meng, Fino @ 2020-05-14  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai, Gylstorff Quirin
>> We have studied ISAR & kas-docker in these 2 weeks and mastered basic
>> knowledges, thanks for the example code
>> gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images;
>>
>> then we want to make a production BSP for general x86-64 uefi board,
>> including Xenomai/preempt-rt/vanilla kernel but currently in repo (gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images), the name
>of distro & target includes "demo", in kas.yml:
>> this may confuse our users.
>>
>> So I would to ask for your suggestion for further strategy:
>> 1) we work together on gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images, or maybe
>> other url, add our recipes ;
>> 2) we create a folk on github.com/intel/new-name-of-the-bsp;
>> how do u think? Thanks~
>>

>There is also option 3): You add a layer that reuses xenomai-images (includes it), adding only deviations from it on top.
>
>I would not recommend to fork, rather to work on 1) or enhance xenomai-images so that 3) is almost trivial. It also depends
>on what you want to customize and how you want to do configuration and release management of the result. Adding e.g.
>non-cobalt kernel configurations to allow testing of the mercury setup of Xenomai or comparing RT qualities would be of
>common value.
>
>Jan
>
>--
>Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA IOT SES-DE Corporate Competence Center Embedded Linux

Thanks! Yes,  new folk is painful to maintain.
Then I will use xenomai-images as base, put deviations in github.com/intel/meta-xenomai-intel