* RE: FORWARD Chain Question
       [not found] <BOEKIIIKCIBKDMDMHHLLEEHFDFAA.gene@poh.com>
@ 2005-12-12 21:46 ` Gene Dellinger
From: Gene Dellinger @ 2005-12-12 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

To All:
I got some helpful information, thanks to those who responded, I am still a
bit fuzzy though.
A packet coming in ETH0 destined for a system connected to ETH1, will that
packet begin in the PREROUTING
chain on ETH1(sample 1) and then out or go to the FORWARD chain(sample 2)
and then out.

ETH0:PREROUTING---->FORWARD---->POSTROUTING---->OUT
         |	           |            |
       INPUT  	     |         OUTPUT
         |	          \|/	      |
      Local Process    |         Local Process

	   ----<---<-----|

        \|/
ETH1:PREROUTING---->FORWARD---->POSTROUTING---->OUT
         |			            |
       INPUT  		          OUTPUT
         |			            |
      Local Process		   Local Process

sample 1

ETH0:PREROUTING---->FORWARD---->POSTROUTING---->OUT
         |	           |            |
       INPUT  	     |  	   OUTPUT
         |	          \|/	      |
     Local Process     |         Local Process

		          \|/
ETH1:PREROUTING---->FORWARD---->POSTROUTING---->OUT
         |			            |
       INPUT  		          OUTPUT
         |			            |
     Local Process		 Local Process

sample 2

Thanks Again
Gene D.

From: Jim Laurino @ 2005-12-13  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On 2005.12.12 16:46, Gene Dellinger - gene@poh.com wrote:
> To All:
> I got some helpful information, thanks to those who responded, I am still a
> bit fuzzy though.
> A packet coming in ETH0 destined for a system connected to ETH1, will that
> packet begin in the PREROUTING
> chain on ETH1(sample 1) and then out or go to the FORWARD chain(sample 2)
> and then out.

Neither example matches the structure of netfilter.
There is only one each of prerouting, forward, postrouting.
There is not one chain per interface.
If you need to specify the interface in a rule,
you must use the -i and -o fields in that rule.
One or the other of these fields may not be useable in some chains.

--
Jim Laurino
nfcan.x.jimlaur@dfgh.net

* Re: FORWARD Chain Question
@ 2005-12-13 10:30   ` Jörg Harmuth
From: Jörg Harmuth @ 2005-12-13 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Gene Dellinger schrieb:
> To All:
> I got some helpful information, thanks to those who responded, I am still a
> bit fuzzy though.
> A packet coming in ETH0 destined for a system connected to ETH1, will that
> packet begin in the PREROUTING
> chain on ETH1(sample 1) and then out or go to the FORWARD chain(sample 2)
> and then out.
>
> ETH0:PREROUTING---->FORWARD---->POSTROUTING---->OUT
>          |	           |            |
>        INPUT  	     |         OUTPUT
>          |	          \|/	      |
>       Local Process    |         Local Process

As Jim already said, chain traversal isn't bound to interfaces by
itself, but you can write rules that are related to a certain interface.
If you take this picture (stolen from you and a little bit modified):

   IN-->PREROUTING---->FORWARD---->POSTROUTING---->OUT
          |	                        |
        INPUT  	                      OUTPUT
          |                             |
          +------->Local Process------->+

then you have a simplified picture of what's going on (amongst others,
nat and mangle table are missing and the optional raw table as well).
Packets go through the above picture regardless of the interface (unless
as Jim also said, you specify -i or -o).

HTH,

Joerg

* RE: FORWARD Chain Question
@ 2005-12-13 19:21     ` Gene Dellinger
From: Gene Dellinger @ 2005-12-13 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jörg Harmuth, netfilter

Thanks to all,
All the information provided cleared things up for me.

Gene D.

@ 2005-12-10  8:15 ` Georgi Alexandrov
From: Georgi Alexandrov @ 2005-12-10  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Gene Dellinger wrote:

>On a multi-homed machine being used as a firewall, if
>a packet is forward'd from one interface to another.
>Does the packet enter the in at PRE-ROUTING portion of iptables
>chain again for that interface? It may seem obvious but
>I just want to make sure I am clear on that aspect of the
>chain traversal.
>
>Thanks
>Gene D.

Actually yes, the first chain that it hits is the PREROUTING chain of
the mangle table.

ref:
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html#TRAVERSINGOFTABLES

regards,