* Redfish Processor Command
@ 2020-07-06 22:13 Bills, Jason M
From: Bills, Jason M @ 2020-07-06 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc, john.leung

Hi All,

Intel processors have an interface called PECI that allows commands to
be sent to the processor from the BMC, and we currently provide a
Redfish OEM action to send PECI commands to the processor.

We proposed to the DMTF to add a standard command action to the Redfish
Processor resource for this purpose, and their suggestion was to just
keep it as an OEM action.

We're now trying to figure out the right way to handle this capability
in OpenBMC.  Would anyone else have use of a generic processor command
action in our OpenBMC Redfish implementation?

Thanks!
-Jason

* RE: Redfish Processor Command
@ 2020-07-07 16:54 ` Leung, John
From: Leung, John @ 2020-07-07 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bills, Jason M, openbmc

The proposal in the DMTF was to name the action something more generic, SendProcessorCommand, which other processor companies could use.

The rationale of the DMTF was that the underlying commands might be different, just have the same property name may cause confusion, and highly recommended using the OEM structure. They were open to end-user (Redfish client) feedback on the value of a common action name.

Regards,
John

@ 2020-07-08 12:09 ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2020-07-08 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bills, Jason M; +Cc: openbmc, john.leung

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 03:13:30PM -0700, Bills, Jason M wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Intel processors have an interface called PECI that allows commands to
>be sent to the processor from the BMC, and we currently provide a
>Redfish OEM action to send PECI commands to the processor.
>
>We proposed to the DMTF to add a standard command action to the
>Redfish Processor resource for this purpose, and their suggestion was
>to just keep it as an OEM action.
>
>We're now trying to figure out the right way to handle this capability
>in OpenBMC.  Would anyone else have use of a generic processor command
>action in our OpenBMC Redfish implementation?

I'd be able to make use of a common Redfish interface.  On POWER
processors there is an embedded ppc405 core called the OCC (on chip
controller) that provides a similar interface to the BMC.  We
implemented a dbus pass through interface for it:

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/org/open_power/OCC/PassThrough.interface.yaml

It is implemented by this application:

https://github.com/openbmc/openpower-occ-control