* Are there some methods that could limit how much CPU resources could be a single Xenomai process or thread?
@ 2020-07-16 12:00 孙世龙 sunshilong
From: 孙世龙 sunshilong @ 2020-07-16 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi, list

Are there some methods that could limit how much CPU resources could
be maximally
used by a single Xenomai process or thread?
Does the Linux kernel's cgroup interface work for the Xenomai?

The description about cgroup quoted from the Linux program manual:
The kernel's cgroup interface is provided through a pseudo-filesystem
called cgroupfs.
Grouping is implemented in the core cgroup kernel code, while resource
tracking and
limits are implemented in a set of per-resource-type subsystems
(memory, CPU, and
so on).

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards.

* RE: Are there some methods that could limit how much CPU resources could be a single Xenomai process or thread?
@ 2020-07-17  0:55 ` Meng, Fino
From: Meng, Fino @ 2020-07-17  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 孙世龙 sunshilong; +Cc: Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

In my understanding cgroup's design is exclusionary with real-time/deterministic/time coordinate design,
The latency/jitter is already down to 20us level,  how it can endure cgroup's volatility,
Do u really have strong requirement for this scenario? maybe it will work on a highly fine-tuned environment.

BR / Fino (孟祥夫)
Intel – IOTG Developer Enabling

@ 2020-07-17 10:18   ` 孙世龙 sunshilong
       [not found]     ` <VI1PR05MB591764005132FA3D93ADCA95F67C0@VI1PR05MB5917.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com>
From: 孙世龙 sunshilong @ 2020-07-17 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meng, Fino; +Cc: Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

Hi, 孟祥夫
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

>In my understanding cgroup's design is exclusionary with real-time/deterministic/time coordinate design.
>The latency/jitter is already down to 20us level,  how it can endure cgroup's volatility.
I don't hold much hope, either. But I am not sure whether it's
impossible to achieve this goal or not.

>Do u really have strong requirement for this scenario?
It's a strong requirement, but not necessary.

>Maybe it will work on a highly fine-tuned environment.
Any advice on how to proceed?

Best Regards.
sunshilong(孙世龙)

@ 2020-07-20  0:39     ` Meng, Fino
       [not found]     ` <VI1PR05MB591764005132FA3D93ADCA95F67C0@VI1PR05MB5917.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com>
>Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.
>
>>In my understanding cgroup's design is exclusionary with real-time/deterministic/time coordinate design.
>>The latency/jitter is already down to 20us level,  how it can endure cgroup's volatility.
>I don't hold much hope, either. But I am not sure whether it's impossible to achieve this goal or not.
>
>>Do u really have strong requirement for this scenario?
>It's a strong requirement, but not necessary.
>
>>Maybe it will work on a highly fine-tuned environment.
>Any advice on how to proceed?

Hi Shilong,

What I am thinking, instead of use passive mechanism(cgroup, schd_tp...),
how about let RT thread finish workload in time and voluntary give out CPU?
More complex design will induce more issue until out of control,

BR/Fino

       [not found]       ` <CAAvDm6bKMScqC33e_fe-+giM16BXd7E=18dH14D3LXQZgAxsyQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-07-20  8:31         ` Lange Norbert
From: Lange Norbert @ 2020-07-20  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 孙世龙 sunshilong, Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

Hello,

I am reconnecting the ML.

I am not aware of any good documentation for SCHED_TP,
but there is an example in smokey/sched-tp which Id use as starting point.

I don’t think SCHED_TP will measurable affect latency, outside of course in
the case where its “by design” (process needs to wait for its timeslice).

Norbert