* database for device scan
@ 2010-10-31 14:18 Helmut Hullen
From: Helmut Hullen @ 2010-10-31 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hallo, linux-btrfs,

I've used for some days btrfs-progs-20100717, now I'm using "btrfs-
progs-201030" (built with the "SlackBuild" script for slackware).

Works fine, but the actual version works in another way than the
previous when I say

        mkfs.btrfs /dev/sdb1

(or how the device may be named).
The previous version finished its work within some seconds, the actual
version first tests all block devices in "/dev".

If I'd run "udev" that may be no big problem. But I prefer not using
"udev", I prefer working with static device entries, and that leads to
many entries for devices which really don't exist. And "scan" scans all
of them.

Maybe it's a better idea not to use "/dev" as database, using "proc/
partitions" may be the better way.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-10-31 14:18 UTC | newest]