* INSTALL hint: create device btrfs-control
@ 2011-08-04 10:10 Helmut Hullen
From: Helmut Hullen @ 2011-08-04 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hallo,

you should please add a hint in

   .../git/mason/btrfs-progs-unstable.git

in the file "INSTALL" with at least the contents (please excuse my
gerlish)

"btrfs" needs the device "btrfs-control". Perhaps you have to create it:

        mknod /dev/btrfs-control c 10 234

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut

* Re: INSTALL hint: create device btrfs-control
@ 2011-08-04 17:35 ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2011-08-04 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: helmut; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 12:10:00PM +0200, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> you should please add a hint in
>
>    .../git/mason/btrfs-progs-unstable.git
>
> in the file "INSTALL" with at least the contents (please excuse my
> gerlish)
>
> "btrfs" needs the device "btrfs-control". Perhaps you have to create it:
>
>         mknod /dev/btrfs-control c 10 234

   This should probably go in the problems FAQ [1] on the wiki
instead, since (a) it's really a problem with your distribution, and
(b) probably quite rare now that the majority of people are running
distributions with udev.

   What are the symptoms of not having the device node? (i.e. how
would I diagnose this particular problem?)

   Hugo.

          --- What part of "gestalt" don't you understand? ---

* Re: INSTALL hint: create device btrfs-control
@ 2011-08-04 18:35   ` Helmut Hullen
From: Helmut Hullen @ 2011-08-04 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hallo, Hugo,

Du meintest am 04.08.11:

>> you should please add a hint in
>>
>>    .../git/mason/btrfs-progs-unstable.git
>>
>> in the file "INSTALL" with at least the contents (please excuse my
>> gerlish)
>>
>> "btrfs" needs the device "btrfs-control". Perhaps you have to create
>> it:
>>
>>         mknod /dev/btrfs-control c 10 234

>    This should probably go in the problems FAQ [1] on the wiki
> instead, since (a) it's really a problem with your distribution, and
> (b) probably quite rare now that the majority of people are running
> distributions with udev.

Sorry - it's no problem of my distribution; slackware uses udev.

But I run/maintain a very special system, without udev, with most
modules integrated in the kernel etc. - it's for a special kind of
servers, not for end user workstations.

And I believe btrfs should run not only for "the majority of people"
without problems but also for systems which aren't "main stream".

>    What are the symptoms of not having the device node? (i.e. how
> would I diagnose this particular problem?)

Please wait some hours (or days); I'll have to build a test system (I
won't change my running systems ...).

@ 2011-08-04 20:13   ` Helmut Hullen
From: Helmut Hullen @ 2011-08-04 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hallo, Hugo,

Du meintest am 04.08.11:

>    What are the symptoms of not having the device node? (i.e. how
> would I diagnose this particular problem?)

The days get shorter and shorter ...

running

        btrfs device scan

produces something like

failed to read /dev/hdc
failed to read /dev/hdc8
failed to read /dev/lmscd
failed to read /dev/sdc1
failed to read /dev/sdb4
failed to open /dev/btrfs-control skipping device registration
failed to read /dev/sdd8
failed to read /dev/hdc9
failed to read /dev/sdf8

a lot of error messages for not existing devices and 1 error messages on
behalf of "btrfs-control".

My "/dev" directory has worked (without "udev") without any problem for
more than 10 years, it contains (has contained) a lot of entries for
nearly every case of disk. Therefore i had started with

        btrfs device scan 2>/dev/null

and that deleted the "btrfs-control" error message too. And

        btrfs device scan 2>&1 | grep -v 'failed to'

didn't help too.

        btrfs-show

doesn't need "/dev/btrfs-control", it shows the existing btrfs
partition(s).

If I remember correct: mounting works, writing works, reading works. And
adding another partition works.

But there are strange messages when I try to resize or delete.

I'll try to reproduce these messages ...

@ 2011-08-04 20:42     ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2011-08-04 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: helmut; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 10:13:00PM +0200, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, Hugo,
>
> Du meintest am 04.08.11:
>
> >    What are the symptoms of not having the device node? (i.e. how
> > would I diagnose this particular problem?)
>
> The days get shorter and shorter ...
>
> running
>
>         btrfs device scan
>
> produces something like

> failed to read /dev/hdc
> failed to read /dev/hdc8
> failed to read /dev/lmscd
> failed to read /dev/sdc1
> failed to read /dev/sdb4
> failed to open /dev/btrfs-control skipping device registration

   OK, that's the symptom we can put in the problems list for this
particular issue.

> failed to read /dev/sdd8
> failed to read /dev/hdc9
> failed to read /dev/sdf8
>
> a lot of error messages for not existing devices and 1 error messages on
> behalf of "btrfs-control".
>
> My "/dev" directory has worked (without "udev") without any problem for
> more than 10 years, it contains (has contained) a lot of entries for
> nearly every case of disk. Therefore i had started with
>
>         btrfs device scan 2>/dev/null
>
> and that deleted the "btrfs-control" error message too. And
>
>         btrfs device scan 2>&1 | grep -v 'failed to'
>
> didn't help too.

   Goffredo published a patch to scan only the contents of
/proc/partitions, which should at least shut up the scan over the
issue of non-existent devices in /dev. That's in the next
integration-* branch (going out shortly... I'm just integrating and
updating the balance management patches before i release).

>         btrfs-show
>
> doesn't need "/dev/btrfs-control", it shows the existing btrfs
> partition(s).
>
> If I remember correct: mounting works, writing works, reading works. And
> adding another partition works.
>
> But there are strange messages when I try to resize or delete.
>
> I'll try to reproduce these messages ...

   Thanks. We can add those as symptoms to the solution later.

   How's this?

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Problem_FAQ#I_get_the_message_.22failed_to_open_.2Fdev.2Fbtrfs-control_skipping_device_registration.22_from_.22btrfs_dev_scan.22

   Hugo.

       --- "I lost my leg in 1942.  Some bastard stole it in a ---
                            pub in Pimlico."

* Re: INSTALL hint: create device btrfs-control
@ 2011-08-04 21:26       ` Helmut Hullen
From: Helmut Hullen @ 2011-08-04 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hallo, Hugo,

Du meintest am 04.08.11:

>> failed to read /dev/hdc
>> failed to read /dev/hdc8
>> failed to read /dev/lmscd
>> failed to read /dev/sdc1
>> failed to read /dev/sdb4
>> failed to open /dev/btrfs-control skipping device registration

>    OK, that's the symptom we can put in the problems list for this
> particular issue.

[...]

>    Goffredo published a patch to scan only the contents of
> /proc/partitions, which should at least shut up the scan over the
> issue of non-existent devices in /dev. That's in the next
> integration-* branch (going out shortly... I'm just integrating and
> updating the balance management patches before i release).

That sounds fine - thanks to you and to Goffredo!

>> I'll try to reproduce these messages ...

>    Thanks. We can add those as symptoms to the solution later.

I've just run the first test - finding reliable (for only this case)
messages is a bad job ...

>    How's this?

> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Problem_FAQ#I_get_the_message
> _.22failed_to_open_.2Fdev.2Fbtrfs-control_skipping_device_registratio
> n.22_from_.22btrfs_dev_scan.22

There's some problem in the Wiki. This new paragraph (?) is not shown
when I call the "Problem_FAQ", it ends with the "Copy-on-write doesn't
work" question.

When I look into the source code of that page I can see and read the
paragraph, and it looks fine!

@ 2011-08-04 21:49         ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2011-08-04 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: helmut; +Cc: linux-btrfs

   Hi, Helmut,

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 11:26:00PM +0200, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Du meintest am 04.08.11:
> >> I'll try to reproduce these messages ...
>
> >    Thanks. We can add those as symptoms to the solution later.
>
> I've just run the first test - finding reliable (for only this case)
> messages is a bad job ...

   Well, it's probably OK just to use this particular symptom for
now. You've generally got to run btrfs dev scan before you run
anything else, so that message should turn up. I wouldn't spend ages
hunting down additional failure messages.

> >    How's this?
>
> > https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Problem_FAQ#I_get_the_message
> > _.22failed_to_open_.2Fdev.2Fbtrfs-control_skipping_device_registratio
> > n.22_from_.22btrfs_dev_scan.22
>
> There's some problem in the Wiki. This new paragraph (?) is not shown
> when I call the "Problem_FAQ", it ends with the "Copy-on-write doesn't
> work" question.
>
> When I look into the source code of that page I can see and read the
> paragraph, and it looks fine!

   Yes, I think there is a problem with it at the moment. The usual
one that happens every so often. I don't know what's up, but it seems
to be something to do with the MySQL back-end.

   At least the text looks good to you, so we'll leave it at that for
now, and it should be better the next time the kernel.org admins sort
it out.

   Hugo.

  --- "What's so bad about being drunk?" "You ask a glass of water" ---

* Re: INSTALL hint: create device btrfs-control
@ 2011-08-05  5:43           ` Helmut Hullen
From: Helmut Hullen @ 2011-08-05  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hallo, Hugo,

Du meintest am 04.08.11:

>>>    Thanks. We can add those as symptoms to the solution later.

>> I've just run the first test - finding reliable (for only this case)
>> messages is a bad job ...

>    Well, it's probably OK just to use this particular symptom for
> now. You've generally got to run btrfs dev scan before you run
> anything else, so that message should turn up.

My usual way: "btrfs device scan" is part of a script under "/etc/
init.d", it's run while booting the machine, and even when I watch the
machine while booting this special message isn't shown a long time. I'm
searching ...

@ 2011-08-05 10:19       ` Helmut Hullen
From: Helmut Hullen @ 2011-08-05 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hallo, Hugo,

Du meintest am 04.08.11:

>>>    What are the symptoms of not having the device node? (i.e. how
>>> would I diagnose this particular problem?)

>> If I remember correct: mounting works, writing works, reading works.
>> And adding another partition works.
>>
>> But there are strange messages when I try to resize or delete.
>>
>> I'll try to reproduce these messages ...

>    Thanks. We can add those as symptoms to the solution later.

Maybe I've found the place of the (unique?) problem.

Partitions:

        sdb1    2 GByte
        sdb2    3 GByte
        sdb3    4 Gbyte

   mkfs.btrfs -L Probe -m raid0 -d raid1 /dev/sdb1
   mount LABEL=Probe /mnt/Probe
     filling with about 600 MByte (1 *.iso)

   btrfs device add /dev/sdb2 /mnt/Probe
   btrfs filesystem balance /mnt/Probe
     (ok)
   btrfs device add /dev/sdb3 /mnt/Probe
     filling with a DVD *.iso (more than 4 GByte)
   btrfs filesystem balance /mnt/Probe
     (ok)

And then:

   btrfs device delete /dev/sdb2 /mnt/Probe

works fine, if /dev/btrfs-control exists

crashes (shown with "dmesg") if this device doesn't exist.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut