* Creating BLE Server application with BlueZ
@ 2016-01-05 18:36 Stanbro, Matthew A.
From: Stanbro, Matthew A. @ 2016-01-05 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hello Everyone,

I am new to working with BlueZ and I am trying to get a handle on how to create a BLE service and add characteristics. Looking around the web I can find quite a bit of information about using BlueZ as a BLE client for connecting to other BLE devices to read/write attributes, but I am struggling to find anything which helps explain creating a BLE service and dealing with advertising. Can anyone point me to a resource for learning to work with the BlueZ C api for creating/starting/stopping services, adding/modifying characteristics, starting/stopping/modifying advertisments? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Best,
-Matthew Stanbro

* Re: Creating BLE Server application with BlueZ
@ 2016-01-11 15:10 ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2016-01-11 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanbro, Matthew A.; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Matthew,

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Stanbro, Matthew A.
<matthew.a.stanbro@hp.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am new to working with BlueZ and I am trying to get a handle on how to create a BLE service and add characteristics. Looking around the web I can find quite a bit of information about using BlueZ as a BLE client for connecting to other BLE devices to read/write attributes, but I am struggling to find anything which helps explain creating a BLE service and dealing with advertising. Can anyone point me to a resource for learning to work with the BlueZ C api for creating/starting/stopping services, adding/modifying characteristics, starting/stopping/modifying advertisments? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Currently there is no sample in C but the plan is to add some support
to bluetoothctl to do that, in the meantime you can check the examples
in python under test/example-gatt-server and test/example-advertising.
Alternatively you can create a plugin and link it directly with the
daemon so that you can use BlueZ C API, but this is only recommended
if you need low level access or there is security implication/special
access necessary for the services you want to add.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

* Re: Creating BLE Server application with BlueZ
@ 2016-01-11 18:20 ` Travis Griggs
From: Travis Griggs @ 2016-01-11 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Stanbro, Matthew A. <matthew.a.stanbro@hp.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am new to working with BlueZ and I am trying to get a handle on how to create a BLE service and add characteristics. Looking around the web I can find quite a bit of information about using BlueZ as a BLE client for connecting to other BLE devices to read/write attributes, but I am struggling to find anything which helps explain creating a BLE service and dealing with advertising. Can anyone point me to a resource for learning to work with the BlueZ C api for creating/starting/stopping services, adding/modifying characteristics, starting/stopping/modifying advertisments? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Matthew,

Are you wanting to use a C program to do your BLE stuff? Or are open to writing a python one? I’m currently trying to work through the same issues, but using python as the glue to configure/manage the service/characteristic.