* [Qemu-devel] Qemu on Intel Macs
@ 2006-02-01  5:02 Jeshua Lacock
From: Jeshua Lacock @ 2006-02-01  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Greetings,

I am trying to build Qemu on a Intel Mac and after a little bit of work
I got it building. It is having trouble with the "mach-o/ppc/reloc.h"
file. Someone from Apple says:

	"Mac OS X's ABI for Intel uses 'generic' relocation entry types, which
           are defined in <mach-o/reloc.h>.  You can see this by running
           'otool -arch i386 -rv /path/to/binary', where the binary is
universal or
	Intel-only."

The generic entry types are:

	enum reloc_type_generic
	{
	    GENERIC_RELOC_VANILLA,	/* generic relocation as discribed above */
	    GENERIC_RELOC_PAIR,		/* Only follows a GENRIC_RELOC_SECTDIFF */
	    GENERIC_RELOC_SECTDIFF,
	    GENERIC_RELOC_PB_LA_PTR,	/* prebound lazy pointer */
	    GENERIC_RELOC_LOCAL_SECTDIFF
	};

I don't see anything similar to "PPC_RELOC_BR24" . I realize that those
are specific to the PPC and "GENERIC_RELOC_VANILLA" will have to be
used, although I have no idea how to implement them. The scheme should
be pretty similar to the PPC Mach-O port.

The other (most likely related) error is:

	struct relocation_info' has no member named 'r_offset'

This is above my understaning, I would be very grateful to pay you for
your help. If you are interested I can create an account for you to log
into. Any help is appreciated. I would be happy to provide the changes
to the Qemu project.

Anyone out there feel qualified to help me get this going? Its a bit
beyond my ability at this time and I would be happy to compensate for
time.

Thanks,

Jeshua Lacock ___________________________
Programmer/Owner		Phone:	877.240.1364
http://OpenOSX.com		Fax:		415.462.6211
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu on Intel Macs
@ 2006-02-01  6:48 ` Gwenole Beauchesne
From: Gwenole Beauchesne @ 2006-02-01  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi,

> Anyone out there feel qualified to help me get this going? Its a bit
> beyond my ability at this time and I would be happy to compensate for
> time.

I still haven't had the time to merge back to QEMU the following change:
<http://www.cebix.net/viewcvs/cebix/SheepShaver/src/kpx_cpu/src/cpu/
jit/dyngen.c?r1=1.14&r2=1.15>
Probably on next weekend...

> Jeshua Lacock ___________________________
> Programmer/Owner		Phone:	877.240.1364
> http://OpenOSX.com		Fax:		415.462.6211
> -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Ah, you claimed that Wintel^WBochs ran at near native performance, how
would you communicate on QEMU then?

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu on Intel Macs
@ 2006-02-01  9:14   ` Mike Kronenberg
From: Mike Kronenberg @ 2006-02-01  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi there,

thanks to a tipster I had a look at your sheepshaver 2 days ago :).
qemu dyngen.c is compiling with the added i386 mach lines. Later I
had some problems with osdep.h which is used by the qemu tools. I
disabled it for now.

Now I stuck with:
softmmu_header.h:204: error can't find a register in class
'GENERAL_REGS' while reloading 'asm'
which is used by:
target-i386:ops_template_mem.h:  In function
'op_cmpxchgb_kernel_T0_T1_EAX_CC

I tried with and without the gcc4 fixes... and it seams to be another
register issue which will be a lot of reading form me :)

Mike

@ 2006-02-01 15:01 ` Paul Brook
From: Paul Brook @ 2006-02-01 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Jeshua Lacock

> I don't see anything similar to "PPC_RELOC_BR24" . I realize that those
> are specific to the PPC and "GENERIC_RELOC_VANILLA" will have to be
> used, although I have no idea how to implement them. The scheme should
> be pretty similar to the PPC Mach-O port.

Your best sources of information are probably
(a) The Mach-o documentation, assuming such a thing exists.
(b) The OSX linker.

Paul

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu on Intel Macs
@ 2006-02-01 20:00     ` Paul Brook
From: Paul Brook @ 2006-02-01 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 09:14, Mike Kronenberg wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> thanks to a tipster I had a look at your sheepshaver 2 days ago :).
> qemu dyngen.c is compiling with the added i386 mach lines. Later I
> had some problems with osdep.h which is used by the qemu tools. I
> disabled it for now.
>
> Now I stuck with:
> softmmu_header.h:204: error can't find a register in class
> 'GENERAL_REGS' while reloading 'asm'
> which is used by:
> target-i386:ops_template_mem.h:  In function
> 'op_cmpxchgb_kernel_T0_T1_EAX_CC
>
> I tried with and without the gcc4 fixes... and it seams to be another
> register issue which will be a lot of reading form me :)

It's a GCC bug (PR15482) triggered by trying to 64-bit operations after
reserving most of the available registers for global register vars.

There are patches here that may work around the problem:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-11/msg00245.html

Paul