* Hardware wish list?
@ 2015-05-20 20:24 Alex Henrie
       [not found] ` <CAMMLpeTXs4XWRz+8igxw1=e4px_Seq=mRbvsu=T3L5JNVNfwiA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alex Henrie @ 2015-05-20 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW, Lucas Stach,
	Martin Peres, Marcin Kościelnicki, Samuel Pitoiset,
	Pierre Moreau

Greetings Nouveau developers,

It's been a while since I've sent any hardware your way. I feel that
Nouveau is one of the most important pieces of software holding Linux
back, and I'm happy to support you. If you send me a very specific
list of cards, boards, etc. that you want or need, I'll see what I can
do.

-Alex

* Re: Hardware wish list?
       [not found] ` <CAMMLpeTXs4XWRz+8igxw1=e4px_Seq=mRbvsu=T3L5JNVNfwiA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-20 20:57   ` caocoa-ruvOiOuSH0dWk0Htik3J/w
       [not found]     ` <9e6f064ba327c8547c321d078cc13952.squirrel-ruvOiOuSH0fsJmqe0W8EJvmVnJLW1JIT@public.gmane.org>
From: caocoa-ruvOiOuSH0dWk0Htik3J/w @ 2015-05-20 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Henrie; +Cc: Martin Peres, nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

By the way,
Is there any place where nouveau users can show their configuration (or at
least their GPU)? It might be useful if developers need to know how a
given GPU responds to their code.

> Greetings Nouveau developers,
>
> It's been a while since I've sent any hardware your way. I feel that
> Nouveau is one of the most important pieces of software holding Linux
> back, and I'm happy to support you. If you send me a very specific
> list of cards, boards, etc. that you want or need, I'll see what I can
> do.
>
> -Alex

* Re: Hardware wish list?
       [not found]     ` <9e6f064ba327c8547c321d078cc13952.squirrel-ruvOiOuSH0fsJmqe0W8EJvmVnJLW1JIT@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-20 21:10       ` Pierre Moreau
       [not found]         ` <C3D3069F-546F-48FE-ACBC-E3A78F4B84B9-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pierre Moreau @ 2015-05-20 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caocoa-ruvOiOuSH0dWk0Htik3J/w
  Cc: Martin Peres, Alex Henrie, nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Hello,

> On 20 May 2015, at 22:57, caocoa-ruvOiOuSH0dWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org wrote:
>
> By the way,
> Is there any place where nouveau users can show their configuration (or at
> least their GPU)? It might be useful if developers need to know how a
> given GPU responds to their code.

What has be done so far, is that developers ask (almost exclusively) on IRC or on the mailing list for testers. Maybe that could be improved.

>> Greetings Nouveau developers,
>>
>> It's been a while since I've sent any hardware your way. I feel that
>> Nouveau is one of the most important pieces of software holding Linux
>> back, and I'm happy to support you. If you send me a very specific
>> list of cards, boards, etc. that you want or need, I'll see what I can
>> do.

Thank you for the proposal, but I have almost no time to work on Nouveau at the moment, and I still have a few cards I need to play with (including the G96 you sent me :) ).

Pierre

>> -Alex

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Hardware wish list?
       [not found]         ` <C3D3069F-546F-48FE-ACBC-E3A78F4B84B9-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-20 22:04           ` caocoa-ruvOiOuSH0dWk0Htik3J/w
       [not found]             ` <9026690e611d75265b9be5dcb18a3e07.squirrel-ruvOiOuSH0fsJmqe0W8EJvmVnJLW1JIT@public.gmane.org>
From: caocoa-ruvOiOuSH0dWk0Htik3J/w @ 2015-05-20 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Moreau; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

I haven't something which looks like a nouveau tester mailing list here
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo
If such mailing list exists, could you give me a link of it?

Cheers.
Caocoa

> Hello,
>
>> On 20 May 2015, at 22:57, caocoa@mail2tor.com wrote:
>>
>> By the way,
>> Is there any place where nouveau users can show their configuration (or
>> at
>> least their GPU)? It might be useful if developers need to know how a
>> given GPU responds to their code.
>
> What has be done so far, is that developers ask (almost exclusively) on
> IRC or on the mailing list for testers. Maybe that could be improved.
>

>>> Greetings Nouveau developers,
>>>
>>> It's been a while since I've sent any hardware your way. I feel that
>>> Nouveau is one of the most important pieces of software holding Linux
>>> back, and I'm happy to support you. If you send me a very specific
>>> list of cards, boards, etc. that you want or need, I'll see what I can
>>> do.
>
> Thank you for the proposal, but I have almost no time to work on Nouveau
> at the moment, and I still have a few cards I need to play with (including
> the G96 you sent me :) ).
>

> Pierre
>

>>> -Alex

* Re: Hardware wish list?
       [not found]             ` <9026690e611d75265b9be5dcb18a3e07.squirrel-ruvOiOuSH0fsJmqe0W8EJvmVnJLW1JIT@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-20 22:08               ` Ilia Mirkin
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2015-05-20 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caocoa-ruvOiOuSH0dWk0Htik3J/w; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

There is no such list. There was a page a long while ago on the wiki
which had people's descriptions of how nouveau worked on their hw. It
was in a constant state of extreme out-of-dateness. I wanted to create
a "trusted tester" list somewhere, but... ran out of steam. That was
like 1.5y ago. (I was thinking a wiki page. But it could be a mailing
list.)

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 6:04 PM,  <caocoa@mail2tor.com> wrote:
> I haven't something which looks like a nouveau tester mailing list here
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo
> If such mailing list exists, could you give me a link of it?
>
> Cheers.
> Caocoa
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> On 20 May 2015, at 22:57, caocoa@mail2tor.com wrote:
>>>
>>> By the way,
>>> Is there any place where nouveau users can show their configuration (or
>>> at
>>> least their GPU)? It might be useful if developers need to know how a
>>> given GPU responds to their code.
>>
>> What has be done so far, is that developers ask (almost exclusively) on
>> IRC or on the mailing list for testers. Maybe that could be improved.

>> Thank you for the proposal, but I have almost no time to work on Nouveau
>> at the moment, and I still have a few cards I need to play with (including
>> the G96 you sent me :) ).
>>

>> Pierre

* Re: Hardware wish list?
       [not found] ` <CAMMLpeTXs4XWRz+8igxw1=e4px_Seq=mRbvsu=T3L5JNVNfwiA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-20 23:00   ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]     ` <CAKb7UviL4iSOE0k9VbcyLKiO3JXA4it-2wnKG+9bd0-4RAOvPw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2015-05-20 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Henrie; +Cc: Martin Peres, nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Alex Henrie <alexhenrie24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings Nouveau developers,
>
> It's been a while since I've sent any hardware your way. I feel that
> Nouveau is one of the most important pieces of software holding Linux
> back,

That's certainly a funny way of putting it. If that were true, I'd
imagine that there would be tons of people looking to contribute to
the project. But that doesn't seem to be the present reality.

There are plenty of areas where nouveau is lacking... are there any in
particular that you think need special attention? Note that things
like "reclocking" are highly unlikely to happen without a considerable
source of funds, as it would require a fairly long-term effort from a
highly skilled developer. [And it's all moot once you get to Maxwell,
since we're locked out of touching any of that stuff by signed code.
With some luck NVIDIA will make firmware available for desktop GPUs,
but I'm not holding my breath.]

> and I'm happy to support you. If you send me a very specific
> list of cards, boards, etc. that you want or need, I'll see what I can
> do.

Unfortunately the most precious resource is human time, not hardware.
If you're hoping to contribute to nouveau's improvement (and aren't
looking to do so directly by making code contributions), your time is
probably best spent drumming up developer interest in contributing.

Cheers,

  -ilia

* Re: Hardware wish list?
       [not found]     ` <CAKb7UviL4iSOE0k9VbcyLKiO3JXA4it-2wnKG+9bd0-4RAOvPw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-20 23:27       ` Alex Henrie
From: Alex Henrie @ 2015-05-20 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: Martin Peres, nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

> On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Alex Henrie <alexhenrie24@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greetings Nouveau developers,
>>
>> It's been a while since I've sent any hardware your way. I feel that
>> Nouveau is one of the most important pieces of software holding Linux
>> back,
>
> That's certainly a funny way of putting it. If that were true, I'd
> imagine that there would be tons of people looking to contribute to
> the project. But that doesn't seem to be the present reality.

My dream is to be able to plug a live Linux flash drive into any
desktop computer and play games without graphics artifacts, special
configuration, or bad performance. It is getting better, but I think
we have a long ways to go, especially since we're moving towards
Wayland and the proprietary Nvidia drivers don't work at all there.

> There are plenty of areas where nouveau is lacking... are there any in
> particular that you think need special attention? Note that things
> like "reclocking" are highly unlikely to happen without a considerable
> source of funds, as it would require a fairly long-term effort from a
> highly skilled developer. [And it's all moot once you get to Maxwell,
> since we're locked out of touching any of that stuff by signed code.
> With some luck NVIDIA will make firmware available for desktop GPUs,
> but I'm not holding my breath.]

Any improvement would move us closer to the above-stated dream.

>> and I'm happy to support you. If you send me a very specific
>> list of cards, boards, etc. that you want or need, I'll see what I can
>> do.
>
> Unfortunately the most precious resource is human time, not hardware.
> If you're hoping to contribute to nouveau's improvement (and aren't
> looking to do so directly by making code contributions), your time is
> probably best spent drumming up developer interest in contributing.

OK. I just thought I'd offer. I agree with you that human developer
time is a far more precious resource, but unfortunately I don't have
much to offer in the way of actual code. So I'll get out of your hair;
good luck!

-Alex