* RE: omap5912 and regular DDR
@ 2005-12-15 17:21 Hunter, Jon
From: Hunter, Jon @ 2005-12-15 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Woodruff, Richard, Olav Kongas, linux-omap-open-source

Hi Olav, Richard,

Unfortunately, I do not believe that we support this on the OMAP5912. My
understanding is that we only support regular SDR, mobile SDR and mobile
DDR. The description of the EMIFF interface in the data manual only
lists these. I also recall that we had said no to this in the past to
from another request.

Regards,
Jon

* RE: omap5912 and regular DDR
@ 2005-12-19 12:53 ` Olav Kongas
From: Olav Kongas @ 2005-12-19 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hunter, Jon; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Hunter, Jon wrote:

> Unfortunately, I do not believe that we support this on the OMAP5912. My
> understanding is that we only support regular SDR, mobile SDR and mobile
> DDR. The description of the EMIFF interface in the data manual only
> lists these. I also recall that we had said no to this in the past to
> from another request.

Hi Jon, Richard,

Jon, thanks for the information.

We have developed a board on which we use regular DDR
MT46V16M16TG, attached to omap5912. Last Friday I got the
DDR working and till now the u-boot's alternative (more
thorough) memory test has been running flawlessly for about
72 hours. Though I don't think anyone is stupid enough to
knowingly design for unsupported memory type, it seems at
least until now that it can be done with the above memory.

Jon, I would most appreciate if you could find out and
reveal the reason, why rDDR is not officially supported on
omap5912.

Thanks in advance,
Olav

* RE: omap5912 and regular DDR
@ 2005-12-20 18:51 ` Olav Kongas
From: Olav Kongas @ 2005-12-20 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hunter, Jon; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Hunter, Jon wrote:

> > Jon, I would most appreciate if you could find out and reveal
> > the reason, why rDDR is not officially supported on omap5912.
>

> I doubled checked on this as it had been sometime since I had looked at
> this. However, the official statement still is that we do not support
> ddr1. The problem is that the internal i/o buffer on the 5912 will not
> meet the JEDEC spec for ddr1. It could be possible that it may work,
> however, we cannot guarantee across all devices produced that it will
> work as there will be some variation in the silicon between parts.

Jon, thank you so much.

Olav

* RE: omap5912 and regular DDR
@ 2005-12-20 16:37 Hunter, Jon
From: Hunter, Jon @ 2005-12-20 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olav Kongas; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

Hi Olav,

@ 2005-12-15 16:44 Woodruff, Richard
From: Woodruff, Richard @ 2005-12-15 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olav Kongas, linux-omap-open-source

I'll give my disclaimer that I don't have an OSK. Nor did I look up the
module capabilities, So I really don't know.

I would guess it should support DDR and mDDR.  The initialization
sequence as documented in TRM's and DDR data sheets I've looked at are
slightly different.

OMAP2 DDR controllers defiantly are designed to support both though I've
only seen mDDR on boards which I use.

Regards,
Richard W.

* omap5912 and regular DDR