* Newbie: AlphaCore
@ 2009-07-17 15:44 "J.A. Magallón"
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: "J.A. Magallón" @ 2009-07-17 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-alpha

Hi all...

I've put my hands on an old Ruffian box (164UX), and wanted to try Linux
on that alpha. I have used/managed/broken linux on x86(64) for years,
but with this alpha I'm not even able to boot the installer...

System: Samsung 164UX, 1Gb ram, 533 MHZ processor.
ARCS firmware updated to the latest (1.3.062) in
http://www.alphalinux.org/firmware/api/UX/.

I downloaded AlphaCore isos from http://buildsys.zero42.at/iso/.
It looks like it has kernel 2.6.26.

The box had an old Suse installed that I want to completely erase.
It has a fat partition for milo/ldmilo.
I cant get that milo to boot from the CD.

Questions:
- AFAIK, I can not boot from CDROM directly from ARCS. I need milo.
- Where can I get a recent milo for the ruffian ?
   I say recent, because I have read that milo is kernel dependent,
   and perhaps that old milo can't boot the kernel in the cd.
- How should I boot from the CD ?
   I have tried things like
   MILO> boot hda:
   MILO> boot hda:/boot/bootlx
   MILO> boot hda:/kernels/vlinux.gz initrd=/images/initrd.img

   but no luck.

In short, what should I do to boot the installer ???

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com>     \               Software is
like sex:

* RE: Newbie: AlphaCore
@ 2009-07-17 16:27 ` Will L Givens
From: Will L Givens @ 2009-07-17 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]