* Hash table implementation
@ 2012-07-23 10:07 ` Arif Hossain
From: Arif Hossain @ 2012-07-23 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies, netfilter-devel

Hi,

This commit shows that jenkins hash
function(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkins_hash_function) is
implemented in kernel :

commit 60d509c823cca21e77d537bd356785f7cfe8f0d1
Author: Jozsef Kadlecsik <kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu>
Date:   Fri Dec 3 02:39:01 2010 +0000

    The new jhash implementation
 <snip>

I could not find any good documentation describing how to use it. Only
thing i could do is to read codes which uses it, like

/net/netfilter/xt_NFQUEUE.c. I have got some idea about how it works.
But a good documentation would have been better. Like this one
describing linux's implementation of doubly linked list :

http://isis.poly.edu/kulesh/stuff/src/klist/

It describes how i can use this even in user land code. If i could do
this for jhash then the understanding would have been better.

Cheers.

* Hash table implementation
@ 2012-07-23 10:07 ` Arif Hossain

Author: Jozsef Kadlecsik <kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu>
Date:   Fri Dec 3 02:39:01 2010 +0000

    The new jhash implementation
 <snip>

I could not find any good documentation describing how to use it. Only
thing i could do is to read codes which uses it, like

/net/netfilter/xt_NFQUEUE.c. I have got some idea about how it works.
But a good documentation would have been better. Like this one
describing linux's implementation of doubly linked list :

http://isis.poly.edu/kulesh/stuff/src/klist/

It describes how i can use this even in user land code. If i could do
this for jhash then the understanding would have been better.

Cheers.

* Hash table implementation
  (?)
@ 2012-07-23 18:13 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2012-07-23 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi :)

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Arif Hossain <aftnix@gmail.com> wrote:
> It describes how i can use this even in user land code. If i could do
> this for jhash then the understanding would have been better.

Perhaps it is your turn to create one? :)

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Hash table implementation
@ 2012-07-23 20:07   ` Arif
From: Arif @ 2012-07-23 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Jul 24, 2012, at 1:13 AM, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Arif Hossain <aftnix@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> It describes how i can use this even in user land code. If i could do
>> this for jhash then the understanding would have been better.
>
> Perhaps it is your turn to create one? :)

I guess i should write one and send a patch to whoever maintaining
Documentation directory of linux tree.

cheers

@ 2012-07-24  4:25     ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2012-07-24  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi :)

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Arif <aftnix@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess i should write one and send a patch to whoever maintaining
> Documentation directory of linux tree.

I, personally, heartily support and recommend you to do that. Not
because you are already smart about it, but since you're now dealing
with it and have opportunity to learn about it. Documentation is
something overlooked sometimes, so contribution in this area is also
very important IMHO.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Re: Hash table implementation
@ 2012-07-23 20:06   ` Arif
From: Arif @ 2012-07-23 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Schillstrom; +Cc: kernelnewbies, netfilter-devel

On Jul 23, 2012, at 11:31 PM, Hans Schillstrom wrote:

>> Subject: Hash table implementation
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This commit shows that jenkins hash
>> function(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkins_hash_function) is
>> implemented in kernel :
>>
>> commit 60d509c823cca21e77d537bd356785f7cfe8f0d1
>> Author: Jozsef Kadlecsik <kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu>
>> Date:   Fri Dec 3 02:39:01 2010 +0000
>>
>>   The new jhash implementation
>> <snip>
>>
>> I could not find any good documentation describing how to use it.
>> Only
>> thing i could do is to read codes which uses it, like
>
> Have a look in the include file it self  linux-3.5.0/include/linux/
> jhash.h
> every function is well documented there.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked through it. I guess the file
serves well. I should pay attentions to comments more. Its just the
guys i develop with, they put horrible comments, and i developed a
habit of overlooking them.

> /Hans

> devel" in

* Hash table implementation