* Re: modem atom api change request for support GSM&CDMA dual mode
@ 2010-10-26  4:10 Rajesh.Nagaiah
From: Rajesh.Nagaiah @ 2010-10-26  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Caiwen,

>Zhang, Caiwen to ofono
>
>Hi all,
>
>Considering support GSM + CDMA dual mode, it is necessary to let upper
layer to
>know the type of the modem currently in use. My proposed solution is
add a
>property 'Type' in modem atom to indicate it. The following is the
definition
>of the property:
>
>string Type [readonly]
>
>Type of the modem. The possible values are:
> "gsm" - the modem is a GSM modem
> "cdma" - the modem is a CDMA modem
> "unknown" - the modem is neither a GSM modem nor
>             a CDMA modem

As there are also Multimode modems(both GSM and CDMA), Property name
Type would be misleading.

string ModemAccessTechnology [readonly]

Current Access Technology of the Modem.
The Possible values are:
"gsm" - the current modem access technology is GSM
"cdma" - the current modem access technology is CDMA

BR,
Rajesh

* RE: modem atom api change request for support GSM&CDMA dual mode
@ 2010-10-26  5:37 ` Zhang, Caiwen
From: Zhang, Caiwen @ 2010-10-26  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Rajesh,

> >Considering support GSM + CDMA dual mode, it is necessary to let
upper
> layer to
> >know the type of the modem currently in use. My proposed solution is
> add a
> >property 'Type' in modem atom to indicate it. The following is the
> definition
> >of the property:
> >
> >string Type [readonly]
> >
> >Type of the modem. The possible values are:
> > "gsm" - the modem is a GSM modem
> > "cdma" - the modem is a CDMA modem
> > "unknown" - the modem is neither a GSM modem nor
> >             a CDMA modem
>
> As there are also Multimode modems(both GSM and CDMA), Property name
> Type would be misleading.

Generally, Multimode modem will have different devices. So it can be
regarded as
two different modems. E.g. There is a multimode modem, there are two
device files for
Echo mode: such as /dev/ttyUSB0(for GSM) and /dev/ttyUSB1(for CDMA).

Of course, there may be multimode modem that only offers one device
file, or other
similar cases. It seems it is very hard to support this case in ofono
currently.

> string ModemAccessTechnology [readonly]
>
> Current Access Technology of the Modem.
> The Possible values are:
> "gsm" - the current modem access technology is GSM
> "cdma" - the current modem access technology is CDMA

Best regards
Caiwen

* RE: modem atom api change request for support GSM&CDMA dual mode
@ 2010-10-26  6:03   ` Rajesh.Nagaiah
From: Rajesh.Nagaiah @ 2010-10-26  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Caiwen,

> Generally, Multimode modem will have different devices. So it
> can be regarded as two different modems. E.g. There is a
> multimode modem, there are two device files for Echo mode:
> such as /dev/ttyUSB0(for GSM) and /dev/ttyUSB1(for CDMA).
>
> Of course, there may be multimode modem that only offers one
> device file, or other similar cases.

Yes, I meant also the MM modem cases where it offers one device file,
which exposes the MM modem as a single device to the AP and also
offering
mode switching between GSM and CDMA. When considering both these cases
Property name ModemAccesSTechnology suits better than Type.

> It seems it is very hard to support this case in ofono currently.

Any reasons ?

BR,
Rajesh

* RE: modem atom api change request for support GSM&CDMA dual mode
@ 2010-10-26  6:52     ` Zhang, Caiwen
From: Zhang, Caiwen @ 2010-10-26  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Rajesh,

> > Generally, Multimode modem will have different devices. So it
> > can be regarded as two different modems. E.g. There is a
> > multimode modem, there are two device files for Echo mode:
> > such as /dev/ttyUSB0(for GSM) and /dev/ttyUSB1(for CDMA).
> >
> > Of course, there may be multimode modem that only offers one
> > device file, or other similar cases.
>
> Yes, I meant also the MM modem cases where it offers one device file,
> which exposes the MM modem as a single device to the AP and also
> offering
> mode switching between GSM and CDMA. When considering both these cases
> Property name ModemAccesSTechnology suits better than Type.

Yes, I do agree.

> > It seems it is very hard to support this case in ofono currently.
>
> Any reasons ?

Do you mean the multimode modem only works at one mode at a time. Can
the
GSM and CDMA mode work at the same time. I means, such as when you are
in a
GSM call you can receive CDMA SMS at the same time. If so, Could you
please
describe how you achieve this? In my opinion, we need to do much change
make ofono support this.

Best regards
Caiwen

* RE: modem atom api change request for support GSM&CDMA dual mode
@ 2010-10-26 23:15       ` Rajesh.Nagaiah
From: Rajesh.Nagaiah @ 2010-10-26 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Caiwen,

> > > Generally, Multimode modem will have different devices.
> So it can be
> > > regarded as two different modems. E.g. There is a
> multimode modem,
> > > there are two device files for Echo mode:
> > > such as /dev/ttyUSB0(for GSM) and /dev/ttyUSB1(for CDMA).
> > >
> > > Of course, there may be multimode modem that only offers
> one device
> > > file, or other similar cases.
> >
> > Yes, I meant also the MM modem cases where it offers one
> device file,
> > which exposes the MM modem as a single device to the AP and also
> > offering mode switching between GSM and CDMA. When considering both
> > these cases Property name ModemAccesSTechnology suits better than
> > Type.
> >

> Yes, I do agree.
>
> > > It seems it is very hard to support this case in ofono currently.
> >
> > Any reasons ?
> >

> Do you mean the multimode modem only works at one mode at a
> time. Can the GSM and CDMA mode work at the same time.

Yes, I meant the one which works in One mode at a time, which provides
roaming between CDMA and GSM networks.Can I go ahead with the
modifications and submit the patch, as I am dependant on this task for
CDMA SMS developement ?

> I means, such as when you are in a GSM call you can receive
> CDMA SMS at the same time. If so, Could you please describe
> how you achieve this? In my opinion, we need to do much
> change to make ofono support this.

I am not sure if its possible to listen to the paging channel
in CDMA for notifications while the GSM call is active unless
it exposes to the AP as two different modems.

BR,
Rajesh

* RE: modem atom api change request for support GSM&CDMA dual mode
@ 2010-10-27  1:48         ` Zhang, Caiwen
From: Zhang, Caiwen @ 2010-10-27  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Rajesh,

> > So it can be
> > multimode modem,

> > one device
> > >
> > > Yes, I meant also the MM modem cases where it offers one
> > device file,
> > > which exposes the MM modem as a single device to the AP and also
> > > offering mode switching between GSM and CDMA. When considering
both
> > > these cases Property name ModemAccesSTechnology suits better than
> > > Type.
> > >

> > Yes, I do agree.

> > > Any reasons ?
> > >

> > Do you mean the multimode modem only works at one mode at a
> > time. Can the GSM and CDMA mode work at the same time.
>
> Yes, I meant the one which works in One mode at a time, which provides
> roaming between CDMA and GSM networks.Can I go ahead with the
> modifications and submit the patch, as I am dependant on this task for
> CDMA SMS developement ?

Yes. Our CDMA extension task suspended quite a long time in the past. So
the patch is still not submit. Currently, it is ready and it is waiting
for
internal review. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

The change is very tiny, so if you wouldn't like wait, just go ahead and
I'm
glad to wait for your patch.

By the way, people are used to call this attribute 'mode', why not call
the property
'Mode'. :)

@ 2010-08-23  7:27 Zhang, Caiwen
From: Zhang, Caiwen @ 2010-08-23  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)