* Continuous monitoring of wifi stats
@ 2009-09-16 17:24 John Goyette
From: John Goyette @ 2009-09-16 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice on a Libertas related issue.  I am having a problem with a recent feature we added to our embedded system that continuously monitors wifi statistics, i.e., signal strength.  We are using a Blackfin platform with a Marvell 8686 device in the G-SPI configuration.  Our kernel is based on a 2.6.28.6 release.

The problem occurs after pressing Ctrl-C to terminate a user space program that is polling the wireless stats in a loop.  A number of libertas error messages appear indicating a failure to download command 0x0000.  I am pretty sure there is no command 0x0000, so I do not know how it got queued.  Here is a sample of the error messages from dmesg:

libertas: command 0x0000 timed out
libertas: requeueing command 0x0000 due to timeout (#1)
libertas: if_spi_host_to_card: invalid size requested: 0
libertas: DNLD_CMD: hw_host_to_card failed: -22
libertas: command 0x0000 timed out
libertas: requeueing command 0x0000 due to timeout (0000002 <http://schicksw/mantis/view.php?id=2> )
libertas: requeueing command 0x0000 due to timeout (0000003 <http://schicksw/mantis/view.php?id=3> )
libertas: if_spi_host_to_card: invalid size requested: 0
libertas: DNLD_CMD: hw_host_to_card failed: -22
libertas: command 0x0000 timed out
libertas: Excessive timeouts submitting command 0x0000

This can be reproduced by enabling IEEE Power Savings mode and flooding the card with wireless stats requests by running something like the following from a terminal:

while true; do iwconfig eth1;done

Let this run for 30-60 secs, and then press Ctrl-C.  With IEEE power savings off, it may take several minutes, but does eventually give the same problem.  I have downloaded the compat-wireless-2.6.30 release and was able to cross-compile it for our kernel.  It helped a little in that it seemed to take longer before the error messaged occurred after pressing ctrl-c, but it did not completely resolve the problem.

Has anyone seen something similar?  Are there any more recent patches that may address this issue?

Thanks.

-John Goyette

Schick Technologies, Inc.

* Re: Continuous monitoring of wifi stats
@ 2009-09-20 15:10 ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2009-09-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Goyette; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 13:24 -0400, John Goyette wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I am looking for some advice on a Libertas related issue.  I am having a problem with a recent feature we added to our embedded system that continuously monitors wifi statistics, i.e., signal strength.  We are using a Blackfin platform with a Marvell 8686 device in the G-SPI configuration.  Our kernel is based on a 2.6.28.6 release.

Any chance you can grab the driver from 2.6.31 and rebuild it for your
kernel?  There are a few fixes from earlier this summer for GSPI and
Power Saving mode from Andrey Yurovsky that may fix your issue.  I'm
thinking specifically of b3781c74373489fa325ce64efdf72f6c8567b783 and a
few of the other PS cleanups from July.

Dan

@ 2009-09-20 15:48   ` Andrey Yurovsky
From: Andrey Yurovsky @ 2009-09-20 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams; +Cc: John Goyette, linux-wireless

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:10 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 13:24 -0400, John Goyette wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>

>> I am looking for some advice on a Libertas related issue.  I am having a problem with a recent feature we added to our embedded system that continuously monitors wifi statistics, i.e., signal strength.  We are using a Blackfin platform with a Marvell 8686 device in the G-SPI configuration.  Our kernel is based on a 2.6.28.6 release.
>
> Any chance you can grab the driver from 2.6.31 and rebuild it for your
> kernel?  There are a few fixes from earlier this summer for GSPI and
> Power Saving mode from Andrey Yurovsky that may fix your issue.  I'm
> thinking specifically of b3781c74373489fa325ce64efdf72f6c8567b783 and a
> few of the other PS cleanups from July.

I believe that John has the bug fixes in question -- John, can you
summarize your setup (which compat-wireless snapshot, etc)?