* Getting started on iMX6 DL development
@ 2015-11-09  4:53 Jeff Waller
From: Jeff Waller @ 2015-11-09  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hello all,

I’m trying to develop for a drone, which is using the following CPU

root@3dr_solo:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
model name	: ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	: 1988.29
Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x2
CPU part	: 0xc09
CPU revision	: 10

Hardware	: Freescale i.MX6 Quad/DualLite (Device Tree)
Revision	: 0000
Serial		: 0000000000000000

my first attempt is to get nodejs running on it which seems to be  straightforward, however, the compilation fails with the error

unrecognized argument in option -mfpu=vfpv2

which I think is correct, it isn’t supported, either by the chipset or qemu. My thought is that if I were to
set the correct hardware (MACHINE variable) (it’s currently defaulted to “qemuarm")  then the compiler options might change and I could avoid this problem.

I don’t need to create the entire image, just an rpm — at least to begin with.

this is for 1.5 (Dora)

The instructions here https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform <https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform>
and https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-base <https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-base> seem to conflict with
other yocto documentation.

Can't I simply clone/copy the various meta projects into a sub directory of pokey?

https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm <https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm>

https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra <https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra>

is there anything I’m missing?

-Jeff

* Re: Getting started on iMX6 DL development
@ 2015-11-09 13:13 ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2015-11-09 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Waller; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 2:53 AM, Jeff Waller <truthset@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I’m trying to develop for a drone, which is using the following CPU
>
> root@3dr_solo:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor : 0
> model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
> BogoMIPS : 1988.29
> Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
> CPU implementer : 0x41
> CPU architecture: 7
> CPU variant : 0x2
> CPU part : 0xc09
> CPU revision : 10
>
> Hardware : Freescale i.MX6 Quad/DualLite (Device Tree)
> Revision : 0000
> Serial : 0000000000000000
>
> my first attempt is to get nodejs running on it which seems to be
> straightforward, however, the compilation fails with the error
>
> unrecognized argument in option -mfpu=vfpv2
>
> which I think is correct, it isn’t supported, either by the chipset or qemu.
> My thought is that if I were to
> set the correct hardware (MACHINE variable) (it’s currently defaulted to
> “qemuarm")  then the compiler options might change and I could avoid this
> problem.
>
> I don’t need to create the entire image, just an rpm — at least to begin
> with.
>
> this is for 1.5 (Dora)
>
> The instructions here
> https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform
> and https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-base seem to conflict
> with
> other yocto documentation.
>
> Can't I simply clone/copy the various meta projects into a sub directory of
> pokey?

I would start upgrading the yocto/poky version you are using. 1.5 is
way too old now (we are at 2.0)

FSL Community BSP is a side project along with Yocto Project. And we
think it's easier for us to use repo to dowload the base layers, but
it's absolutely possible to git clone each metalayer one by one (or
even change the repo to get the layers tailored to your use)

Take a look here [1] to understand what FSL Community BSP is

[1] http://freescale.github.io/doc/release-notes/2.0/

> https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm
> https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra
>
> is there anything I’m missing?

I have never (truly) tested qemuarm, try to reproduce the same you
have using a jethro (2.0) and if it is still happening I can take a
look.

Daiane

@ 2015-11-09 16:24   ` Jeff Waller
From: Jeff Waller @ 2015-11-09 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiane Angolini; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hey Daiane,

Thanks for the reply, yea I was able to simply clone into the top level poky directory,
but perhaps it would be better to clone in another location an then copy.  As I
suspected defining another machine ‘fixed’ the problem and the compilation was
successful.  But now I’m not sure how to run this in the emulator or if it can
be done.  According to the discussion list, qemu does support Cortex-A9 except
for some minor aspects which I don’t think will affect me.

As far as upgrading to something newer then 1.5; that’s out of my control because
this is a selection of the manufacturer. I think it’s Dora anyway based on system
information.

I simply ended up picking a supported BSP from the list that was “close” to
what I’m guessing is the actual hardware

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION        = "1.20.0"
BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-14.04"
TARGET_SYS        = "arm-poky-linux-gnueabi"
MACHINE           = "imx6dlsabresd"
DISTRO            = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.5.4"
TUNE_FEATURES     = "armv7a vfp neon callconvention-hard cortexa9"
TARGET_FPU        = "vfp-neon"

But it’s not quite the same, for instance, the actual hardware supports

swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls

It would be nice to build up a more correct profile; I’m not quire sure how to
begin on that one.

-Jeff

@ 2015-11-09 16:59     ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2015-11-09 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Waller; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Jeff Waller <truthset@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Daiane,
>
> Thanks for the reply, yea I was able to simply clone into the top level poky
> directory,
> but perhaps it would be better to clone in another location an then copy.
> As I
> suspected defining another machine ‘fixed’ the problem and the compilation
> was
> successful.  But now I’m not sure how to run this in the emulator or if it
> can
> be done.  According to the discussion list, qemu does support Cortex-A9
> except
> for some minor aspects which I don’t think will affect me.
>
> As far as upgrading to something newer then 1.5; that’s out of my control
> because
> this is a selection of the manufacturer. I think it’s Dora anyway based on
> system
> information.

FSL Community BSP has support for imx6dlsabresd, as you saw, and we
keep this up to date with latest Freescale released source code. If
you decide to use the latest you can add your board support on our
kernel and add your board to meta-fsl-arm-extra.

But it's up on you.

> I simply ended up picking a supported BSP from the list that was “close” to
> what I’m guessing is the actual hardware
>
> Build Configuration:
> BB_VERSION        = "1.20.0"
> BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
> NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-14.04"
> TARGET_SYS        = "arm-poky-linux-gnueabi"
> MACHINE           = "imx6dlsabresd"
> DISTRO            = "poky"
> DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.5.4"
> TUNE_FEATURES     = "armv7a vfp neon callconvention-hard cortexa9"
> TARGET_FPU        = "vfp-neon"
>
> But it’s not quite the same, for instance, the actual hardware supports
>
> swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
>
> It would be nice to build up a more correct profile; I’m not quire sure how
> begin on that one.

If you want cortex-a9 support only, it would be better to use the
default kernel for qemuarm. But you can also try to change the default
settings (TUNES), take a look on the imx-base.inc file, and the
machine file.

Daiane