* sb creation woes (Was: [git pull] new mount API)
@ 2018-08-30  9:05 Miklos Szeredi
From: Miklos Szeredi @ 2018-08-30  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Viro
  Cc: Eric W. Biederman, Andy Lutomirski, David Howells,
	Theodore Y. Ts'o, Linus Torvalds, Linux FS Devel, Linux API

Some musings.  Lets take NFS as an example, because a lot of this
seems to revolve around issues with distributed filesystems.

What's the logical way to configure the thing when we have multiple
servers and multiple mounts per server?  I'd think having two levels
would make sense:

 1) configure a connection (IP address, protocol, options)

 2) mount instances of this connection into the tree

This doesn't fit the current /etc/fstab model: the information
currently contained therein would be split into two distinct sources,
e.g.:

/etc/fs-conn:

foo {
    type=nfs,
    vers=4,
    address = nfs.foo.com,
    rsize=8192,
    wsize=1048576,
};

bar {
    type=nfs,
    vers=3,
    address = nfs.bar.com,
};

/etc/fs-mounts:

foo /one /mnt/foo/one nosuid,nodev,ro
foo /two /mnt/foo/two defaults
bar / /mnt/bar noatime

This closely matches what the kernel currently does (each entry in
fs-conn will create a super block, each entry in fs-mounts will create
a mount), except a certain amount of mind reading by the kernel is
replaced with explicit configuration.

So how can this be presented on the new API?  Simple: just make
fs_context be nameable and persistent.

Where that name resides (i.e. which namespace) is a good question,
that I don't have an answer to.  Perhaps Eric...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Miklos

* Re: sb creation woes (Was: [git pull] new mount API)
@ 2018-08-30 14:19 ` Andy Lutomirski
From: Andy Lutomirski @ 2018-08-30 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miklos Szeredi
  Cc: Al Viro, Eric W. Biederman, Andy Lutomirski, David Howells,
	Theodore Y. Ts'o, Linus Torvalds, Linux FS Devel, Linux API

> On Aug 30, 2018, at 2:05 AM, Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu> wrote:
>
> Some musings.  Lets take NFS as an example, because a lot of this
> seems to revolve around issues with distributed filesystems.
>
> What's the logical way to configure the thing when we have multiple
> servers and multiple mounts per server?  I'd think having two levels
> would make sense:
>
> 1) configure a connection (IP address, protocol, options)
>
> 2) mount instances of this connection into the tree
>
> This doesn't fit the current /etc/fstab model: the information
> currently contained therein would be split into two distinct sources,
> e.g.:
>
> /etc/fs-conn:
>
> foo {
>    type=nfs,
>    vers=4,
>    address = nfs.foo.com,
>    rsize=8192,
>    wsize=1048576,
> };
>
> bar {
>    type=nfs,
>    vers=3,
>    address = nfs.bar.com,
> };
>
> /etc/fs-mounts:
>
> foo /one /mnt/foo/one nosuid,nodev,ro
> foo /two /mnt/foo/two defaults
> bar / /mnt/bar noatime
>

> This closely matches what the kernel currently does (each entry in
> fs-conn will create a super block, each entry in fs-mounts will create
> a mount), except a certain amount of mind reading by the kernel is
> replaced with explicit configuration.
>
> So how can this be presented on the new API?  Simple: just make
> fs_context be nameable and persistent.
>
> Where that name resides (i.e. which namespace) is a good question,
> that I don't have an answer to.  Perhaps Eric...

I think it should be nameable but not mandatorily. So you create one and get an fd and then *optionally* name it. It could work exactly the way that network namespaces get names by iproute2.